PDA

View Full Version : I thought this might be fun ....

Thumper
03-29-2019, 12:04 PM
This place has been so dead lately, I figured a post like this might be interesting. I remember back in the early i-net days, before things like identity theft and stalking were a concern, most of us actually used our REAL names as monikers. I remember back in the days of All-Outdoors, I think 99% of us went by our real names. But that all changed over time. Some monikers are pretty obvious to some of us, but to others, they may not make the connection. One no-brainer was our old friend Co9 (for Bill Conine). On the flip side, Mauserman (Bill Rummel) was an expert (literally) on Mauser rifles, so the connection is obvious to all who knew him, but to others, possibly not. Tony was "Gator", because he hunted alligators for a living. Arty used to go by Artifactman (I think?), but after a computer glitch or some odd thing (can't remember) it was shortened to Arty, but TBH, I don't remember (or never knew), where the moniker Artifactman came from (or if it even means anything at all). In the old All-Outdoors days, Larke used his real name and was actually a lieutenant with the Sheriff's Dept. By the time we started using monikers, he had been promoted to Captain, hence his "Captain" moniker which he still uses even though he was later to become the Police Chief ... so we know him as Captain, although Chief would be more fitting. Posthole? I believe he used to go by simply "Posthole". I used refer to him quite often as "Barry Bob", but I don't remember when Posthole became BarryBobPosthole. I also can't remember the whole story of where the moniker came from ... I do remember it was something about building fences with his (uncle maybe?) and using a post hole digger. Jog our memories Mr. P-hole. Heck, we can also chime in on old regulars who have passed (like Co9 or Mauserman), or even "regulars" who don't drop in anymore .... IF we remember their stories. Even if YOU think your moniker may be obvious, it may not be to all of us, so tell the story anyway. Remember Tallahassee T-bone? He changed his moniker to DILLIGAF so that the people he worked with and knew him as "T-bone" wouldn't find him on the web and realize he hung out with deplorables like us. Of course there will be some that will be pretty mundane and no-brainers ... ie; Helen was ... well ... Helen! Or like JB ... those are his initials, but I also remember him as Bubba. Not sure why he changed it, maybe Bubba sounded too southern for that old Yankee. I feel that even if YOU don't think the origin of your moniker would be interesting to anybody, let us be the judge. I guess I'll kick it off.

In the 70's & 80's, I raced dirt bikes on the west coast. I ran enduros, mostly in California, Nevada and Mexico. In 1979, Honda introduced the XL185. It was smaller, but I loved being the underdog and instantly fell in love with the Honda. I bought one as soon as they became available and immediately got it into "racing form" although it was a pretty darn good platform to start with. I was good enough on that bike to pick up a couple of minor sponsorships, one from SUDCO International, which kept me supplied with wear items like shocks, brakes, spark plugs, filters, tires, chains ... that sort of stuff. They also gave me a kick-ass Mikuni Carburetor (and any jets I needed) to replace the factory Keihin carb. THEN, my big break came when I picked up a minor sponsorship from Honda. Basically a "race bike", as the 185 was deemed, had no warranty once you took it out of the dealership's door. Honda granted me a full warranty for as long as I raced the bike! Anyway, to trim this Thump story down to under 1,000,000 words, the 185 was a 4-stroke engine. 99% of the racers were 2-strokes (hence the underdog thing I liked). Here's the definition of a "thumper" from the net:

"A thumper is a motorcycle powered by a large capacity single-cylinder 4-stroke engine, so called due to the thump-thump-thump sound the engine makes."

Needless to say, the racing crowd started referring to me as "Thumper" and the name has stuck through the years ... well, since 1979 anyway. My OLD racing buddies still refer to me as Thumper to this day.

Next ....

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 12:17 PM
When we first met TeeDub hishandle on AO was The WhiskeyJack. It was his initials (Terry Whitney) and is also a Canadian bird. A jaybird appropriately. He became TW and then TeeDub after we broke off from AO.
Terry was someone I will never forget. As nice a guy as you will ever meet and the most willing partner in crime I’ve ever met. If you have a habit of doing risky shit involving alcohol, Tee Dub would egg you on into unchartered territory, laughing all the way.
A Goodhunting legend.

BKB

Thumper
03-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Terry was someone I will never forget. As nice a guy as you will ever meet and the most willing partner in crime I’ve ever met. If you have a habit of doing risky shit involving alcohol, Tee Dub would egg you on into unchartered territory, laughing all the way. A Goodhunting legend.BKB

I could write a book on this subject ... and you're 100% correct! The Dubber "forced" me into MANY of those "risky shit" situations. Maybe we can start a separate thread someday as a tribute to the Dubber's ... ummm ... trouble-making. The trick was, he could come out smelling like a rose and looking innocent as hell, but the "innocent" accomplice would look like the "real" trouble-maker! :D

Ummm, so nimrod, what's the Posthole story again?

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 01:10 PM
I grew up on a small 160 acre farm in SE Oklahoma. I’ve dug more post holes than you can shake a stick at. We cut our own posts too, from post oak and cedar. After I left home my old man bought an auger and switched over to t-posts.
To make matters worse, my best buddy and I both left our parents homes at the same time and were room mates. We’d still get up on Saturdays and build fence at HIS parent’s 160 acre farm.
Hence....Posthole. Also meant as a semi-pun for where posts on social networks go to die.

BKB

quercus alba
03-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Sometimes a seegar is just a seegar

Captain
03-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Hell where Kribbs lives he should have been called Goofey for SEVERAL reasons.

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 05:40 PM
Melonhead would have been appropriate too.

BKb

Thumper
03-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Double post AFTER you "fixed" the problem. And I'M the melonhead? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 05:55 PM
For some reason I was thinking Jeff of jeff&gabby was a vet. Not sure of the VN part, but he would have been the right age.

BKB

Thumper
03-29-2019, 06:00 PM
For some reason I was thinking Jeff of jeff&gabby was a vet. Not sure of the VN part, but he would have been the right age.BKB

If so, I don't remember it. I believe he was younger also, but not positive. TBH, I'm not so sure Jeff would have been able to pass the entrance exam ... for ANY of the services! ;)

I wonder if Gabby and ER are still an item and traveling the country on his motorcycle? :D

(and I see one of your (double) posts disappeared) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 06:18 PM
That pair was something else.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 06:22 PM
And then there is Gus, The Armpit with Eyes. He needs to come back around. Shooter of prairie dogs, inventor of the term ‘pink dust’.

BKB

Thumper
03-29-2019, 06:25 PM
That pair was something else. BKB

Pair? My post was 3 sentences and it's possible to extrapolate a pair from each of them! Which pair are you referring to?

1) Gabby & Jeff
2) Gabby & ER
3) Your two posts, of which one conveniently disappeared

:laughing

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2019, 06:28 PM
This pair, Darrell.

BKB

Thumper
03-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Works for me! :D

jb
03-29-2019, 07:15 PM
Jeff and Gabby live in the next town down from me. Jeff invited me to his biker wedding but I felt very out of place so said thanks, but now thanks.
Jeff teamed up with another poster on AO, forgot his name, they were pretty thick for a while. Posted a trip report on a pig hunt in TN.
What ever happened to our CIA buddy, Carnivore or Chesapeake, I think he had some marriage problems ?

DeputyDog
03-29-2019, 08:17 PM
My handle is pretty obvious. I’m a Deputy Sheriff so Deputy Dog is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
03-29-2019, 09:25 PM
y'all do realize I'm Chuck Norris Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HoFIamOLig

Thumper
03-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Bubba, I’m not sure about your question. Carnivore and Chessie were two different people. Carnivore went to work for NSA, so he’s probably afraid to be associated with us deplorables. Although I’ve hung around and downed quite a few beers with both of them, I really can’t remember why Chessie moved on. I’m sure Len could fill in the blanks. Then there was Bubbles, she and Hard Rock hooked up, moved on, and also quit talking to us. I’m not sure what the deal is with those NOVA people. 😉

Arty
03-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Thumper, you are correct on mine...
I registered here as artifactman, because at the time (1999 I’m pretty sure) I was selling arrowheads on eBay. I was selling 75-100 a week, it was a dang near full time job. Annnnywho, artifactman was my username on eBay, and i just decided to use that when I registered here.

I changed it to arty when the old site went down and everyone had to re-register on the new site.

Thumper
03-30-2019, 06:43 AM
Thumper, you are correct on mine...
I registered here as artifactman, because at the time (1999 I’m pretty sure) I was selling arrowheads on eBay. I was selling 75-100 a week, it was a dang near full time job. Annnnywho, artifactman was my username on eBay, and i just decided to use that when I registered here.

I changed it to arty when the old site went down and everyone had to re-register on the new site.

Dang! 75-100/week? I have to assume those were modern-made arrowheads?? 'Course, then they wouldn't be artifacts I guess. Heck, that's a story within a story. What was the deal with the arrowheads?

Arty
03-30-2019, 07:02 AM
They were all authentic old points.
I got into it through my dad who was an avid, let’s say addicted collector. I had contacts with a few of the people that he bought, sold, and traded with. eBay was sorta in its infancy and I quickly figured out that I could triple my money on a $5-10 point.
I’d buy $300 worth of points every Saturday from one of my dads “suppliers” and turn it into a grand.

HideHunter
03-30-2019, 11:31 AM
HideHunter - goes back to the old CB days.. I was pretty much a full time 'coon hunter and trapper.. "Hidehunter" was a bit of a derogatory term among the competition hunters - so I "took it back". ;) Also had a great-great- (something) uncle who had partnership in a large buffalo hunting concern in KS..

Thumper
03-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Cool! That could be another thread. Old CB handles. I was Maddog. Can’t remember my license number. KVF4032 I think. (??)

Trav
03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
I am Trav cause, well it’s pretty self explanatory.

Bwana
04-01-2019, 10:17 AM
My handle was given to me by my hunting buddies. I tend to have a knack for seeing critters that others, they, aren't always able to pick out and though not good at much else, can usually make the stars align when it comes to hunting said critters so they call me Bwana like the great white hunters of Africa.

Couple that with being an engineer that isn't overly creative I used the first thing that came to mind.

BarryBobPosthole
04-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Bwana, here all this time I thought it was be ause of that old tv show Jungle Jim. His sidekick/bearer was always saying ‘Yes Bwana’ whenever he’s tell him to go fetch something.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
04-01-2019, 12:31 PM
I keep up with Carnivore on FB some and we’ll exchange an occasional text. He did get divorced fairly recently and the last I heard he tried to hit on one of LJ’s daughters in a bar and got shot down in flames. I could be wrong, but I think Chesapeake finally got tired of Bucky running down people who worked for the government and left. He used to work down the street from me and we had lunch once or twice.

LJ3
04-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Jeff and Gabby live in the next town down from me. Jeff invited me to his biker wedding but I felt very out of place so said thanks, but now thanks.
Jeff teamed up with another poster on AO, forgot his name, they were pretty thick for a while. Posted a trip report on a pig hunt in TN.
What ever happened to our CIA buddy, Carnivore or Chesapeake, I think he had some marriage problems ?

Carny (Grant) is alive and well in my area still. He works for a large beltway bandit, not in spook city any longer. Recognized my youngest in a bar and she did tell him as he approached "I don't have Daddy issues!" I witnessed all this while facetiming her :)
Chessie (steve) I touched based with a year or two ago. He still lives in Md with his wife and kids.

My handle is easy so I don't forget. Wait, what were we talking about?

Penguin
04-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Carny always seemed a little... intense. In a "Here, try a valium with those chicken wings!" kind of way. :o

We had some characters pass through the doors of this joint and that's a fact. I forget a lot of the history but I remember it again when it's brought up by someone else. The internet has changed and I've changed in the last couple decades.

Will

DeputyDog
04-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Wasn’t there some story about a Colombian or Brazilian au paire with one of those two?

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2019, 04:07 PM
I believe Carny had an au paire he was perving on pretty steady.

The story of him shitting his pants is a Goodhunting classic.

BKB

Thumper
04-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Yeppers .... Mr. Shitmypants wasn't it?

DeputyDog
04-02-2019, 07:06 PM
I remember that one. I thought he was the one with the au paire but wasn’t sure.

Thumper
04-02-2019, 07:27 PM
JB has an old pair. Izzat the same? ;)

Chicken Dinner
04-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Bam!