PDA

View Full Version : I'm prolly on TSA's terrorist watch list now!

Thumper
02-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Lynn and I have been (a few times) to Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken in downtown Memphis and it's always been on our "must go list" anytime we're in town. Yep, it's a dive, right downtown close to the river front. It's not the most attractive area, but areas like that is where you find the best food anydamnway! We've been to a few other locations around the country that have opened in recent years, but our hearts are with the downtown Memphis location and we WILL NOT miss it if in town. Yes, I said it's a dive ... not the greatest area ... but when they're open, expect a line leading from the inside, out the door and down the street. It's worth the wait. Here's what the joint looks like: (Hey, I SAID it's a dive!)

Well, while I was in Houston, Lynn called me and sounded all excited. She said she noticed there's now a Gus' in Houston! She begged me to PLEASE go there and bring some of their chicken home for her. I googled the address and mentioned it to my bro-in-law. All he said was that was all the way downtown in a bit of a "dark" neighborhood. (Note: he and my sis are NOT foodies by any stretch of the imagination and eating to them, is just a necessary evil) When I mentioned it was "for Lynn", they decided we'd head into downtown Houston for lunch on Saturday (my flight home was Saturday evening). Here's our lunch (note: the fries were for them, I had fried okra which had already been devoured before I took this pic)

After lunch, I ordered 3 chicken breasts to bring home for Lynn. We returned to my sis' house where I put the togo bag of chicken on the kitchen counter while I went upstairs to change and grab my suitcase for my return flight home. I came back downstairs with my suitcase and a small carry-on bag (CPAP machine), grabbed the togo bag off the counter and my sis and bil dropped me off at the airport. I flew back on Southwest which has no assigned seating and it's just first come, first served ... so I was in a bit of a rush to grab an isle seat ... otherwise, I'd be miserable as well as the two unlucky souls who'd have to sit next to my fat ass! I have TSA Pre-check, so I pretty much whipped through the TSA stop. That is UNTIL they pulled my bag of chicken out of the xray machine and put it aside. Ok, no big deal ... it's just three cooked chicken breasts, so there should be no problem. I was told to wait, which I did. There was a couple in front of me who had purchased a very expensive bottle of liquor as a gift and they were pulled aside and told they could not bring it aboard. This couple were total a-holes and were as nasty as they could be to the TSA agents. They were given the option of returning to the desk and checking the bag, but they refused. It turned into a LOOONG argument and eventually the TSA agent explained they had no other option and asked if they were going to agree to TSA confiscating it. The woman told him to enjoy it as she was SURE the agent was going to take it home with him. The agent informed her they were required to pour it out right there if they told them they did not want to check it. He then asked the couple if they agreed to those terms and they refused to answer. the agent again asked them and they said nothing. Again the agent told them he had to have a yes or no from them before he could dispose of it. They basically told him to stick it up his ass and refused to answer. They were nasty people and total a-holes. The agent finally poured it out into a container as the couple walked toward the plane.

Ok, by now I'm starting to get a little irritated because through that whole ordeal, my chicken had been sitting behind the TSA desk as people were streaming by me and grabbing the good seats on the flight. Grrrr! :angryfire

Now it's my turn, but I knew it would be a simple and quick process as soon as they looked into my bag at the measly 3-pieces of fried chicken. Of course, I had no clue why the "F" they'd pulled it in the first place. Well, my wait dragged on ... and on ... and on. I finally asked why they were holding me up for three lousy pieces of chicken? (all the while the totally booked flight is filling up fast!) I continued waiting and finally approached the desk again and asked them why I was being held for three fucking pieces of chicken??!! They told me they were waiting for a supervisor to get there. WTF?????

I figured they were a couple of dumbass, inexperienced lackeys who may have been hired during the gov't shutdown or sumpin'. Ok, people are still streaming by me grabbing the good seats and now I'm about to go full a-hole like the couple who had been ahead of me. I rarely get rude, but I was starting to make a few rude comments about incompetent wannabe jerk-offs working for TSA! Finally a supervisor arrived and was carrying my chicken like it had just emerged from Chernobyl or sumpin'. I gave him a disgusted look and made some smart-assed remark about their stupidity treating my frigging fried chicken like it was friggin' toxic waste or something. I continued to get more pissed as more people walked past me getting on the plane.

The agent started reaching in the bag as I continued my rant about having to stand there for 40 frigging minutes while they dealt with the couple ahead of me and holding my toxic-waste the whole time. I continued by reminding them how ridiculous they were for holding me up due to three fucking pieces of god-damned FRIED CHICKEN!!! The TSA supervisor then reached in with a gloved hand and lifted out a jar of peanut butter!!! WTF???

Then it hit me. My sis bought a jar of peanut butter at the store and it was a bogo. When she got the groceries home, she realized she'd picked up a jar of smooth as well as a jar of crunchy peanut butter. They do NOT like crunchy, but that's generally what I like to eat. I later found out that while I was upstairs showering, my sis slipped the jar of crunchy peanut butter into the bag of chicken as it was sitting on the kitchen counter top, but failed to mention it to me. Arrrggghhh!! I felt about 3" tall as the agent looked at me, rolled his eyes and set it aside for disposal. Sheeesh! Does that make me as big an asshole as the couple ahead of me? (don't answer that!)

I told Lynn she'd better REALLY enjoy her g'damned fried chicken! ;)

Oh, and if you ever have a chance to visit Gus' ... here's their story:

https://gusfriedchicken.com/about-us/

Arty
02-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Was there 3 dimes in the peanut butter?

Thumper
02-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Nope ... but there were three dime bags. (Hey Posty, do they still sell dime bags?) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-05-2019, 10:33 AM
You can’t buy anything for a dime these days, Thumper!

You can still drop a dime, though you’d be hard pressed to find anyone under 60 who even know how that originated or what it means.

Thump story....weed was most commonly Mexican grown in my youth and generally went for $10 a lid (bag). The lids were supposed to weigh an ounce but rarely ever did. I always swore if if got any higher than $10 a bag I’d quit smoking it. Then, I joined the USAF and after tech school got stationed in Tampa, Fl. That’s where I discovered Columbian Gold bud and Red bud, which was a whole different deal than what I was used to. And $30 an ounce. It was marvelous.
I did a lot of site surveys for telecom sites at small city airports in central and the west coast of Florida that were to used if a hurricane came and wiped out commercial telecom. Almost every small airport had a couple of old DC3’s parked there that were landed there in the night, illegal cargo unloaded, and abandoned. Then the cartels would buy the planes back at the local sheriff’s auction. Mother ship were regularly caught and before they could be boardedthe crew would throw bales of weed over the side and those bales were washing up everywhere along the west Florida coast. I always dreamed of finding one.
Recently, at the local weed dispensary in my town, they were selling weed that was supposedly a landrace strain from the old Columbian Gold line. I bought a few grams and it was amazingly like the old weed, a strong sativa. Now it sells for $15-17 a gram. And there is 28 grams in an ounce. You do the math.

We’re about over our fear of weed, and that is good. If it ain’t for you, that is perfectly fine too. But I’m glad to see that the old fears and paranoia about the dangers of weed are finally being put to rest.

Try some Columbian Gold if it comes to your state. Its some good shot, Maynard!

BKb

Chicken Dinner
02-05-2019, 10:54 AM
I thought all the drugs came across the border with Mexico? [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Interesting point. I don’t know if Florida is still a smuggler’s paradise these days or not. Remember the cigarette boats that were made popular in the 80’s were actually copied from the boats smugglers used to run back and forth from the mainland to the ‘mother ship’.

BKB

LJ3
02-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Jimmy, you've been a terrorist on KFCs list for a few decades. Pretty sure.

Thumper
02-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Ha! I "grew up" smoking "dirt weed" ... who knows where it came from? Most likely somebody's back yard ... but we'd take what we could get in the early days. Then in college, connections were easily made and I was introduced to the old classics ... Acapulco Gold and Maui Waui (or Maui Wowie depending on who you ask). It was generally good stuff for back in the day. Then I went into the Army and lost my "dealers" so ended up back with some dirt weed that was coming out of St. Louis, that is until I became fast friends with a dude in the barracks who'd just shipped in from Turkey. That crazy fucker actually smuggled a whole duffel bag of Turkish hash back with him! I couldn't tell you how much of that stuff I helped him "dispose of". It was a good run while it lasted. THEN I received orders for Vietnam and ended up headquartered in Thailand. A buddy who trained me on the Vietnamese mission introduced me to Thai Stick. I'd heard of it, but never had it. We shared a joint and I woke up later with his girlfriend wiping my face with a cold towel! WOW! That was some good shit Maynard! :fine

Later I went home with some of the local female talent and she had a room full of black lights and BL posters covering the walls ... classic Hendrix and the usual psychedelic posters of the day. She asked if I wanted to smoke a bowl and of course I did. She then walked over to a box ... I mean a BOX and reached in for a handful of uncut weed! I thought WTF??? That box was HUGE ... in fact it was for a console television from back in the day. You know, the "huge" TV with built in hi-fi radio and phonograph! I had to take a peek and it was the biggest stash I'd ever seen in my entire 19 years on this earth! As I learned my way around my newly adopted country, I found that the uncut, uncleaned weed, like she had, was FREE. Just ask for it. If your lazy ass wanted to BUY it, it was normally sold in bricks of 20 (or was it 25?) Thai Sticks, all cut, cleaned and ready to go .... for $2.50! It was a no-brainer. I couldn't tell you how many parties I had in my hooch where my Thai honey would sweep a couple pounds of spilled pot out of my "man-room" out into the yard! Everyone loved to party at my place as they got a kick out of my pet monkey (named Chico, a Gibbon ape actually) who loved to sit and get high with us. Pass him a joint and he'd take a hit, then pass it on. Before long he'd be hanging onto the ceiling fan riding it like some sort of carnival ride! He was a hoot, especially when he was stoned. I miss that little shithead to this day. Everyone loved him, but he was a daddy's boy.

I had a buddy (a local) in Cambodia who made me a BEAUTIFUL, hand-carved, bamboo bong that saw TONS of use through the years. When I was ready to come back to the states, I gave it back to him and told him I would not be able to take it back with me. A few days later he brought me a wad of hash as a gift for my going away party. He said he cut my bong open, scraped out the shitload of resin that was inside and made the hash for me! It was a GOOD party!

Then the reality of moving back to the states hit me. Life was/is much more complicated here. Even with a war going on back in the day, pot took a lot of the sting out of it. I used to look around the clubs and you could always tell the tokers from the drinkers. The tokers would sit quietly and smile at everybody and every thing. The drinkers would get sloppy drunk, fall down, barf their guts up, get obnoxious and many times end up in a brawl of some sort.

Thumper
02-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Oh yeah, and BITE ME Ticboy! ;)

Arty
02-05-2019, 02:44 PM
You used to get your monkey high? That’s f’d up!

Thumper
02-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Nope, he got HIMSELF high! He may have been an ape, but he was more “human” than some people I’ve known. He lived in the bungalow with us, but he wasn’t locked in. He loved running around playing with the village kids and the little shit would many times scam his way into having lunch or dinner with one of the neighbors.

He LOVED to have water balloon fights, but I could never teach him to fill his own balloons. He’d throw them faster than I could fill them!

One time my brother flew a supply mission to Vietnam and stopped for a visit. Apples were a rare delicacy in country, so he’d stopped in Guam to pick up a case of apples for my gf. (She LOVED apples) The inside of the bungalow was not finished, just open beam construction. There was a 2X4 running around inside of the house, about waist high. The gf placed each apple from the case around that “shelf” , then we went to a movie. When we got home, Chico was sitting on the couch holding his belly. He didn’t look too well and we were afraid he’d gotten into something he shouldn’t have. That’s when momma noticed EVERY one of her apples had ONE bite taken out of them and had been carefully placed back on the shelf. The next thing I knew, she was chasing Chico around the village with a butcher knife!

He loved riding my dirt bike with me and we took many trips together.

Then there was the night we had a party and he went outside (he had a little house on the deck if he wanted to stay there, but most of the time, he’d sleep with us). I had no running water, but did build a water tower with a large tank on top. I paid a village kid to keep it filled with water from the well. The morning after the party, I went out and noticed Chico was passed out on top of the water tower. He had also stuck a pair of my boxers on the end of a pole on top of the tower and they were blowing in the beeeze like a flag!

One of the weirdest things he did was the time he went out to play, but disappeared for a few hours. I was on the deck in my sarong (seldom had electricity and it was cooler out there). Next thing I knew, Chico came riding up to the porch on the back of a frigging elephant! The bungalow was on stilts (for the monsoon season) and was about 8-feet above the ground. The elephant walked over to the porch, Chico jumped onto the railing, then into my lap for a nap and the elephant continued on to wherever it was he was headed.

I could go on and on, but as you can tell, he was obviously not abused. He was the man of the house and did whatever he wanted to. If he wasn’t invited to our pot parties, he had no problem letting you know he was disappointed! 😉

BarryBobPosthole
02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
You sure his name wasn’t Cheetah?

BKB

johnboy
02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
What colour was the elephant? :biggrin

Chicken Dinner
02-05-2019, 06:24 PM
What, no monkey 3-way?

Arty
02-05-2019, 06:33 PM
What, no monkey 3-way?

Que the thump story in 3, 2, 1....

LJ3
02-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Did you teach the monkey to jerk off in a sock? Or did he just learn from watching ifyouknowwhatimean

Thumper
02-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Que the thump story in 3, 2, 1....

Gots a couple'a those ... but Chico wasn't with me. ;)

Thumper
02-05-2019, 06:55 PM
What colour was the elephant? :biggrin

Ha ha! I think that would be technicolor (technicolour?) Johnboy ... but that twern't from the MJ ... it was when I was dropping Window Pane. ;)

Man-o-man, that was a looong time ago. :hair