PDA

View Full Version : since nobody

quercus alba
04-30-2019, 09:22 PM
posts here very often, I've gone back to the first post and started reading back to the present. We used to be a really entertaining bunch. Thought I'd resurrect an old thread just for grins and giggles

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?4600-National-limerick-day

Arty
05-01-2019, 07:14 AM
We’re still entertaining!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
There's still some good entertainment here ... it's just that we're suffering from a major case of attrition. We've known each other so long. this place has become pretty much a good ol' boys club and it's hard for a newbie to fit in. It's not that we make any newbies feel uncomfortable and we always welcome them, but it's kinda like taking your wife to one of your high school reunions when she graduated from a different high school, 10 years apart and in different states. She's welcomed but really doesn't fit in and can't even relate to much of the conversation.

It's like my grandmother who lived to be in her late 90's. She once told me of how sad it was that the family has moved on and is scattered all over the country and all of her friends have already died off. I've often wondered who would be left here to turn off the lights if we don't acquire new blood. We're down to 23 "active" members now. As a comparison, we're showing 52 "users" on-line right now, but only 2 of those are active members (LJ and myself). In December of 2015, we showed 383 users on-line. I don't know how many of those were active, but it's just a number to think about. We've been kickin' for 22 years now and our last major "membership drive" was when some dufe raided those dang road huntin' sumbitches over at that now defunct site called All Outdoors. :D

Kind of a dark post in a way, but there's a lot of reality involved if you really think about it. I've often wondered how many here have just stopped posting and we simply assumed they got bored and moved on to other interests, when in reality, they may have met a sudden death and there was simply nobody around who knew to notify us. It's a sucky thought, but it has crossed my mind from time to time.

That said, we're in the process of packing right now. Gonna hit a new lunch spot and have dinner reservations in Orlando tonight. Gonna spend the night in Orlando and catch an EARLY flight to L.A. in the morning. I'll see youse dufes again on the 15th. 'Course I'll have my iPhone with me, so I could drop in at any time just to harass yer' ass! ;)

Bwana
05-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Funny this comes up as just this morning several dufes from this site popped into my head. Some I haven't heard from in a LONG time, others for a shorter time, but I miss them all and all the traffic the site used to have in the old days.

Does anyone ever hear from Helen anymore? She used to be one of the pillars that kept this place hopping. Wish she would come back.

As for your trip, have fun Thump but don't eat too many octopi!

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2019, 11:45 AM
The bottom line is that this format is dying off and being replaced by other forms of social media. It makes me sad, but it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2019, 03:01 PM
To quote a very wise man (Gunny Highway) “Adapt, improvise, overcome”

Maybe we should experiment with a Goodhunting twitter feed. And I don’t use Instagram but something like that that allows photos.

We don’t have to own a domain to have what we have now. Its hard to change, but its harder to see thos place go under.

BKB

quercus alba
05-01-2019, 03:40 PM
I see all kind of advantages in a message board over a twitter feed. at least for this group. I think time is the problem, we've gotten old, died out and moved on with other phases of our lives.

I'm pretty adaptable but I'm channeling my inner curmudgeon when I say say " I won't tweet". I'm a big advocate of , if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You dufes are just going to have to step up, make some sacrifices with family and work and post more on Goodhunting

Thumper
05-01-2019, 06:42 PM
I gots ta’ go with QA on this one. I don’t twit or tweet or whatever people do these days. Heck, I had people twisting my arm to get onto Facebook years ago. One weekend I put a quick page up with about .0005% of the pics I’d planned on posting, but after that I never touched it again. I just use Facebook to send the occasional Happy Birthday message. As far as those other social media hang-outs, they ain’t for me. I love this place but it sure has been slow lately.

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Hey I’m just the rider and commentator.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Hey I’m just the rider and commentator.

BKB

Thumper
05-01-2019, 08:10 PM
And you always commentate in pairs! ;)