PDA

View Full Version : Hot sauce question

Penguin
10-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Posty: I am going to make a batch of hot sauce in a few days and have a question for you or anyone else who brews their own pepper sauce.

I'm guessing you put the peppers in a blender, then boil it, then reblend it. Is this right? And then filter it before canning it?

Thanks,
Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Funny you should mention pepper sauce, as I am bottling a new batch of mine this week.

My recipe isn’t fancy but it works for a pretty good hot sauce. I grow tabasco peppers. I just use red ripe peppers for red sauce and sometimes I make a green sauce that I use unripe tabasco peppers and add some sweet green pappers to add a little different flavor. Its great on beans.

I boil my peppers in half vinegar/water until they are soft and then puree the whole shooting match in a ninja. Then I strain that through a seive to remove seeds into quart jars. I seal those in a boiling water bath and stick them in the back of the pantry for a year. Once in a while I give them a good shake. After a year I add about half again as much cider vinegar and bottle it. Which vinegar to use is your choice. I like the cider vinegar because its a little sweeter and doesn’t have as much ‘bite’. I like the bite to come from the peppers. And they do bite, I will guarantee as old Justin would say.
I’m bottling last years batch this week. I’ll send you a bottle if you’d like to try it.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Similar to Barry, but I don’t age my sauce and typically will add some grilled fruit (like mango or pineapple) or carrots to give it some body. I also think using a premium vinegar like white wine or rice can make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin
10-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm anxious to get some made. I've already put up a bunch for making chili.

Got an odd bunch of peppers. A bunch of hot Hungarian and Pablano, a few elephant trunks, lemon jalapenos, and Brazilian starfish.... Ice no idea how it will come out.

Will