PDA

View Full Version : The Most Anticipated Fishing Season

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2019, 09:28 AM
I mean, there are seasons and then there are spring, summer, fall, and winter. There’s deer seasons, the rut, the crappie spawn, the bluefish run (if you like those nasty things), the bass gettin’ on the beds, the catfish spawning on the rip rap, the walleye spawning when its almost still winter, and so on.

What’s your most anticipated season?

Mine is July, when we go to Canada to fish. I have been addicted to that lake since 2004. I’ve only missed two years that I can recall. One was for Renaldo. And since I’m getting older, its the eagles, the northern lights, and the loons that I appreciate more and more. That doesn’t mean I appreciate the fish any less. Truth be told, I’d prolly do for the smallies alone. But a valid opportunity to catch a lifetime walleye is also an awesome anticipation.
And oh yeah, the weather in western Ontario in July and August is the tits.
I’ll probably stop going when that feeling goes away.

What’s yours?

BKb

quercus alba
04-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Since you specified fishing, I guess that leaves out college football. If I’m fishing for panfish, I like mid May. The bream are fat and will attack wet flies and popping bugs with equal enthusiasm.

If I’m fishing for bass, I actually prefer late September through October. They’re utterly vicious and will hit top water, worms, crankbaits and spinnerbaits. I actually prefer to fish Rapala or the Smithwick Rogue then.

I like to catfish at night during the hot summer months

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2019, 10:30 AM
I really didn’t intend it to be just fishing and messed up with the title.

There’s plenty others. Morel picking season is right frigging now. Turkeys gobble in spring, etc etc etc

BKb

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2019, 10:37 AM
It’s definitely deer season for me. Fall is my favorite season to begin with and I’m like a kid at Christmas anticipating the Opener every year. Like you, it’s more than just the hunt at this point. I look forward to spending time at Camp, watching non-game wildlife and just watching the sun come up over the Blue Ridge and/or Allegheny’s. Those mountains have some old bones.

I dearly would like to see the Northern Lights at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
04-23-2019, 11:37 AM
I always anticipated Canada bear season the most. I went every year for close to 30 years. In the earlier days, we went up for Spring bear and Fall bear season. Of course, 80% of the time, we were on the lake fishing for walleye ... but would catch the occasional slime-snake.

The lake we were on was 17 miles long and we were on the far end ... far away from ANY civilization ... quite a ways ABOVE the Arctic Circle in fact. It was a primitive log cabin on a small island with a wide open view of the lake. No electricity, no running water, but we did have an outhouse (1-holer) and a bag of lime. ;)

One of my fondest memories was one night after my buddy and I already had our bears, we went out on the lake walleye fishing and ended up just shutting the motor off, laid down (one on each end of the boat) and just drifted in total silence on the lake while looking up at the stars and "The Lights". The only sounds were the ripples hitting the sides of the aluminum boat and the loons "talking". Man-o-man, it don't get no better that that. I do miss it. My buddy passed away a few years back, but those annual trips are still in my old noggin as nothing but fond memories now.

The Northern Lights were AWESOME. We had a large, hand made bench in front of the cabin made from a long log sliced down the middle plus whatever folding chairs we brought along. We spent many nights sitting on that old log watching the show.

I guess I don't have any more "seasons" to get excited about. I just get excited about when our next cruise will be ... and I don't care what season it is. In the winter, the Caribbean will do. In the summer, Alaska is fine. Spring and Fall, take your pick. I could easily live on one of those ships if I could afford it. I guess priorities change when you get old and decrepit. :(

LJ3
04-23-2019, 12:22 PM
I used to be all about the hunting.

Now it's spring and fall fishing bites locally. Ontario for everything that is good about the outdoor life! And maybe a 30" wally. Or a 23" smallie.

The older I get, the less important fish in the boat become. Spending time with good friends doing stuff outside is what keeps me ticking.

Big Muddy
04-23-2019, 05:30 PM
1. I gotta go with QA on the night-time catfishing.....that oughta be a requirement for kids with their grandpa's.
2. Next, I gotta go with CD on the deer hunting.....if I never fire another shot at a deer, opening day is great.
3. Next is spring turkey season.....oh, how I love to out-smart those devilish toms.
4. Next is the spring crappie spawn.....better than sex, for 4 weeks a year.
5. Next, like Len and Barry, it's no longer about the killing or catching.....I'll quit when that feeling goes away, too.
6. Lastly, sorry Thump, if I ever get on another cruise ship, it'll be to bury me at sea.....I'd rather just walk. ;)

Thumper
04-23-2019, 05:50 PM
6. Lastly, sorry Thump, if I ever get on another cruise ship, it'll be to bury me at sea.....I'd rather just walk. ;)

All that means is that you've been sailing on the wrong cruise line. It's kind'a like driving a Ford ... you just haven't discovered Toyota yet. ;)

Oh, and one more thing ... NOTHING is better than sex! 'Course, it could be the same as the Toyota/cruise thing ... you just haven't ... no, I better not go there ... Mrs. Muddy might come down and thump me on my noggin! :smash

Big Muddy
04-23-2019, 06:02 PM
^^^^^HaHa^^^^^

Arty
04-25-2019, 08:29 AM
I got several of them...

Muzzleloader opener is #1, recently back to having a place to hunt, reminded me of the passion I have for deer hunting.

Largemouth spawning is #2. When they get up on their beds and will attack any and every thing around it, that’s hard to beat

Camping “season”. We always go camping as a family somewhere around the end of May to mid June. This year it’s June 14. This will be year number 16 in the same campground.

Football (pro) season. Always loved that and anticipate it throughout preseason

Last but not least.... when the first chill gets in the air, and the women put on the yoga pants with the real high boots.... I love that season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
04-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Last but not least.... when the first chill gets in the air, and the women put on the yoga pants with the real high boots.... I love that season.

And that's another reason I love Florida. We don't get that "chill in the air," so the wimmins are half nekkid year-round. :thumbsup

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2019, 09:11 AM
I’ve always been a fan of fall fashion. the low cut stuff seems to come out then. And I’m a fan of yoga pants in all seasons, at least as long as I’m not in a Walmart.

I’m with Muddy on the cruises. And there’s some bad juju that goes around those big buffet lines on those ships where everyone gets the dirty hurries. No thanks.

The first time I saw the northern lights Julie and I were camping right on the edge of the BWCA in the arrowhead part of Minnesota. I understood completely some of the things primitive folk thoughts stuff like that meant.
The very best time though was when I was caribou hunting in Canada. The camp’s nicest little building was where everyone met up at night to drink and bs. I got into the habit of talking to the Inuit guides until the wee hours. They are some drinking sumbeeches. Every night we’d stumble outside to make our way to our bunks and we’d have to stand in the cold for a half hour and whistle at the lights. Their tradition is that whistling at them makes them blow up bigger. It seems to work! They were colorful up there.

BkB

Thumper
04-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Did you use the tried and true Walleye whistle? ;)

johnboy
04-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Most anticipated? For many years it would probably be the start of the dirt bike season. We always went on the first trip of the year on the mid-May long weekend (Victoria Day), no matter the weather. Snow, rain or shine we were out in the tulies somewhere. When I backed off on dirt bikes it became the walleye opener that, coincidently was around the same time.

Bwana
04-25-2019, 02:10 PM
For me it is the pheasant and deer openers as both involve wonderful traditions with family and friends.

Captain
05-08-2019, 09:14 AM
I like outdoor boinking season the best.
Other than that it’s whatever is biting or available to shoot
Turkey, deer, rabbits, it don’t matter as long as I’m outside.
I can be just as happy catching a crappie, bream, bass as I am catching a big bull drum or tarpon.
It makes no difference to me what’s biting. As long as I’m out there.