PDA

View Full Version : Math Question

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Math test.

Bisquick comes in 40 and 60 ounce boxes.

Recipe for pancakes is 2 cups Bisquick, 1.5 cups milk, and 2 eggs, for a batter that makes 12 pancakes.

I need to make 120 pancakes.

How many boxes of Bisquick do I need to buy? How many eggs? How much milk?

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Zero. Buy 20 boxes of Pioneer Brand Pancake mix instead. Its better.

and a bunch of milk and a bunch of eggs. Or very happy chickens for a couple weeks.

and a big cast iron griddle.

and about 50 pounds of Owens Country sausage to go with it.

BKB

BKB

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Pioneer is better. So figure it that way. They also make a 40 oz box.

And I'd never eat Owns Country so long as Jimmy Dean is still in business. But I also will be buying either Petit Jean or Wright brand thick bacon. I figure 5 pancakes each, 22 guys, two sausage patties, and 4-5 bacon strips.

But you haven't told me how much to buy. Did you not go to school?

I need 120 pancakes. Go figure it. I need it by tonight, going to store tomorrow. That is all.

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
By the way, you get WAY extra points if you can answer this and THEN tell me the four 'secret' ingredients that make pancakes so good they'll make your tongue slap the roof of your mouth till your head aches.

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
FOUR?

And the answer is: a shitload of each.

And you gots some big eaters.

I'm interested to hear your secret ingredients. I am a pancake lover. Not too good a fixer but I sure like to eat 'em.

BKB

Thumper
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
And this question is being asked by an Arkansas (ex)math teacher. I guess that tells ya' sumpin' 'bout the Arkie public school system! ;)

Thumper
01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
One question I've been waiting MANY years to have answered is: Why do hot dogs come 10 to a pack while buns are 8 to a pack?

I'm still waiting ..................

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
I KNOW the answer.

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Posthole, I hate putting this on the internet, but it IS public if you are a 'noticer' anyway.

Add:
Lemon juice
baking powder
vanilla
sugar

how much of each depends.........vanilla is the only one you taste anyway, and I go a little nuts with that.

And I now have "big load of stuff" on my grocery list. (you're no help.....although I already know the answer. However, converting dry measure cups to pounds is not an easy conversion to find!!!)

Big Muddy
01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
MY secret pancake ingredient is buttermilk, instead of regular milk....can't taste it, after cooking, but they're 10 times fluffier.

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I do the same Eddie. I mainly make waffles these days. And 99% of the time put pecans in mine and blueberries in Julie's.

BKB

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm gettin' hungry.

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Supper is on the stove. And smelling better by the post.

BKB

Buckrub
01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Crock pot deer chili has been going since noon.

Cornbread in the oven.

LW
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
For the love of God. There is not sausage worth eating after you have had Blue and Gold sausage. Posthole the Okie knows of what I speak. It's a crying shame that I can't share the secret firehouse pancake recipe with ya. It's a secret.

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
I like Blue and Gold bacon too, LW. The problem with Blue and Gold products is my 'connection', a young lady in FFA here in Owasso, is gonna graduate soon so I'm gonna have to find somebody else to buy from.

and I sure wish we'd have had girls in Ag when I was in high school! Would have made field trip to castrate calves a lot more fun!

BKB

Niner
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Here's another math question for ya..........

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/neg_LI8-Ljo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hotshot
01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Pancakes are best with blueberries! Nothing better than real maple syrup.
I also always slap some peanut butter on pankcakes- if you are new to this- try it. You'll never do pancakes any other way. Gotta put the peanut butter on right away so it gets melty gooey. Then pour on the syrup.

Eggs....Every year I seek out a studnet who has chickens at home. I buy direct. This year's supplier has several different breeds of chickens. I get Brown eggs, Blue eggs, little, big.... I get a dozen every 2 weeks. I never know what each dozen will bring. The girl is proud as can be to deliver. I give her the asking price:$1.00 a dozen and on occasion a tip she can use at lunch to buy an extra something.

Buckrub
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
You Yankees. When y'all talk about food, I just smile and look the other way. Sorry, Scott. Next thing you know, youse guise will be boiling them.

And blue eggs you say? Well......um............ OK, then.

LW, we ain't got Blue and Gold sausage. I'll look harder, but I've never seen it.

And my pancake recipe ain't a secret, really. It's printed right on the back of Bisquick boxes!!! I was told that, and told the guy he was lying, and he showed me. Look for it, it's there. And I swear, it makes 'em larrupin. Haven't tried buttermilk, might do that. And I'm open to recipes. But adding peanut butter to an otherwise perfectly good pancake ain't a recipe! Harrumph.

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Its not sold in stores. I think you can buy it in Arkansas though. Just contact the local FFA at your local high school. I'll bet they sell it. It started out as a way FFA raised money for its projects here in Oklahoma and now a bunch of different schools and school type organizations sell their stuff to raise money. I don't know if it's still this way, but the meat products used to come from animals raised by FFA members. their bacon and sausage beats anything I've tried from the store.

BKB

Thumper
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Ha! Funny you should mention those eggs Scott. Lynn and I have a pact ... we refuse to pay over $1.00/doz. for eggs ... and we go through a TON of eggs here. In fact, my normal lunch at home is a fried egg sammich with a slice of melted cheese and (if I have it) maybe a thin slice of ham or some bacon. Or a scrambled egg burrito, also with a bit of bacon if available. We go to the market and they have a frigging dozen eggs at $2.79/doz. and people pick them up without even thinking. We can normally find eggs at Dollar General Market or Aldi for $0.99 - $1.00/dozen and stock up. We did stop at a little house close by that had a sign in the yard that advertised "farm fresh organic eggs" for sale and stopped. It was an old woman there by herself and she just had a bunch of "free-range" chickens running around the yard. We bought 2-dozen eggs from her, but about shit when she told us the price! She sold them for $3.00/dozen and they were about the size of frigging quail eggs! They were also green, blue, brown or white. Needless to say, because of the ridiculous price, we've never been back.

hotshot
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey- the peanut butter is from Southern Indiana. Which the majority of the people have a connection to Virginia ancesterally. I eat collards, ham and beans, and many other southern dishes. I still Warsh my clothes and dishes, after living in northern Indiana. I also owna smoker which I use to create meat of high quality Most around me speak with a MEE-chigan accent...... I keep to my roots. Try the peanut butter, Daym Gud!
Okay so the eggs are bluish green in color.... One chicken breed lays pretty eggs

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Guilty as charged. My only thing is I buy brown eggs. They seem to be fresher and taste better IMO. Growing up, we always got our eggs from chicken farmers and we got the ones that didn't pass inspection. Double and triple yokers and oddly shaped ones. I think my parents only paid pennies for them compared to regular store bought eggs. We raised our own chickens until I was about 15 or so and of course we got our own eggs and butchered a chicken once in a while but they got to be more of pain to maintain just for eggs and meat so we got out of the business. You could buy chicks for 2 cents apiece at the hardware store then and even though we fed once a day, they mainly were raised on bugs they could scratch out of the yard (yeah, our chickens were 'free range', only we didn't call them that. that's why I call them yardbirds) I still contend those chickens fried up better than any grain fed chicken I've ever eaten.

BKB

hotshot
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
If ya bring your own carton, eggs up here are about a $1.00 a dozen.
I actually would like to have a few chickens in my yard. I think it would be fun. Mamma Hotshot says no so far.... I mentin it from time to time.

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
they're too hard to keep off the porch!

BKB

hotshot
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
My parents in Indy have shared with me that Citified people are now forming chicken cooperatives. If you fence in your yard you are allowed chickens in many citites. People buy/ sell/ share/ trade eggs and chickens.
And yes yard birds taste better than grocery store birds. Come to think of it, the last time I saw a whole chicken in a grocery store has been a long time! Seems people buy birds by the part: breats, thighs, and most often recently:wings.

Buckrub
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Jase on Duck Dynasty just brought some home one time, without asking.

His wife crapped, but it was the Homeowners Association that nailed him. I'm glad I ain't got one of those.

Chickens here just attract coyotes. And I don't eat eggs 'cept in recipes.

HideHunter
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I seldom buy sausage because most of what you get around here is and I quote is "a nice mild breakfast recipe". An number of years ago a friend from down eddie's way gave me some mix from Rebel Butcher Suppy out of Jackson. I take 50% pork - 50% deer and about a tbls per pound of his mix - give it a healthy xtra shake of sage and crused red peppers (cause I like plenty of both) and it makes a hell of a sausage.

As far as pancakes - I kept a sourdough going for some years when the kids were home. They absolutely loved them sourdough pancakes. I called it Herman - and I finally killed it by not using it enough. I got it from a buckskinner friend and it was supposed to be from some Mountain Man's stock and been passed around anf kept alive all these years. I'm not sure I believed it, but the kids got a kick out of it. ;)

Thumper
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
I LOVE eggs ... in recipes, hard-boiled, soft-boiled, poached, scrambled, fried sunny-side-up or flipped ... doesn't matter. My all-time favorite breakfast is a big ol' glob o'grits, a couple eggs (sunny-side-up) and a couple slices of bacon. I stack the whole mess up in a pile, slice it all up and make almost a soup out of it ... then eat it with toast (with butter, peanut butter and jam of course)! Eggs are one of my staples.

In Thailand they have an omelette that is to die for. There, it's made from duck eggs ... but they're just as good with chicken eggs. (The English spelling is all over the map ... Khai Jiao, Khai Jeow or Khai Jiaw) Lynn has it perfected and can make a Thai Omelette that's just as good as any I've ever eaten in Thailand. I lay the omelette over white rice, add a bit of Thai chili/garlic sauce mixed with vinegar to the omelette and ... as Bucky would say ... Larrupin! Problem is, it doesn't exist on the menu at ANY Thai reataurant I've ever been to in the states. BUT ... if I ask, the cook will usually whip one up for me. Heck, they're even kind of hard to find in Thailand ... it's one of those "homemade" things that usually aren't served outside the home.

Sunshine
01-30-2013, 02:09 PM
We eat organic brown eggs at $4.50 a doz.

Don't eat a lot of eggs, so I'm willing to pay the price.

Used to have a lady, on her organic farm, that I'd get blue, brown , green eggs and duck eggs. $2.50 doz
Those duck eggs are huge. Made brownies, one time, with duck egg. Couldn't tell the difference between it and regular eggs.

Never knew what color eggs I'd get, each week, but I love the taste of the green ones.

She lost her farm, when the economy went in the toilet. :(

I've got the starter recipe for that HERMAN, around here somewhere. I kept it going for my kids too.

Thumper
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
$4.50 for a dozen frigging eggs!!!!! Sheeesh! You REALLY are blonde! ;)

P-hole ... Brown eggs ... white eggs ... there ain't no difference except in yer noggin. I think we had this discussion here once before.

Sunshine
01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't like paying that Thump, but there's no place around here with organic brown, mix colored eggs.
I miss that lady and all her organic fed animals.

Until I can find another organic chicken farmer, I'm stuck.
We only eat brown or mixed colored organic eggs.

For those, that haven't had an organic fresh egg, there is a big difference in taste and color of yoke.

I beg to differ about taste difference and healthier between regular eggs and the colored eggs.

The green ones are the best. Don't know which hen lays the green ones.
Blues next in line for favorite.

Buckrub
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Every study says "organic" food makes not one whit of difference.

Thumper
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
'cept in your haid! It's one of those "California things" that spread across the country. An egg is a frigging egg .. the only difference is, ya' get's fresh ones ... or ya' gets not so fresh ones ... depends on where ya' buys 'em. A chicken's ass is a chicken's ass no matter how ya' look at it. ;)

Thumper
01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
This is good! Ya' gots ta' love Penn & Teller! ;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tq6d7JKS53w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
It doesn't mean a whit unless you care about stuff like pesticides and fertilizers. the 'organic' label as its currently used has been really stretched, mainly by the big food producers so that its a lot more meaningless. Still, if you can eat whole foods grown without that bullshit and preferably grown in your region by farmers and not processed, it is much healthier.

Otherwise, continue to eat your velveeta cheese sammiches.

and Thump, yes there is a difference between brown eggs and white eggs, at least the ones we get here. for somebody who claims not to be able to cook, you sure claim to know a lot about cooking.

BKB

Arty
01-30-2013, 06:57 PM
The eggs I get from down the road (local fresh) are a va-zillion times better than any at the grocery store
Taste is night and day.
They're brown mostly but the white ones are night and day different too.

Buckrub
01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
God will prolly kill me, but I agree with Thump.

Thumper
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
I may not be a "cook", but I can sure cook a frigging egg! Besides, we're not talking about COOKING here ... we're talking about EATING ... and I consider myself an expert in THAT field! ;)

I saw a special on one of the Food Channel shows (it stays glued to that channel if Lynn's home) and it said the "pesticide free organic" b/s is just that ... b/s. One of those investigative thingies I think. I'll see if I can find something about it. As for taste ... hogwash ... there ain't no frigging difference 'cept in yer haid (did I already say that?)

Buckrub
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Man's getting smarter all the time. He never agrees with me, but hey. Look, Jack, the man knows his eggs, ok?

Y'all are all eggsackly iggurnunt on this subject. My main man Thump is the MAN. Listen to him.

Thumper
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Ha ha! I just started looking and I was overwhelmed with all that's out there. The "general" consensus seems to be "organic" is for the tree-huggers ... no other real benifit other than thinking you're saving planet earth.

The FIRST thing that popped up is something for Barry's brown egg argument though ...

Brown eggs: They’re associated with being more natural and nutritious. The reality? It’s simply the breed of the hen that determines the color of the eggs.

Worth any extra cost? No. There’s no significant nutritional difference between white and brown eggs, and brown eggs aren’t more “natural” than white. The main reason brown eggs tend to cost more is that the hens that lay brown eggs are larger, and therefore require more feed.

Thumper
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm gonna bail out'ta here and hop in the shower. I think this is nothing but one of those Ford/Chevy type arguments. We ALL know Toyota is the best ... it's just that some have the "perception" they buy the better truck at their local Chevy/Ford dealer! :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
it has nothing to do with saving planet earth. it has to do with eating pesticide and fertilizer free stuff. and I can crack a brown egg and a white on in a pan and show you the damned difference. the brown egg yolks are dark yellow, almost orange, and the white ones are pale ass sickly yellow. also the brown yokes hold together and the white one break if you just look a them.

Yoke integrity. that's what its all about man. and the hens that lay brown eggs are smarter.

BKB

Thumper
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
That same issue was addressed on the net also. Smarter??? Surely you aren't talking about Okie chickens, are you? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Thumper. You are unhinged.

BKB

Thumper
01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
UNHINGED???? Hey! Wait a dang minute. Ummmm, is that better or worse than deranged?

Buckrub
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
See? See what he does?? Typical Liberal Commie Pinko argument tactic. He has NO logical argument whatsoever, but can't stand or admit he's wrong, so he reverts to name calling. THEN he'll say "no, I didn't call you a name...........". No, he just blatantly implied one. So he's not truthful either.

And you're gonna buy eggs from this man? Really?

P.S.
I'm taking out of date Kroger yellow-carton white eggs to make pancakes with. So phttthhhpphhhh.

HideHunter
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
I'll tell you this.. up until about a year ago I ate deer steak and eggs for breakfast almost *every* morning. I eat them, poached, soft-boiled or fried. I now have switched to a bowl of bran flakes and blueberries or oatmeal (seldom) every other morning. I have a friend who keeps a few chickens. He lets them out to have the run of the place during the day and locks them up at night. Feeds them a little cracked corn - other than that they are on their own. There is *no* comparison in what Barry calls "yoke" integrity or in *flavor* between "dirt chicken" eggs and styrofoam carton eggs.

And if you haven't had a "dirt chicken" to eat in the past 10 years - you've forgotten what chicken tastes like.

hotshot
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Ddi we ever get to figuring our how much pancake batter to buy?
I say go with the premixed stuff. Buy 10 boxes. If ya have any left over, take it home.

LJ3
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
You guys make me NEED a drink...