PDA

View Full Version : What say you about this snake.....???

Big Muddy
10-03-2019, 01:21 AM
I've been watching the comments on another site about what kind of snake this is.....seems that a lady bought a potted plant at W-M, and was removing it from the pot to transplant, and the snake bit her finger.....she shoulda used that finger to thumb thru a snake identification book because she got plum belligerent with folks, about it being a "10 inch water moccasin"....I know what kinda snake it is, even with it's somewhat darker color variation.....and, her husband musta been lying to her all these years about what 10 inches really is. ;)

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Color seems off and it’s hard to tell from that picture. But, I’ll guess milk snake as you mentioned it being a darker color phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
10-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Similar markings, but I've never seen a milk snake with a head like that.

Sure as hell looks like a dang Pit Viper (of the "Cotton Mouth" Water Moccasin variety) to me! I can't tell squat about size from that pic with no reference to compare with. You didn't mention what happened to the lady after being bitten. Did she ignore it? Go to the doc? Receive anti-venom? Die?

All I know is, I try to avoid ANY snake with a diamond shaped head. 'Course, anytime I've been as close to a moccasin as that photographer, it's mouth was open and there was no mistaking what I was looking at! Just the fact that snake isn't acting more aggressively being cornered like that, I'd doubt it being a moccasin.

That said, I don't know where this lady lives, so that would be a clue. If she's in Idaho (for example), I'd say water snake. I know many people confuse a Northern water snake for a moccasin, but I really can't tell from that pic and would avoid it anydamnway just from looking at that head!

HideHunter
10-03-2019, 10:27 AM
never seen one that dark - but hognose ?..

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Looks like what we call a ground rattler. Some folks might call them pygmies. The ones i’ve seen were almost always in the pines and they were a little grayer than that. And 10 inches might be accurate. They also have little black rattles.
That’s my official guess.

Bkb

quercus alba
10-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Sure looks like a pit viper to me, not something I'd handle like cap'n does. Ground rattler is definitely a possibility.

Btw, have any of you ever heard the old folks call a copperhead a rattlesnake pilot? I'd never heard of a copperhead until I was about 15

Thumper
10-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Growing up in Florida, I'd never heard of a copperhead until my grandparents bought a place in Western North Carolina. I spent every summer as a kid up there and was always told to watch out for copperheads. It seemed like they were everywhere in that area and I did run across quite a few.

Never heard of the rattlesnake pilot term.

Thumper
10-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Looks like what we call a ground rattler. Some folks might call them pygmies. The ones i’ve seen were almost always in the pines and they were a little grayer than that. And 10 inches might be accurate. They also have little black rattles. That’s my official guess. Bkb

P-hole, when I saw the pic, that was my first guess. But once I read Mudward's story, I figured there'd be no way anybody could be confused about what kind of snake they were dealing with if it had rattles on it's tail! (unless they were just plum ignernt!)

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Its colored like a rat or bull snake but that head most definitely looks pit viperish.

BKB

Thumper
10-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Yeppers, it LOOKS like a viper, but since the back story says nothing about the results after being bitten, I’m assuming it was no big deal. That’s why my official guess is a Northern Water Snake.

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2019, 01:38 PM
I think it’s a northern water snake that can flatten its head to look like a pit viper. Or, is that a hog nose? I guessed milk snake based on the pattern and BM’s comment about the dark color phase. But, you’re right that the head doesn’t look right.

Don’t leave us hanging Muddy...

Thumper
10-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Ha ha ha! I just realized ol’ Mudward’s a pretty slick dude! Does anybody else see what he’s done here? He’s basically said the person who had actual contact with the snake doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Then he speaks of another site where others are discussing it, yet he insinuates nobody there knows what they’re talking about either and he’s the only one who knows what kind of snake this REALLY is. Then, to top it off, he comes here and expects us to give our opinions, which will be deemed incorrect (by him), unless our opinion matches his! The fact we’re looking to him to let us know the correct identification, makes us a bunch of blind sheep! Ha ha ha, this ol’ boy’s slicker than goose snot and should run for public office! 🤣

Big Skyz
10-03-2019, 03:30 PM
I can clearly determine what kind of snake it is with ease. If I found it would be a "dead snake". You're welcome. :D

quercus alba
10-03-2019, 03:32 PM
I think Muddy's a closet democrat. Probably voted for Hillary

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Either way, it’s the busiest thread this site has seen in months.

Thumper
10-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Either way, it’s the busiest thread this site has seen in months.

Naaa, that’d be P-hole’s tars post. 🙄

Big Muddy
10-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Is there something wrong with the picture I posted???.....it looks fine on my pc.

Thumper
10-03-2019, 11:38 PM
I think it’s about time for you to go get your stool. ;)

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2019, 05:50 AM
I think it’s about time for you to go get your stool. ;)

BM obviously doesn’t know what kind of snake it is either. So, put me down for “copperheadedrattlemoccasin”.

Thumper
10-04-2019, 06:16 AM
Muddy, the Internet troll. Who’da thunk It? :poke

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Rubber snake?

BKB

Big Muddy
10-04-2019, 09:01 AM
^^^^^Ohh contrare, my ole raw squid-eating friend^^^^^.....but, I guess I'll hafta forgive ya'll for not getting it correct, if you can't see the pic good enough.

It's a dark-phase copperhead about 21" long.....bit her on her ring-finger, but only one fang penetrated.....btw, she's from Biloxi, so that prolly answers a lot of questions. ;)

She got pounded, even by a lot of females, for saying it was a moccasin, so she finally quit arguing about it.

FYI, that is one of the biggest, nastiest-looking triangle heads that I've ever seen on a copperhead !!!

Big Muddy
10-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I think Muddy's a closet democrat. Probably voted for Hillary

Hey, boy, them's fightin' words !!!!!.....I know where ya live, and it ain't too far from me !!!!! ;););)

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2019, 09:24 AM
If you say so. But, I’ve never seen a copperhead with markings like that.

Big Muddy
10-04-2019, 09:33 AM
A bit unusual, yes, but fairly common along the gulf coast area.....Google it, "dark-phase copperhead pics."

Thumper
10-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Yeppers, it does look like a copperhead, but like you, that's one of the widest heads I've seen on one. With the lousy pic, it could'a been quite a few different breeds. ANY time I see that diamond shaped head, it's venomous as far as I'm concerned. That's why those Northern water snakes have scared the bejeebers out'ta me before! There was no mention of what effect the bite had on the lady, so I was assuming it was a non-venomous snake.

Northern Water Snake

Arty
10-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Even though the quality of this pic matches the same clarity and brightness as most Pics of Bigfoot, I can still tell you this 100%.
That ain’t no copperhead.

Captain
10-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Wrongamundo Edweeno, that is a eastern hognose snake.
They flatten day ‘heid out just like that. And can flatten out most of their body if they feel threatened.
If y’all call em Copperheads that’s fine with me, but that’s a Hognose snake. I’ve caught a pile of em in my time

Captain
10-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Captain
10-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Heres one that is almost a twin of the one you posted.
See how his head is shaped. And notice the bands on the Hognose snake seldom meet together on the back.
A copperhead bands are wide on his side and narrow where they meet on the back and most of the time (but not always) they meet on the back and are directly across from each other. A hognose are staggered and sometime meet on the back but are mostly random.
I now return you to your regular scheduled program.

Thumper
10-04-2019, 06:41 PM
So, now the "ID this snake" argument moves from one site to another!

Captain
10-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Nope. No argument
I’m right.
And I said if they call them copperheads that’s fine with me. :D

Thumper
10-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Or go with CD and make it a Hognosedcopperheadedrattlemoccasin! ;)

HideHunter
10-04-2019, 09:34 PM
That Captain is one *smart* individual....!!... I rest my case..

Big Muddy
10-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Sorry, Cap, but gotta disagree with you, brother.....it is a venomous copperhead.....while your eastern hog nose has similar markings, they are NON-venomous and longer than a copperhead.

Here's our MS version of a hog-nose, and even have a red phase version, too:

And, here's the lady's snake-bitten hand, soon after arriving at the ER.....her condition progressively worsened, and she was admitted to ICU, and has finished her 3rd round of anti-venom, today.

I really wish I had a better snake pic, but don't feel bad, she's, adamantly, still calling it a water moccasin. ;););)

Captain
10-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Dang Muddy y'all's copperheads must be fooling around with hognose snakes!

I think we will have to go with the Rattleheadedcoppermoccasin! ;)

Big Muddy
10-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Ha, Cap, maybe we gots a ______in the wood pile, errrr, a snake in the wood pile. ;););)

Chicken Dinner
10-05-2019, 03:16 PM
That’s some kind of inbred Cajun coonass copperhead for sure and why I don’t mess with snakes unless I have a long stick or a hoe.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2019, 03:23 PM
They have more shit down there that will bite or sting than anyplace else I know.

Don’t mess with Mr No toes!

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2019, 03:24 PM
They have more shit down there that will bite or sting than anyplace else I know.

Don’t mess with Mr No toes!

Captain
10-05-2019, 04:12 PM
You can say that again Posty.

Captain
10-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Ha, Cap, maybe we gots a ______in the wood pile, errrr, a snake in the wood pile. ;););)

I see it as proof that even in the Snake world there is a Thumper type slithering around.

Big Muddy
10-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Ha, Cap, took the words right outta my mouth.....I predict a reference to “tall stools” upon his immediate return. ;)

Thumper
10-05-2019, 04:36 PM
You can go get a tall stool, and while you’re at it, bring a super-tall stool for Cappy.