PDA

View Full Version : Goose hunt this afternoon, "guide service" all lined up.

hotshot
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
As mentioned previously, I have hooked up with a college kid to goose hunt this winter. He does the scouting, I make the calls to the land owners, It works out well.
Today, the birds have been hitting a field all week, about 4:30. He is picking up the decoys from my truck in the school parking lot, and setting them up. All I have to do is get Luke and I bundled up to withstand the 16 degree temps...... and slide into our lay out blinds.
We may have to help pick up dekkes, but hey..... gotta love it.
might even shoot a few birds!

Big Skyz
02-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Sounds like the good life to me.

Bwana
02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
So, how did it turn out?

hotshot
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Friday... the geese beat us to the field. at 2:30he pickedup the dekkes from my truck- there were already300 birds in the field. We adjusted to a lake with an open crick flowing into it.... 20 on the water, so we gently pushed them out, and set up our decoys in the same spot. My WADERS, were frozen solid in a matter of minutes when I stepped out of the water. The temp was about 11 degrees. I brought down one bird.
Saturday, the college boys borrowed my decoys while I taught tennis lessons. I hustled home and changed- met them at one of the fields..... wow! they had already brought down 2 birds. My neighbor, Luke and I hunkered down next to them and got our share of shots. The wind and snow brought birds from all over. we had plenty of shots, but no birds fell. I know I hit a few- they all just kept flying.
Man it was fun!
Sunday, the college boys again borrowed my dekkes and hammered the birds.
The farmer also was happy because they took out a bunch of pigeons too.
Probably hitting the same field this weekend after resting it during the week.

hotshot
02-06-2013, 01:22 PM
might add the field next to us is full of American Bison.
Picture bison behind you as you stare across a field through blowing snow, and see birds appear out of nowhere.
bitter cold, but bundled up.... just a great day. slept hard sat night!

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a blast Scott. and hey, just because I know you'd appreciate it, I watched a program on BYUTV last night called Winged Migration. It came out about ten years ago but its an awesome show about migrations of all kinds of waterfowl. some of the trips those things make is amazing.

BKB