PDA

View Full Version : Dogtooth 2019

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2019, 12:51 PM
I don’t have a lot of pics but will post what I have over the next few days.

I drove up to Moscow Mills, Mo on Thursday (11th) to my bro in law’s house to pick up him and we lit out Friday morning for Hibbing, Mn. we stopped in Minneapolis to pick up Lenster (long story) and got into our buddy’s house (formerly known here as Studs Mahone) 8ish that evening. He had brats waiting and a big cooler of what has now become a tradition when we get to his house, Grain Belt beers. We stayed up way too late that evening and got up feeling milky Saturday morning to buy groceries and make the last fours hours to Dogtooth.

Fishing was tough this year. We backed up our dates a bit earlier to catch the full moon and it bit us as the baitfish and the walleyes weren’t in the deep basins but were hugging shorelines on ledges in 15-20 feet of water. So after three days of almost useless crankbaiting we changed tactics and dragged some nightcrawlers with spinner rigs and finally managed our limits on Friday night. We did manage a few big fish but the big lake was tough, as she is known to be. The bass were moderately active and all were puking up crawdads and had big fat bellies.

We did find, to our dismay that Dogtooth now has a new invasive species, spiny water fleas. It remains to be seen what effect on the walleye fishery there will be but as it severely impacts baitfish the future doesn’t look good. When trolling we had them on our lines every time.

It was a great trip and we had a good group! The owner of the cabin stayed with us and we had a good time getting to know him better.

More later as I remember it. I may have had a brain injury.

BKB

my 28”er

Bwana
07-25-2019, 05:32 PM
Just remember, the fishing is always good but the catching is better some days that it is others.

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Just remember, the fishing is always good but the catching is better some days that it is others.

Amen to that! Dogtooth is an old bitch and she has done that to me a few times since I started going up there in ‘04. But its still beautiful back country and most days you never see another boat. And the company wasn’t half bad either!

BKb

quercus alba
07-25-2019, 06:45 PM
And the company wasn’t half bad either!

BKb

I thought you said you had Studs and Len with you

Captain
07-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Them some pretty fish for some fugley fellers!
That’s got to be a good trip to make.
Did you ever wash the funk out of your overalls?

Trav
07-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Never seen a spiny water flea but I googled them and they look crazy.

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2019, 09:07 PM
They have googly eyes.

BKB

Captain
07-25-2019, 10:28 PM
Never seen a spiny water flea but I googled them and they look crazy.

Hell I thought he was talking about Len?

Arty
07-26-2019, 08:11 AM
Sounds and looks like a great time. How many pair of sunglasses were lost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Looks like a good time was had by all! I shudder to think about the amount of lies that were told.

Captain
07-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Sounds and looks like a great time. How many pair of sunglasses were lost?

Prolly none since my truck and deerstands were not there to collect them.

Hombre
07-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Looks like a great time.