PDA

View Full Version : Where I been and what I've been doing (beside Farm work)

Captain
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Back in October of last year a friend of Cheryl’s called and wanted to sell me his tractor. He has some health problems for the past 7 years and things continue to get worse for him.
He bought this tractor new and told me it was a 1950-8N Ford. I really did not need the tractor, as it is a bit small for our farm. It had not been cranked in 7 years however he told me he had the plugs hand tight and several times a year he would put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over by jumping the starter.
I went to look at the tractor and was not really impress as it looked like it had been painted with a brush and EVERYTHING had been painted over. No parts were removed and original paint color was not used. I looked at the hour meter and it read 720 hours. I asked him when he replaced the proof meter as this tractor is about 63 years only and 720 hours is nothing. He told me that was the original hours. He lives in a housing development had about 2 acres. He has a disk and a scrap blade. He told me he only disked his small garden each year and scraped his driveway a couple of times a year.
I can tell you as I have disassembled this tractor I do in fact believe this is the correct hours. All seals and fittings I have replaced have been the originals and every part of the tractor including the steering is rock tight.
Long story short I bought the tractor, as he seemed bent on me having it. He said I was the only person he knew that had a farm and would take care of it.
Armed with a new 6-volt battery, points, plugs, condenser and a can for fresh gas I went over to get the tractor. It took about an hour to tune it up and drain out the old soup that use to be gas and clean out the Carb. But it fired right up and I loaded everything and headed home.
When I got home I pressure washed it and took a picture. It ran so well and had such low hours on the proof meter I decided I would restore it….

495 496

Captain
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
For about a month I began taking some parts off and stripping them down to metal and priming and painting. Using paint stripper, wire brushes and a pressure washer. I also study up on the 8-Ns a little and downloaded a chart to make sure I painted the parts the correct colors. Went to our local Ford dealer and ordered the paint in the correct color red and gray and black.
Started stripping the whole tractor using paint stripper and a pressure washer. Surprising the paint came off fairly well. i spent many hours under the tractor getting rid of the dust and dirt buildup that was in the hiding places. I learned a GREAT trick on degreasing and removing 60 years of grease and oil. It's called oven cleaner. Just spray it on and let it sit and hour or so, hit it with a pressure washer and it will take ALL oil and grease off of and out of metal. Wonderful time saver.

497 498 499 500 501

Captain
01-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Completely stripped the tractor and ready to get serious. One note is the paint actually dyed some of the metal parts and even after the paint was remove the metal still was red in color. The Intake was one such part.

The inside rear fender braces were a pain to get off as they were riveted on… Finally got them completely sanded and primed and put the finish paint on them.

502 503

The dash is a part I'm very proud of. It was very pitted and took a lot of work to get everything filled and smooth. This was my first try at bodywork and I had to take it down to metal three times before it passed my inspection.

504 505

Captain
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
506 507 508

Captain
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Finally got warm enough to prime

509 510 511 512

LJ3
01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Holy crap Larke! Is Cheryl's friend in any shape to come out and take one last spin on that bad boy? I bet he'll about crap hisself and cry when he sees your finished product.

Len

Captain
01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
All lines and linkages had been painted over the years. I cleaned each of them and painted with silver heat paint

513 514 515 516

Captain
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
That's one reason I'm pushing through on this project Len, It's my hope to finish it in time to have him out and let him drive it around if he can... I really want him to see it.
Cheryl sent him some pictures awhile back and he really got excited about me doing a ground up restoration on his tractor.
Take Care, Captain

Captain
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Rear Hubs
517 518 519 520

Captain
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
522 523 524 525 526 527

Carb, Oil filter, Front wheels removed to complete stripping and priming

Captain
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
If I could go back and take more pictures it would be of the proof meter and all gauges. I rebuilt them instead of replacing them for several reasons. One was I would loose the actual hours on the proof meter and the other is the original Amp meter had a wire that ran through the meter and it read the amperage through the insulation. The replacement you had to cut the wire and attach it by two screws to the new gauge. An the oil gauge replacement when to a higher number than the original. So I opted try my hand at rebuilding them. I made no pictures until I was finished and I hate that. I took every part down and refaced the Proof meter (even painted the screws inside). I am very happy with the way these turned out.

528 529

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Larke, you gotta know this, because it's true. You are an artist. Some people paint in oils, you do your work in a different medium. After seeing that canoe, which blew my mind, and now seeing this, I am in awe. Good job, man. And good job for the reason you're doing it too.

My glass is up to you bud! Well done!
BOB

Captain
01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. I'm in the reassembly phase now and will post some more pictures tomorrow. We are having some bad storms right now and the Internet is in and out. Still got the body work to do on the hood and grill. Both will be major undertakings. Ill have to totally put the whole tractor back together and then hand fit the grill. It has some dings in it and cannot just be fixed and expected to fit. It will be the last piece I do. I've got the rear wheels apart and worked on them for the last couple of days. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. Hope to have the rear wheels painted (two tone as original) by next week...
Take care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
That is so cool Larke. You are doing a heckofa job on that old Ford.

I did a little googling and found a place not too far from you that has antique tractor shows/pulls.
Maybe after you get 'er done, you can take it out put it in the show?

http://www.funderburkfarms.com/index.html
http://www.funderburkfarms.com/Photo-Gallery.html

Buckrub
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Knowing how to do all that is as amazing, to me, as doing it. My buddy, that built my smoker, restores old tractors. He has a 1902 Somethingorother he did from ground up. Amazing. Takes it in parades. All that, and this, is like looking at Troy's work.........I can just be a spectator.

Captain
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
The next big project was the front wheels. I don’t have a good picture of them before however they were in really bad shape and rusted really bad. The valve stem hole was rusted out and about twice the size it should be. Being these wheels are low speed and not balanced like a car wheel I decided to make a repair on them

The original valve stem hole was 5/8 inches so I purchased some heavy (thick) washers and began grinding them down to fit the contour of the wheel.

Used a friends MIG welder and welded them in place. Then smoothed them back down to original contour
Also cleaned the inside of the rim with a grinder and treated it with a heavy rubber treatment that will smooth the inside to keep from puncturing the new tube. Used the paint stripper and a wire brush to clean the outside of the rims.

530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 540

Captain
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Finally a warm day for some primer and paint on the wheels.

541 542 543 544

HideHunter
01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Very nice Larke. Of course, antique tractors are a huge deal in my part of the country. The have "rides" from town to town. Really neat to see all the old stuff. My BIL (the one with the collection of Chevelles, Corvettes, Int. 1206s - and who knows what else) restored my Grandad's Allis Chalmers WC. I think it's the only piece of equipment on the farm that isn't red. ;)

Arty
01-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Wowwww... Awesome!

Bwana
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
You are doing one heck of a bang up job Cappy and thanks for sharing the process with us, very interesting.

Now that you are practiced up how about I bring my AR John Deere down so you have something to work on NEXT winter?

Just curious, what is the product called that you used to coat the inside of the front rims?

Captain
01-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Pulling off the front Hubs and put new grease seals in the back of them. The bearings were in perfect shape so I did not replace them or the races.

547 548 549 550 551

Steering arms likewise were in great shape and all gears were perfect. I did put new felt seals on when replacing them after painting basically because I had pressured washed the originals to death...

552 553

In prep for painting the frame I slipped the rear hubs back on to keep from painting over the brake pads/parts

Captain
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
The Intake and Exhaust manifold are made together on this tractor. I decided I’d remove them and prime and paint with heat paint. They were originally black in color as was the muffler and tailpipe. The original muffler and tail pipe ran under the tractor and had been replaced with an upright style. I purchased all original parts and put it back original.
Also the nuts holding the Manifolds on had heat seized on the studs and I had to remake one rod, I rethreaded the block inside and rethreaded the three remaining original studs. I had to make the fourth. I used a long 7/16th case harden bolt and cut the head off to make the stud the correct length. And then threaded both ends. The end that when into the block was a course thread of 16 threads per inch but the end that when through the manifold was a fine thread of 20 threads per inch. Also the nuts on the manifold suppose to be brass I assume to keep them from heat seizing on the studs. So I replaced them with the correct nuts and washers.

555 556 557 558 559

Captain
01-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Finally a warm day to spray some paint..
560 561 562 563 564

Captain
01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
You are doing one heck of a bang up job Cappy and thanks for sharing the process with us, very interesting.

Now that you are practiced up how about I bring my AR John Deere down so you have something to work on NEXT winter?

Just curious, what is the product called that you used to coat the inside of the front rims?

John the product is called POR 15 it is a heavy rubber brush on or spray on. Really GOOD stuff...
http://www.por15.com/

Take Care, Captain

Captain
01-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Starting to put it all back together...

565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573

Captain
01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
My neighbor has a sandblaster so I was able to sandblast the hood, grill fenders and hood side panels
There is some rust through on a couple of spots on the hood. Guess I’ll learn how to use fiberglass or the better Duo-glass that suppose to be better in these applications. I will have to totally finish the Tractor and put everything back together and then hand fit the grill. It is going to need a lot of work and impossible to just do it and expect it to fit. It’s just too out of square. That will be the last and final project piece.

The only sign of any leak I could find in the tractor was from the PTO shaft out the back. As it was always my intentions to change all fluids in the tractor I purchased the PTO seal and removed the PTO shaft, drained all the Transmission, and Hydraulic fluid and replaced the seal. I did wash out the Transmission and Hydraulic tanks with diesel fuel.

575 576

Captain
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Started on the rear wheels this week. They will be a BIG job. Removed the center hub which help but they are still heavy and tough to work with. The center hubs are pitted some. I’m using fiberfill sandable primer to fill the pitting the same as I used on the dash. From the factory the center hubs were painted the gray color of the front wheels, hood and fenders, while the outer wheel ring was Silver. That is one reason I took them apart. Another reason was to remove all rust where the inner hub bolts to the outer wheel. Today I got the rear hubs almost ready to paint but we got a cold snap through here last night so it might be awhile before I get to spray any paint on them. And with this post it about brings y'all up to date on what I've been up to the past couple of months.
Take Care, Captain
577 578 579 580 581

Thumper
01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Beautiful job so far Cappy ... can't wait to see the finished product. Ya' think you'll have it all together before turkey season? Funny, I started reading the sentence about the holes rusted out in the rims and the old flat washer fix immediately popped into my noggin. A few words later and it's like you'd read my mind! I wish I lived closer as I'd be right there with you as I'm sure you could use a helper. Again, great job and a great cause ... I sure hope he gets to see (and drive) the finished project.

Niner
02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
John, did you say you have an AR???
Is it kinda sorta like this one?
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6572759

I had an uncle that had a huge farm around Douglas, ND. He was a Deere man to the bone. He had an AR like that one in his shed that he really loved. I think he bought it new, and always talked fondly of it. I would have loved to have gotten it after he passed, but the logistics of hauling a beast like that from ND to GA would be nearly undoable (for me anyway). And nthen I'd have to figger out where to put it....I have a hard enough time storing my M.

Bwana
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
That's the one Nner. I believe my grandpa bought it new way back when. In the early 1980's Dad repainted it and then cut down an old road maintainer, called the Simplex, welded up a frame for it which was bolted onto the AR and then used it for pushing snow if the snow wasn't too deep. The old girl has a cracked head so to get it started Dad would heat up that sparkplug with a handheld torch and then she would fire right off. Dad says she is mine for the taking so I would like to get the head either replaced or repairs if it can be done just so I can listen to the old Poppin' Johnnie every now and then. Who knows, might even have to use her in a parade or two.

Captain
02-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Bwana I'd love to restore that Tractor for you but the distance would be the factor... Unless you are willing to haul it over here. Replacing the head would be no problem. Repairs on the cracked head would be expensive and I would not trust a welded cracked head.... JMHO.
Now haul it over here to me. :D

Captain
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Have been busy during the cold, rainy snap we have had burning some of the land at the farm. Not have a climate controlled paint booth it's hard to paint when it's cold and wet. I have managed to get the centers of the rear wheels painted and ready. I've got one of the rear wheels ready to paint. I opted to keep the tires on the rims mainly because mounting the tires back on the rims after I finish them will cause a lot of damage to the paint.

Bwana
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Looking good and be sure to keep us posted on the progress. I for one am really enjoying this.

Any thoughts on where to obtain a replacement head for the AR?

Captain
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
http://vintagetractors.com/jdaunst.html

http://www.ytmag.com/parts/

http://www.steinertractor.com/brand-john-deere.aspx#page-1

Here's one on eBay
http://compare.ebay.com/like/330872195490?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Bwana
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Larke, I'll take a look around and see what I can find.

Captain
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Finally got a day to paint the rear rims.

Now on to the hood and fenders....
Getting close!
Take Care, Captain

Bwana
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
As good as you are with a paint can you must have done some pretty neat graffiti on the side of boxcars as a kid. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Man, what a great job. And what a lot of elbow grease that had to be!
BKB

Captain
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Started Putting the 3-point hitch back together. The Green “plate” over the PTO insert is a temp plate I made. I pulled the PTO shaft out and replaced the seal. When I drained the oil out of the Hydraulics and Transmission fluid I wanted to clean these compartments. So I plugged the back off and put in 5 gallons of Diesel fuel to wash everything out.
I allowed the fuel to stay in for about 2 weeks, turning the transmission frequently to wash all gears and parts.

Got the hood and fenders done and ready to tape off the "Ford" on each fender and both sides of the hood and paint that lettering Red...
This is gonna be tricky... and best wait on a warmer day.
Take Care, Captain

Oh, I guess the light make these look different colors, but the fenders, hood, front wheels and the center of the rear wheels are all the same color. Just noticed they looked different for some reason. But I assure you they are all out of the same can of paint. (1939-1962 Ford gray)

Niner
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
You have GOT to take that beast to some tractor shows this spring/summer.
You'll have it all finished up pretty soon at the rate you are going.

You have really done a super job on that 8N. I know the ol' feller that was the original owner will tear-up when he sees his old friend all prettied up.

LJ3
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
PUT THE DAMN THING BACK TOGETHER ALREADY!!!!!!

Captain
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm trying to Len... There is LOTS of details still to do. I've got every piece original so far down to the original water transfer stickers. Cool/wet weather has held me up as much as anything. Just have to wait on days that are right in order to paint. I still got the two front "side" panels to paint and the red lettering to do.
The last piece to do is the front grill. I really want to use the original one. However there is some damage to it and it will have to be hand fitted back to the hood/frame.
Basically I have to have the tractor completely back together before I can even start working on that part. And of course ill have to be very careful because the hood and side panels will be finished and in place and I cannot (do not) want to scratch them.
I could purchase an original equipment replacement grill for about 400 bucks, which perhaps might be the best way to go, but I really want to put the original back...
Hopefully ill be done before Turkey season comes in. If not there could be a conflict! :D
Take care, Captain

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Slacker.

BKB

Buckrub
02-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Many things in life impress me. Probably because I literally know how to do so very little. I have always envied those that work with their hands.........cars, motors, welding, electrical, plumbing, none of that. In fact, I have often wondered how I got by, knowing so little.

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
You ought to see that canoe he rebuilt. He's every bit an artist. Reminds me of someone in my family. I have a cousin who took a piece of obsidian, a deer antler, and some leather and made the prettiest tommyhawk you'll ever lay eyes on. You met him, my cousin Ron. Larke is like that.
I have stonehands. Wish I could do that stuff.
BKB

Captain
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Thank you both... Ill try to find some before and after pictures of the canoe and post one day.
Posthole it ain't been in the water since our group trip on the Shenandoah River.
It need to get back in the water.... Hint, hint

Chicken Dinner
03-01-2013, 09:22 AM
I learned long ago to limit my efforts to unskilled labor. Anything past changing my oil or painting and it's cheaper in the long run for me to hire someone. My travel schedule should be easier this summer if we want to take another run at a fishing trip.

Buckrub
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Doubt you'd want me, but I'm retired. :friday

Chicken Dinner
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
You're always welcome in my camp.

Buckrub
03-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I can cook!

Captain
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Got a good warn day yesterday and got the "Ford" painted on the fenders....
Also found a guy locally that has some odd and end parts for 8N's. I was able to buy a fender bracket for a work light and a original tail light as well as two head lights and mounting brackets and reinforcement plates for twenty bucks. These same parts would have cost north of 200 bucks to replace. Of course there is more work in the ones I bought because I've got to strip the old paint off as well as deal with rust and pitting but as Si would say, Hey I got all the stuff to do it with already....
Take Care, Captain

Bwana
03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm really impressed with your attention to detail sir and can't wait to see the finished project.

Now, if I could just find a way to ship my AR to you...:)

Chicken Dinner
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Man, that is going to be beautiful. Some day, I want to get a belly full of wilderberry juice and take that bad boy for a spin.

Captain
03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
OK Got a few good days of working in...
Found an old original tail light and totally rebuilt it
Before:

And After:

Also found an old original Worklight and fender bracket. It was in rough shape, read LOTS of hours rebuilding it.
Before:

And After:

Painted the "Ford" on each side of the hood this morning and put the hood and front fenders and gas tank together.

And just a little while ago I got it all back together...
Said I wanted to be finished with it by Turkey season and other than waiting on the two headlight rings to get here in the mail I've done it. The season opens Monday!!! :D
It's running like a sewing machine...
I'm tired.

Take Care, Captain

LJ3
03-27-2013, 10:47 PM
That's freakin amazing Larke! Well done!

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I want to see pictures of your friend's face when he sees it. Does he know anything about it?
BKB

Captain
03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
He knows I'm fixing it up, but not to the extent I restored it. He will be surprised for sure. As soon as I get the headlights in it perhaps today or tomorrow ill probably get him to come over and take it for a ride if he still can. If not be can certainly look it over.
Take Care, Captain

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm proud to know you, Larke. You're a helluva good guy, ya know it?

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Reminds me of a story. Long time ago, a fellow I know of built a car of some kind.....race car maybe, or something, I honestly can't remember details..........and never once looked at the door. When he finished, he tried to get it out the door, and of course it wouldn't fit..........

Bwana
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
That is one WELL done job Larke!

Tightline
03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Great looking job there, Cappy. Has a familiar look.940

Captain
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice looking Red Belly there Tightlines... they are some great workhorses!

Woke up at 6 this morning at the SC farm, scouted for Turkeys coming off the roost, and worked on Fencelines about all day. Got home about 4 and the headlight rings were on the front porch.
Installed the blubs and rings and wired everything up. I installed the side air filer as I had not put it on to make running the wires easier.
I wanted to complete the project before Turkey season and I made it with 2 days to spare...
Remember this from late October?

Here is it "Turnkeyed"

Well I'm out of a project. Guess I'll just have to hunt Turkeys, Hogs and do a bunch of Fishing and Hay balin'
Take Care, Captain

Tightline
03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Mine is a 2 N. Yours looks like a 8 N, which is a little later model I think. Mine cranks at the touch and and works great but not the pristine condition you put that thing in. Not close. My dad and I bought it in 76 with a broken lift pump, no brakes, and a big hole in the radiator. We fixed all that and more. For years I thought it was a 9N. It's mostly retired now. Reminds me of my dad, big time.

Captain
03-29-2013, 11:06 PM
A 2-N that's neat. It has a front distributor, right? Did y'all convert it to 12 volt or leave it at 6 volt? I left mine original at 6 volt, positive ground. Makes for some interesting wiring. :D
You ought to call Dennis Carpenter in Concord NC (or go to their website) and get a catalog. He bought all the original tooling from Ford for for the 2N, 9N and 8N's. and have the official license from Ford to manufacture and sell factory parts.... EVERY part is available for it.
The 8N I have is a early 1950 model.
If you got your serial number handy I can tell you what year yours was made...
Congrats on the history with that neat tractor.
Take Care, Captain

Tightline
03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
After almost breaking my arm several times using the hand crank,yes it got converted to12 volt.I'll check the ser #.

Tightline
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Looks like 2N 4015 12. Yep the distributor is up front.

Captain
04-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Hunmmmmm, that's a puzzler. The 9N's were first and the serial numbers began with 9N. The 2N's were next and the serial numbers on all of them were also 9N. They did not use the 2N on a serial number.
Go here and see what you can determine.
http://www.myfordtractors.com/serial.shtml
Maybe you miss read it..
The serial number is on the left side of the block.
Take Care, Captain

Tightline
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Got that # off the back axle. I'll check the engine block when I get home.

Captain
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The Axle casting should have a letter and three numbers like "G187" the "G" would mean that the axle was cast in July, the next two numbers would be the date, "18th", and the third number would be the year "1947".
Take Care, Captain

Tightline
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Well the serial # on the block is 9N 135 637, indicating 1944. However the axle castings #2N 4014 and 4015 are dated 9 5 46 and 9 10 46. ???? Hmmmmmm!

Captain
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
It is likely that sometime over the past 60 to 70 years the axle housings were replaced... Parts swapping is very common.
And of course it is possible the engine need work and the block need to be replaced. The engine block is not separate on these tractors. It is actually cast into the frame, one piece from the front axle, engine block to the transmission bell housing. If a block has to be replaced you have to replace the whole front of the tractor.
If it was a 1946 and at sometime the engine seized, someone could have bought the front half of a 1944 9N and rebuilt it....
Just a thought
Take Care, Captain

Bwana
04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Hey Cappy,
Have you gotten a chance to show the previous owner what his old ride looks like yet?