PDA

View Full Version : Ticks - a question

Bwana
06-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Heading out this weekend for a family vacation on the north shore of Lake Superior and am told this area has ticks that carry some nasty stuff like Lyme's Disease, etc. In an effort to avoid future visits to the doctor as a result of getting bit by one of those nasty, disease carrying critters do you folks who live in the land where biting critters exist all year 'round have any suggestions?

It's not that we don't deal with woodticks around here, but for the most part ours are simply annoying and gross so no big deal. I've heard some horror stories about the nasty things ticks in other areas of the country can give you and prefer to avoid that issue if possible so am looking for insight.

Maybe I should have just sent Kribbs a PM as he has either avoided this sort of thing or know a doctor to deal with it if it does happen. ;)

quercus alba
06-18-2019, 01:19 PM
https://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/repel-ticks-sulfur-remedy-zmaz01aszsel

As a kid my grandmother gave us sulfur pills every summer and as best I can remember, ticks, redbugs, and skeeters all left us alone.

Thumper
06-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Very little Lyme disease down here, but it’s pretty heavy in the Northeast. Check yourselves every evening (all the nooks and crannies). My take? You should probably worry more about some distracted driver taking you out on the way there and back. Be diligent, but don’t worry yourself to death over the possibility. To help, insect repellant might be a good idea just to help set your mind at ease.

Arty
06-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Just get a GOOD big spray, and use liberally.
Needs to have DEET in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Yeppers. DEET is the only way to go. Just concentrate on having a good time and don’t worry about the critters enough to let them spoil the trip.

Bwana
06-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys.

Not worried about them spoiling the trip, just figured if there was an easy fix why not give it a try.

Chicken Dinner
06-18-2019, 04:53 PM
DEET around pant legs/socks, wrists, shirt collar and on your hat. Have your Mrs. check you frequently. A tick needs to be embedded for 24 hours to get Lyme. So, don’t worry if you find one fairly early on.

HideHunter
06-19-2019, 08:21 AM
I'll use DEET when I have exposed skin .. I "discovered" Permethrin when I was turkey hunting in the Ozarks.. I've never seen so many freaking ticks in my life. This stuff you treat your clothes with... *not* your skin. I have virtually eliminated any tick problems since. Sawyer is a good commercial product.. I mix my own now..

Thumper
06-19-2019, 09:40 AM
... I was turkey hunting in the Ozarks.. I've never seen so many freaking ticks in my life...

So ... you were baiting those turkeys? :poke

BarryBobPosthole
06-19-2019, 04:43 PM
I’m glad we have ticks. At least I get to check my wife for them. All I have to do is say I found a couple on me and she is feeling them crawl all over her. Then I get to do a thorough check.

Country boy can survive, mother fuckers.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
06-19-2019, 04:44 PM
And yes I’ve been drinking.
BKB

Thumper
06-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Are you with Airbud? 😉

Arty
06-20-2019, 07:12 AM
Are you with Airbud? [emoji6]

lol. hey airbud, you gonna let him talk about you like that?!