PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Can't ask for better than that!

Thumper
04-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Wednesday evening, I started researching on-line for a new chainsaw. Once I found the item I wanted, I went shopping. Lowes carries it. Home Depot carries it. Tractor supply carries it and Walmart carries it. ALL of these retailers are close to my house so it'll be a piece of cake as now all I have to do is shop price, then drive 10-mins. to pick one up!

Ok, Walmart had the lowest price, but I get a 10% veteran's discount at Lowes and Home Depot which brings their prices a little below Wally World.

I called Home Depot. Don't stock it, will have to order on-line. Ok, screw that. If I order on-line, they don't give the veteran's discount which would place it higher than Home Depot, Walmart or even Tractor Supply.

I called Lowes. Same song and dance. Don't stock it. Have to order on-line. No vet. discount with on-line orders. (checked them off the list also)

I checked Walmart. They don't have one in stock at any of their local stores. Will have to order on-line. Never mind!

I checked Tractor Supply. They're the highest priced, but they're VERY close to me, so I'll swallow the price difference to be able to get it asap. Nope. Don't stock it. Will have to order on-line! ARRRGGGGHHH!

Then I thought of Amazon! Duh! Yep, they have 'em listed also and all are priced within $10 of each other. I also have a buddy who has Amazon Prime, so he lets me use his account. A quick check with Amazon and I found out the item does not qualify for Prime and it'll be a week to 10-days for delivery. F..K! We'll be in Los Angeles then. Never mind!

Ok, with NOBODY in town carrying it and NOBODY giving veteran's discounts for on-line orders, Wally World beats 'em all. I go on-line to order one from Wally World. It's almost midnight on Wednesday night and they tell me it'll be delivered to MY HOUSE by Friday. Huh? No way. Awww, WTF, I ordered it anyway. The frigging thing hit my front porch an hour ago! I checked their tracking and it was picked up in Tampa at 8:30 am and arrived on my doorstep a few minutes after 10:00 am! AND, with no discounts offered by any of the other outlets, Wally World beat ALL their prices.

Say what you want about Walmart, but they have their shit together! :thumbsup

P.S. I forgot to mention, that was free shipping!

jb
04-26-2019, 11:27 AM
So you left out the most important info. WHAT KIND IS IT !!!

Hombre
04-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Walmart took a loooong time to actually catch on to the on-line thing, and adapt to compete with Amazon but they really seem to have turned a corner lately.

Thumper
04-26-2019, 01:31 PM
So you left out the most important info. WHAT KIND IS IT !!!

Oh, I didn't mention that for a reason Bubba, it is NOTHING that will excite anyone here. I have two gas chainsaws in the garage, but starting and holding/running them with my back situation pretty much wipes me out in no time flat. I now have to hire someone to do most chainsaw work that I'd normally do myself. I just decided I wanted to try an electric chainsaw (What's that? Did I just hear 10-15 people moan?). The problem is, I've never used an electric saw before, but knew I didn't want one that was TOO wimpy, so I wanted a 15-amp. saw. I don't want anything BATTERY operated except maybe an electric screwdriver. I have a shit-pile of battery operated tools in the garage and after the battery craps out, it's cheaper to buy a whole new tool! If you have a good battery, I probably have a tool or charger here for you. That said, I just wanted something common so I'd have no problem with parts, etc. I also wanted an 18", 15-amp, corded saw with an automatic oiler and easy (no tools required) chain adjuster, so I settled on a vanilla, middle-of-the-road Black & Decker CS1518. I found it on the net for as high as $123, but it was under $83 at Wally World. Nothing exciting or overly expensive as I simply won't be using it that much, but I do have quite a bit of trimming and thinning to do around here ... stuff that's too big for clippers. I also have a few "small" trees (more like very large bushes that have grown into small trees) I want to remove. It'll be interesting to see how it performs, but I ain't cutting firewood or going into the logging business.

Yeah Hombre, all the others offered free delivery, but it was via slow-boat and they wanted quite a bit extra for "expedited delivery". Wally World gave me the option of picking it up at their nearest store (less than 5-mins. from here) or having it delivered to my house (a no-brainer). I was seriously thinking I'd have to wait and order it after we return from vacation the middle of next month.

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2019, 01:35 PM
You may as well be walking a toy poodle...[emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
You may as well be walking a toy poodle...

Aww, Bite Me! Here's the one I keep in the garage for my serious work. ;)

jb
04-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Thump, pretty much the same with me.
The Echo at the top is 37 years old, bought it when we moved north and started to heat with wood. Great saw, still would work if I wanted to clean the carb, replace some rubber fuel lines and maybe a new spark plug.
It got to where I'd need a chainsaw once every 8 years to cut something I couldn't do with a hand saw. Then it would take an hour to start the darn thing.
A few years ago I decided I needed a new one, battery power was the way I went as I needed one out in the deer woods and I didn't have an extension chord 10 miles long.
This new Echo is as powerful as my old one, and is advertised to cut 100 times on a battery charge. Much more than I'd ever need. We used it this fall to clear a lot of dead falls and it went through maple and oak like they were pine boards. Some of those trees were 20" thick. A year ago this past
Christmas time my wife bought me the Echo blower, this I use everytime I mow the lawn, clean the garage, or clear the flower beds. Works better than my electric Toro, and I don't have to drag a chord along.
Nice thing is it uses the same battery. The battery gives me the same power right to a point that it's dead, it does not sloooow down, it just stops. Quick charge and it's back to work. May have to look for a weed wacker now.
Can't say it's any lighter than the old one, but it does the trick for me.10626

Thumper
04-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Believe me, I know what you're saying about the gas saws. As stated, I have two in the garage, but I'd bet they've been there for 6-8 years since I've used them. Even though I put Sta-Bil in the tanks, I'm sure I'd have to go completely through the fuel system to get EITHER of them to work. I just don't need a chainsaw that often. That's interesting about your battery operated units. TBH, it was hard enough to buy an electric saw (corded or not), but I threw caution to the wind and pulled the trigger. We'll see how it does. I just hate the idea of the battery giving out and having to buy a new one for $3 less than what a whole new unit would cost. (I know I'm exaggerating here). I guess it's like electric cars ... I'm just not fully on-board yet. Thanks for the review though. I have a gas blower as well as two weed eaters in the garage and I'd bet a bazillion bucks NONE of them will start.

Big Muddy
04-26-2019, 06:34 PM
BWAHAHAHA !!!!!.....Thumper bought a electric B & D chainsaw.....I can't wait for Cap to see it. ;)

(Just kiddin', it should work nicely for you.....slicing up a loaf of french bread.) ;););)

Thumper
04-26-2019, 07:57 PM
Haters! That's all we have around this joint ... HATERS! ;)

Big Muddy
04-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Here ya go, Princess Thump.....just what you need.....she even autographed it for ya.....I just don't understand why it doesn't come in your favorite color---PINK !!! ;)

Martha Stewart MTS-ECS14 Electric Handheld Chainsaw with Handguard Safety Brake | 14-Inch | 9-Amp
Average rating:4.7778out of5stars, based on9reviews9 reviews
Martha StewartWalmart # 573627616
$44.99
Free shipping

BarryBobPosthole
04-27-2019, 08:04 AM
‘Electric Handheld’. Its so nice of her to provide emotional support too!
Or maybe you just need one of these!
https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com/products/portable-folding-pocket-hand-chainsaw

BKB

Big Muddy
04-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Ha, a "pocket handsaw".....Thump would prolly cut off his pecker

Thumper
04-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Youse dufes need to grab a couple of tall stools. Don’t worry if they’re TOO tall, I have an ELECTRIC saw here that can trim the legs for you.

Big Muddy
04-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Prolly cut 'em off quicker with that bolo, you trying to sell. ;)

Bwana
04-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Have to admit when we had a smaller yard I purchased an electric chainsaw and boy howdy that thing would cut like a dream. Surprised the heck out of me.

Don't let those mean boys bother you Thump, go ahead and buy whatever chainsaw you want...and don't forget the Celtic Women tickets when you are done.

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Bwana has the Burn Of The Day!

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2019, 11:06 AM

BKB

Penguin
04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Hehe.... :)

The thing that threw me wasn't that my man Jim bought an electric saw. Hell that makes a TON of sense in a lot of situations. Especially if you live in a neighborhood where the neighbors don't appreciate the sound of a man and his chainsaw making chips. The thing that threw me is that he just went online and picked one out and ordered it.... huh. I guess all the sites full of testosterone and bullshit (contradictory bullshit at that) don't talk about electric chain saws much so you can't get lost trying to figure out what is what on one of them.

I learned to avoid those sites and most anonymous internet advise in general. Too confusing.

I bought a new saw a couple months ago myself: https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/545-mark-ii/967690638/

But if I was in a suburban area with lots of busybodies looking for an excuse to bitch about noise? I'd get an electric one I think.

Will

Thumper
04-30-2019, 11:29 AM
With friends like youse dufebutts ... who needs enemies?

Thumper
04-30-2019, 11:30 AM

BKB

And you need to burn one of your posts! ;)

Thumper
04-30-2019, 11:34 AM
And, I think you dufes missed the part about having TWO gas chainsaws in my garage. Sometimes ya' just don't need to prove to others ya' have a big pecker. ;)

Big Muddy
04-30-2019, 04:38 PM
And, I think you dufes missed the part about having TWO gas chainsaws in my garage. Sometimes ya' just don't need to prove to others ya' have a big pecker. ;)

HA, is this your big pecker???....inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

Thumper
04-30-2019, 04:46 PM
No, that’s a peckerwood! ;)

Big Muddy
04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Ha, now that's a word I haven't heard in ages.....in the old days, my dad called anybody who had an unsavory reputation a "peckerwood".....consequently, a lot of them were kinfolks. ;)

quercus alba
04-30-2019, 06:25 PM
peckerwood is a rural white southerner, usually poor, undereducated or otherwise ignorant and bigoted, the term gained popularity in the deep south during the early twentieth century and was meant to be derogatory. It is a reversal of the name of the red bellied woodpecker which had a patch of red on the back of it’s head and neck, therefore a peckerwood is a redneck, terms that describe similar groups of people are trailer trash or white trash but neither of those have the same effect or ring to them as peckerwood does.

Big Muddy
04-30-2019, 06:53 PM
^^^Ha, yep, that's some of my kinfolk. ;) ^^^

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2019, 07:06 PM
I heard that term a lot from my grandpa, who had a lot of substitute cuss word. Dad gum it, shoot fire, gosh darnit, and many others.

BKB

LJ3
05-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself Jimmy. That's what we're for!

Thumper
05-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself Jimmy. That's what we're for!

And youse dufes are experts at your trade! Just remember one thing ... you're also DEALING with an expert ... who's very patient, but has a habit of getting even, eventually. Be afraid ... be very afraid. ;)

P-hole, my grandfather was a Presbyterian minister and he could cuss like a sailor ... without EVER uttering a true cuss word!

I also never realized the word peckerwood was a Southern thing ... I never really thought about it, but assumed it was universal. I guess it's just another one of those OLD terms I grew up with. I thought it was always a good replacement for "dip-shit". ;)

Big Muddy
05-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Speaking of peckers.....no names were mentioned, but didn't this happen around Orlando??? ;)

Thumper
05-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Ummm, maybe ... but I'm gonna use the Fake News defense! ;)

Big Muddy
05-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Ummm, maybe ... but I'm gonna use the Fake News defense! ;)

What???.....there's no such thing as fake news!!!.....only fake news reporters!!! ;)

Thumper
05-01-2019, 01:03 PM
And YOU reported it here! ;)

Big Muddy
05-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Yep, but I'm only a sheeit-disturber, today. ;)