PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Holiday Question

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 11:18 AM
I turned 65 this past summer and it seems like every day I notice something else that ‘comes with age’. Some are good. Damn good in fact. some not so much. Some are just things that make you go ‘Huh.’

One of the more annoying things that has afflicted me the past year or so is my sensitivity to noise. Causes big time stress. I worked in a profession where, at least during my technical years, lots of noise was as common as breathing. I was ‘HF Man’ on a lot of our military exercises and if you’ve never talked over hf radios, just think am only more static. Then try to talk on it.
My family is a fairly loud family. They talk over the tv, turn it up so they can hear it, and then talk louder. Its a way of life. Laughter is the loudest, followed closely by scolding kids and dogs. My wife can peel the paint off a four year old. But they love their grandma. Its not like she’s yelling at them. she’s just loud as hell. So am I. No apologies or judgements. Its just the way we are.

Lately when the family gets together, I noticed I would get wound up tighter than Dick’s hatband. Then I noticed it was the noise that was the main cause. If you can’t live with pandemonium, you can’t live with grandkids around. So its not that. I can go into a quiet room for five minutes and the tension melts. It weird and I don’t like it. But its better now that I know the source.
Or maybe it was always there but because I was more of a participant I just never really noticed?

Life is wonderful at every age and I’m thankful for it all. But it still throws you curveballs instead of fastballs when you get to your ‘golden years’.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-28-2019, 12:32 PM
I guess I've evolved to just the opposite.....there ain't sheeit or anyone that bothers me, anymore.....well, except for the occasional encounter with complete idiots or smart-azzes.....I may even be TOO laid back for my own good, nowadays. ;)

quercus alba
11-28-2019, 01:40 PM
A thumb sized blunt coupled with about four ounces of brown likker will help mellow out that stress

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Taken as directed Dr Quercus!
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Taken as directed Dr Quercus!
BKB

quercus alba
11-28-2019, 02:26 PM
A double dose makes you twice as mellow

Thumper
11-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Looks like he did a double dose, for sure! ;)

Consider yourself lucky P-hole. I have a different old age problem. Let’s just say, when things get too loud for me these days, I don’t need a “quiet room”. I can simply turn down my hearing aid! 😉

johnboy
11-28-2019, 02:49 PM
I'm super sensitive to smells. The only thing that has gotten better with age is my smeller. Go figure. :crazy

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2019, 03:22 PM
I'm super sensitive to smells. The only thing that has gotten better with age is my smeller. Go figure. :crazy

Somewhere, TeeDub is laughing his ass off.

BKB

johnboy
11-28-2019, 03:23 PM
I was waiting for that. :wink

HideHunter
11-30-2019, 09:32 AM
There must be something going around, Barry. I got it, too. Had the grandkids here yesterday. Youngest (7) is a red head right down to his eyelashes and has one speed and one speed only.. full.. I swear he doesn't lie still when he sleeps. Granddaughter is 12 and quite an accomplished pianist.. absolutely loves to play and, most especially, loves an audience.So, it's a full 30 minute recital every 15 minutes. I was sitting at the dining room table and finally had to go outside.. I do this a lot, anyway .. so no one even noticed.. but.. "wow".. ;)

Thumper
11-30-2019, 09:46 AM
I was sitting at the dining room table and finally had to go outside.. I do this a lot, anyway .. so no one even noticed.. ;)

So, what you're saying is ... you had to pee? ;)

jb
11-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Barking dogs and crying kids drive me up a wall.
Just head to my office when that happens and shut the door.
As a kid I had the radio on every minute I was in the car, today rarely happens, we'll drive down to FL in a quiet car, wife reads a book, I just enjoy the scenery.
Wife enjoys music while she's in the kitchen, usually through alexa, I work in my office all day with just the hum of the computer.
Quiet is my way of life.

quercus alba
11-30-2019, 10:43 AM
thus the term curmudgeon (male menopause). Those of us who haven't got there are getting there, it's the natural order of things. Except for Arty, he has hot flashes instead

Thumper
11-30-2019, 01:48 PM
My response could be a cut & paste of Bubba's. I couldn't even tell you whether or not the radio works in my truck. As a young buck, I couldn't tell you if the on/off switch worked or not ... it was ALWAYS on.

Screaming kids and barking dogs ... don't get me started!

That leads me to Christmas ... BAH HUMBUG!!

HideHunter
11-30-2019, 02:00 PM
So, what you're saying is ... you had to pee? ;)

:D and that's why it's not unusual for me to go outside. :D

Arty
12-01-2019, 04:23 PM
thus the term curmudgeon (male menopause). Those of us who haven't got there are getting there, it's the natural order of things. Except for Arty, he has hot flashes instead

Hey hey hey! I ain’t been nothing but good to you, why you gotta kick me. I’m just over here watching the show...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk