PDA

View Full Version : Ok, kudos to the Geeks ...

Thumper
01-03-2019, 04:44 PM
I'll give credit where credit is due. I bought a new desktop just over 3 years ago and it was basically a pos. I picked it up at Best Buy and decided to go ahead and sign up with the Geek Squad … prolly just because they gave me the first year free to rope me in. Well, the new pos tower spit out the cooling fan just a couple months after the warranty expired. The Geeks replaced it, but I still had to pay for the part. Recently, I've had a problem with my monitor not coming out of sleep mode after a reboot/shut-down. I took it in and they diagnosed a fubar mother board. Ok, should I spend the money to repair a 3-1/2 year old computer that seems like it was a pos from day one, or should I simply spring for a new tower? I bought a tower.

Yesterday, during set-up, I noticed the background image was too big to fit on my monitor. (I have a 24" monitor) I tried all the adjustments I could find … tried to drop the resolution, etc. … all to no avail. Heck, I couldn't even access the icons to get on-line! Ok, I break down and call HP Tech Support. From the boiler room type background noise and the tech's crappy English skills, I believe my call went directly to Bombay. He had me perform about a zillion tasks, then said my monitor wasn't compatible with this computer. I called bullshit and asked to talk with someone else. Great, another Indian with an even harder to understand accent. After a total of 3-1/2 hours on the phone, my cell battery was down to 21% and Lynn had supper ready. I told them thanks for nothing, received a case number and called it a day.

Fast forward to today ... I again called HP Tech Support and got a woman on the line … with a bit easier to understand Indian accent. Cool. She briefed herself on the case from yesterday, had me stand on one leg with my forehead on the desk while grabbing my willy. That didn't work. After another hour of doing most of the same b/s I did yesterday, she said she was going to have to kick the case up to a "level 2". I asked WTF that was and she said she'd transfer me to an actual HP engineer. Ok, I got transferred, the guy sounded like he was an American (I think), but had a heavy Brooklyn type accent … sheeeesh! He gave me about 5-mins. of his time trying a few odds and ends, then said he was going to have to "go in and tweak my video card", but it would cost me $59.00. WTF? … I just bought the pos yesterday. He said it's not HP's fault … I don't have an HP monitor. DOUBLE WTF???? I told him thanks, but no thanks followed by a "bite me" (under my breath).

Ok, I called the Geeks at Best Buy and they told me to bring the tower and monitor down and they'd take a look at it. The Geek plugged it in, looked at the screen, unplugged the VGA cable and replaced it with a HDMI cable and all was fine. It took him all of 5 minutes (if that) to diagnose and "repair" my frigging computer! "F" all o'youse frigging Indian Hewlett Packard Tech Support jerk-offs! Oh, and you too Mr. Bronx … or wherever it is you call home. :angry1

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Another satisfied customer......don’t forget to respond to our customer service survey! Because we care!

BKB

airbud7
01-03-2019, 07:37 PM
what processor is in your old computer?....and your new one?

LJ3
01-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Dude... google your shit and you won't need to call any of those assholes.

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Hi, I’m Roger. Please place the on, off button in the on position.

BKB

airbud7
01-04-2019, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AynXoLjYrKc

Thumper
01-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Another satisfied customer......don’t forget to respond to our customer service survey! Because we care!

BKB

Ha! I received the survey today via eMail. Let's just say there were quite a few zeros in their ratings scale questions. Once I got to the "reason for your rating" section, I unloaded. Worthless mf'ers! :angryfire

Thumper
01-04-2019, 06:29 PM
what processor is in your old computer?....and your new one?

I don't really remember AB, I believe it was an AMD something or other. I chunked the pos out in the garage and I'm too lazy to go look right now. This new one has an "8th Generation Intel-Core i5+8400 ... whatever all that gibberish means. I don't need anything fancy. I'm not a gamer and the closest I might come to it is possibly watching a YouTube video from time to time. Much of my use is checking in here, to see what youse maroons are up to, or pay bills. I mostly use it to work on eBay, researching items and making listings, etc. Very simple tasks and nothing that would require a NASA clone.

airbud7
01-04-2019, 07:02 PM
That 8400 is a sweet processor...6 core Up to 4.0 GHz turbo...Nice pick/ overkill for your needs.

I'm running the 8700k and its super fast!

Thumper
01-04-2019, 07:26 PM
The main thing I wanted to do is get back to an Intel processor. I leave my computer on 24/7 and I've been told the AMD doesn't handle heat all that well. I have no clue, but ALL of my previous computers have had an Intel processor. It may be a Ford/Chevy thing for all I know, I just know that last computer was a PITA. I didn't mention it above, but I'd always had trouble with it dropping my (wireless) connection also, constantly. I never had that problem with our iPhones, tablet or my laptop ... just my desktop. I think it was pretty much fubar since the day I bought it. It was an ASUS if that means anything. My first and my last ASUS. I only need a basic computer .... maybe it was too basic, I dunno. :(

I looked at lower end processor (i3 I believe), but that model had very little memory compared to this model. I take, download and store a ton of photos (a LOT of eBay stuff) and didn't want anything I'd overwhelm with pics. I don't really follow this stuff, so I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to the inner workings. But the reason I buy Toyotas is that I want the frigging thing to start .... and do what I need it to do .... EVERY time I get in it. The same with computers. All I want is for the dang thing to turn on and do what computers are supposed to do ... EVERY time I use it! I've had HP's before and never had any major problems, but again ... it's prolly just a Ford/Chevy thing. The ASUS left a bad taste in my mouth. (no comment needed from the peanut gallery!)

airbud7
01-04-2019, 08:09 PM
You done good!...That chip alone is $200 bucks...