PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo

quercus alba
07-21-2019, 10:17 PM
I just had my first bowl of Pho. It was delish. Came with rice noodles, onion, jalapeno, bean sprouts, basil,thin sliced beef, cartilage, tongue and some other unidentifiable meats with the bone broth.

have you ever used any of the commercial pre-seasoned broth? The broth is the most difficult and time consuming part of making it at home

Thumper
07-22-2019, 12:08 AM
Don’t even bother as you’ll never be happy with it as the Asian cooks usually know what they’re doing! There are a bazillion Pho places out there and part of the fun is trying as many as possible to find your favorite. (They do vary) My personal fave is rare, thinly sliced beef while Lynn’s fave is the brisket. Sounds like you got the “House Special”. I’ve had ‘em all, I just prefer the beef. I also like to squeeze some lime juice into my broth with a bit of oyster sauce and sriracha. Lynn prefers hers unadulterated.

Good Pho is hard to beat. When we travel, we always make at least one stop to try out a new Pho joint. Congrats. It sounds like you’re now officially hooked. ;)

quercus alba
07-22-2019, 07:56 AM
Actually it did have the lime and oyster sauce. I think we have most of the ingredients except beef bones for the broth. I may roast some deer bones this fall and cook them down. I may even have a deer neck in the freezer.

Thumper
07-22-2019, 08:14 AM
If you need a taste tester for a second opinion ... I'm your huckleberry! ;)

quercus alba
07-22-2019, 08:20 AM
you got to remember, I'm married to a Chinese lady so I've got a leg up on it from the start.

Thumper
07-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Yep, mine is Japanese and a gourmet cook, but we’ve narrowed down the best Pho places in the area. She can match the average Pho joint, but can’t quite match our favorites. I’m sure she could with practice, but we enjoy meeting for lunch once or twice per week, so there’s not a huge need for the hassle of homemade. Same with sushi. We have a good (inexpensive) AYCE sushi place in town, so it’s just not worth it to screw with something so labor intensive at home. Plus she works full time and I sho’ ain’t gonna do no girly stuff like cooking! 😉

Thumper
07-22-2019, 09:04 AM
BTW, our best friend in town is Chinese and also a gourmet cook. He does all the cooking and the wife (white) does all the baking (including desserts). We spend almost every Sunday at their place for lunch and dinner (and occasionally go out to eat - his treat!) It’s been going on for 30 years now. The fact he’s a multi-millionaire means some quality meals which I sure don’t mind. The weird part is, he always cooks (or orders) enough to feed 20 people and it’s usually just the four of us, but they DO NOT like leftovers! We always come home with enough food to feed an army. They many times drop off their leftovers during the week with Lynn at her office! Hard to imagine that we sometimes end up stuck with left-over lobster or king crab! :)

Thumper
07-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Just a coinky-dink, Lynn and I went to a movie last Sunday and afterwards, decided to try a new (to us) Pho place right down the street from the theater. It was good, but we delegated it to our "average" list.

This was taken before I doctored mine up:

10814 10815

Chicken Dinner
07-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Damn, I’m hungry for some Pho now. A good Pho place is like a good BBQ joint. The more of a hole in the wall it is, the better. Try the tripe some time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
07-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Yessir, I’ve had ‘em all CD. Sometimes as a combo, sometimes as a single meat. Sometimes I’ll switch ‘em up, but the beef is usually my go-to order. The one pictured above also had shrimp.

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2019, 09:51 AM
I had to settle for Ramen last night as it was as close as I could get to Pho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk