PDA

View Full Version : Just something to remember when appliance shopping.

jb
09-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Wife didn't want to build a new house, but would rather rebuild the one we built 36 years ago.
So every year we do a major renovation.
We started 6 years ago by tearing out our existing Kitchen down to the bear studs, redesign the layout, with quarts counter tops, new cabinets, and appliances, about 32K into it.
We bought an appliance package, 3 door French Ref. Dbl oven/ range with convection oven, MW, and DW
Went with the brand LG. Not top of the line, but our research showed it was in the upper half of what's out there.
Fast forward to two days ago.
Ref. took a crap, lost everything in the freezer before we found out the compressor failed.
Called a repair person recommended by my builders, he looked at it and said it's repair would exceed the value of the unit, even though there was another year left on the warranty.
Didn't like what he said, so we called LG Service Dept (that's located in South Korea) and tried to talk to the girl who's far from having English as her first language .
She gave us two Repair Services in our area that work on LG's, called both of them, and neither returned our call in the last two days.
Called two more well known Services in our area, and both said they do not work on LG products as they are junk, hard to get parts, and many times the parts don't fit because of LG's constant design changes.
Both said what we have is scrap metal. $2300 ref. lasted just 6 years and 3 months.
So today the wife and I bought a new Whirlpool 4 door model , paid about another $400 more, but it's made in the USA and is serviced by just about anyone.
So all the service people we spoke with said to stay way from LG's and Samsung, specially their refrigerators.
Just thought I'd pass this along.

Thumper
09-25-2019, 07:22 PM
That sucks Bubba! I don't get it though. I'm assuming the 1-yr. left on your warranty was just for parts maybe? Ya' kinda lost me there. (?) Good info though and I'll remember the warning next time I need something that LG makes.

I learned the same with Samsung (which you mentioned). I had a large (expensive) Samsung flat screen tv a while back and it crapped out on me. It had been giving me trouble for about a year before it totally died. THEN ... when I went onto the internet to try a bit of self-diagnosing, I found that the problem was an extremely common one and they actually had a recall on them. They would repair them for free! BUT ... upon reading further, they only honored the recall for 2 or 3 years (can't remember persactly) from the date of purchase! Needless to say, I was about 6-months too late and even when I called and bitched, I was told I was SOL. I will say the experience not only pissed me off, but it TOTALLY turned me away from ANY Samsung products.

jb
09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Warranty is good for 7 years, problem it's for parts only, their design made it very tough to install new compressor and the wait time for the part could be up to a month. Because of the difficulty in repair, the labor was the killer, estimated to be $400-600 or more, depending on if the condenser contaminated the entire cooling system.

quercus alba
09-25-2019, 07:45 PM
apparently life isn't good with LG

DeputyDog
09-25-2019, 07:54 PM
I’ve got a buddy who has his own appliance business and he’s told me the same things about LG and Samsung.

In the last couple of years, I’ve had to replace a washer, fridge, and a dishwasher. We just told him to show us what he’d put in his own house. The washer is a Whirlpool and the fridge and dishwasher are both Frigidaire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2019, 09:00 PM
We had a Samsung fridge and I fought that dad gummed ice maker for ten years. Its currently in my garage with beers and other adult beverages in it along with some leftover sweet potato casserole from last Thanksgivng.

We replaced it with an LG. Gulp. Its worked great so far. The ice maker is a beast! Both of them!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tip!

johnboy
09-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Bought an LG fridge last year. Been working fine however I have until Oct. to buy extended warranty and I think I will do just that. Just got rid of an old (bought in 1970) Frigidaire freezer that I had in the garage. Still worked great. They don't make them like that anymore!

Hombre
09-26-2019, 01:53 PM
I have a Samsung fridge and same as Barry we've fought the "Ice Maker"...apparently that's a common problem. We did a remodel too but kept the same fridge. I am really happy with the Thermador Stove/Oven we got.

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Thermador is good stuff. That’s what we put in during our kitchen remodel.

And are we really talking about kitchen remodels on Goodhunting?

Bubba!

BKb

DeputyDog
09-26-2019, 02:52 PM
At least we’re talking about something.

Thumper
09-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Yeah you sissies! It goes hand in hand with cooking! ;)

Hombre
09-26-2019, 03:33 PM
JB started it.. here's an elk video to shift the topic

https://www.facebook.com/100008856767120/videos/2127433240895214/?t=6

Took this a few days ago about 10 miles from the house...there in a park

jb
09-26-2019, 04:20 PM
For all that bought an LG ref. mine worked great for 6 years, no problems.
It's just I expect a major appliance to last longer than that, and it should be repairable.
We have deer camps and cottages that have refrigerators that are 30 & 40 years old, and still keep your beer cold !
As to who started this post " BITE ME"