PDA

View Full Version : Hey Thump.. stuff you know..

HideHunter
11-27-2019, 10:44 AM
and I don't.. Just bought a knife on ebay.. I don't have pay pal.. I was hesitant - but I used my credit card. Don't know that I'll be buying a bunch more, but 'maybe". ;) What's the best (safest?) way to pay?

thnx...g

Big Muddy
11-27-2019, 11:01 AM
HH, I know you didn't ask me, but over the past 5 years, I've had zero complaints with Paypal.....jmho.

Thumper
11-27-2019, 11:54 AM
I assume by "using your credit card", you meant through PayPal? PayPal is definitely the way to go. In fact, you can pay through PayPal with your credit card, bank account, whatever. AND ... don't worry about problems, eBay OWNS PayPal, so there won't be any hanky-panky. They pretty well vet the sellers using the system. If the seller attempts any sort of scam, you will be reimbursed.

HideHunter
11-27-2019, 11:55 AM
xellent.. thank you gentlemen..

Thumper
11-27-2019, 12:00 PM
xellent.. thank you gentlemen..

Gentlemen??? As in plural? Ummm, didn't you mean gentleman AND Mississippi redneck?

HideHunter
11-27-2019, 12:31 PM
:beer

Big Muddy
11-27-2019, 04:42 PM
^^^^^:beer^^^^^

HideHunter
11-28-2019, 10:07 AM
PP done and done.. I'm sure there's a million "tricks" to this ebay thing.. one thing I've noticed already.. it pays to do a "search" on items being auctioned.. I found a couple knives where the "buy it now" price with free shipping is cheaper than the auction price +.. it is somewhat fascinating prices for seller to seller.. My wife was just saying the other day I needed more "junk". ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Ebay’s not really an auction though..........is it.

BkB

Big Muddy
11-28-2019, 10:36 AM
"""My wife was just saying the other day I needed more "junk". """

Hmm, more junk or bigger junk??? ;););)

HideHunter
11-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Ebay’s not really an auction though..........is it.

BkB

I dunno.."silent auction"? or is there something else I don't know?

HideHunter
11-28-2019, 11:15 AM
lol.. eddy .. I always say, "The only things we ever did fight about were money and sex. Now, the government sends us money and I've decided the rest isn't worth fighting about." . ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 11:27 AM
I dunno.."silent auction"? or is there something else I don't know?

There is a school of thought that by having a minimum acceptable bid and a ‘buy it now’ amount, it is actually not an auction, but is just naming a price to the public and then having the public squabble about who gets to pay you more than your posted price. IOW, its an evil scam.

There is actually logic you can follow in that, but IMO if it is evil its genius. (and doesn’t really matter as long as everyone is happy)

This was originally Bucky’s take on ebay I think. He and Thumper had a ripsnorter of a disagreement about it.
BKB

Big Muddy
11-28-2019, 12:38 PM
I fought joining ebay for a long time, but now it's my go-to place to shop.....no shipping and no tax is the cat's azz.....I've purchased new farm equip. parts for pennies on the dollar.

Thumper
11-28-2019, 02:43 PM
There are five ways to go. A straight auction. An auction with a minimum starting price, an auction with an optional “buy it now price” or a straight here’s my price, take it or leave it, AND there can be a “buy it now price” with a best offer option.

Personally, I don’t have the patience for auctions. If I want something and the price is acceptable, I buy it. If I’m selling, I set my price and you can buy it or move on and find it elsewhere. (Called a fixed-price listing) Occasionally I’ll get a message with an offer on a fixed price item I have listed. I’ve adjusted my price for some, others I tell to kiss my ass. That’s one reason I won’t do garage sales. I can price something at $20 and it never fails, some jackass will offer me a quarter.

Thumper
11-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Oh, you can set your search parameters if you want to cut through the b/s. There are filters such as, lowest price, auctions only, etc etc. you can also set a mileage limit, like only auctions within a certain radius (50-miles for example). For instance, if you’re buying a motor for your hotrod, you may want to pick it up locally instead of paying through the nose for shipping.

Basically, there’s something for everyone.