PDA

View Full Version : Shop build questions

Bwana
08-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Putting up a shop in my back yard and hadn't really thought about what sort of material I want to put on the ceiling and the floors. For those of you who have them, what did you do and would you do the same thing again?

Am leaning towards tin on the main floor ceiling but not certain what I want for the upstairs ceiling or the walls.

Thoughts?

Thumper
08-29-2019, 06:16 PM
Tin for the ceiling?? Plywood gets my vote. Plus you can easily hang stuff from it. How high are your ceilings? Flush mounted lighting? Or hanging? Insulation? I guess I have no clue what sort of construction or how your finishing it. I would assume plywood floors, or are you planning to get fancy? Too many options for your short description.

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Upstairs?

Are you building a sheshed Sheila?

BKB

jb
08-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Tin is a nice touch, very popular around here for getting the industrial look, but in a small space it's loud, lot's of noise bounces off it.
It's better used as the top half or wainscot on walls.
Better ceiling material is T&G pine, plywood, or drywall. If you don't want to tape and mud drywall joints, get some 1x2 wood lath that gives the ceiling a paneled look.

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Here’s a picture of Bwana’s “shop”...

https://images.app.goo.gl/xTTQ8vjVsxYFrrip9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2019, 10:12 AM
JB, have the rubber roofs made any kind of inroads in the market there? They’re made from recycled tires and are supposed to have a R rating of 30 and above and long life spans. They are pretty popular up in Canada.

Something tells me Bwana’s She Shed needs one.

BkB

Bwana
08-30-2019, 10:39 AM
OK smartasses, here is how things look so far. Not a she-shed for certain, maybe a bitch barn? ;)

Sorry for the lack of details Thumper:
24x36 two-story gambrel building with insulated attic (R44) and walls (R21) floor drain, water, electricity, and heated. Downstairs I plan on using 500W LED cluster lights and upstairs in what will be the man cave/entertaining room I'm leaning towards a couple of lighted ceiling fans to help with air movement.

Exterior will be shingled and sided to match the house per the development covenants.

With all the planning etc. we were doing with the shop we never really put much thought into what we were going to use for the ceilings, walls, and upstairs flooring.

Bwana
08-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Now where in the hell is my sister when I need her?!?!

Bwana
08-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Arty
08-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Dude, that’s gonna be nice!!!
And you’ll have it full of junk in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Dang dude! For some reason, I was picturing a "shed". I have to admit, the two-story thing had me a bit confused, but I just figured you meant more of a storage area than an extra floor. What you're doing is what we'd call a BARN down here! Very nice! I envy you. Heck, finish that thing any dang way you want!

Thumper
08-30-2019, 11:00 AM
And you’ll have it full of junk in no time!

Yep, tell me about it. My house is a 2300 sq. ft. tri-level. I have two large storage sheds (10X14) on my property, PLUS a 900 sq. ft. attached garage. I haven't been able to park a car in the garage for over 20 years! AND ... it's just Lynn and me living here! :crybaby

Today, I'm moving shit around just to find a place to store my patio furniture for the hurricane. I used to just throw the stuff in the pool, then dig it back out and hose it down real well (rinse the chlorine off) once the weather cleared, but I had my dang pool removed a few months back. (I lost ALL that storage space!) ;)

jb
08-30-2019, 03:52 PM
That is a BARN!
Up here when we build one similar, it's usually done with a MIL apartment on the second floor. Studio Apt with a 3/4 bath. Great for guests and/or hubby when the old lady kicks his ass out of the house for a few days.
Here they're called a "Garottage" Garage/Cottage, lots are built on the lakes for boat storage and guests.
That's going to be a very fine Man Cave.