PDA

View Full Version : Just for the heck of it.....

Big Muddy
12-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Wifey called me on her way home from town, last night, and said she was gonna pick up some Burger King burgers for supper.....sorta halfway joking, I told her to get me one of those new Whopper veggie burgers, they've been advertising every 30 seconds on tv.
Well, she bought me one home, and I'll tell ya what, it was day'um good!!!.....honestly, I couldn't tell the difference from a real burger.....the taste, consistency, and palatability were all really great.

While I was at MS State in the late '60s, I worked for one of the agri. professors in the plant science area, and he was working on a soybean burger.....I would recruit students for him, who would come in to blind taste test his soy burgers.....the results were nearly uniform, after each taste-testing....."burgers look and smell great, but tastes like crap" .....I never heard any more about them, after I graduated, but evidently someone improved the taste of them.

Arty
12-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Don’t they have more fat and calories than the real version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
12-12-2019, 05:50 PM
No idea, Arty, I just ate it on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised.

You got me curious, so here's what I found:

Burger King VEGGIE Burger w/o cheese---390 calories. Most of those calories come from fat (38%)

Burger King WHOPPER w/o Cheese---660 calories. Most of those calories come from fat (54%)

Thumper
12-12-2019, 06:03 PM
My problem with them is .... they cost more than the BEEF version. That nixed it for me as I refused to pay more for a fake burger just to do a taste test.

Big Muddy
12-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Ha, yep, it costs about a dollar more.....what's a buck to a world traveler and a KFC connoisseur??? ;)

Thumper
12-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Personally, I love Burger King. The grilled flavor does it for me and that beats MacD's all to heck as far as I'm concerned. Hey, a buck is a buck ... I don't get to see a whole lot of those these days. :(

It's not just a buck, it's a buck for veggies instead of real meat. That doesn't add up in my carnivorous mind. I'll leave 'em for those left-coast pansies. ;)

airbud7
12-12-2019, 06:35 PM
I had one the other day...it was good.

johnboy
12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Fake meat patty ingredients:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Real meat patty ingredients:

Beef.

I know which one I'll be eating.

Thumper
12-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Fake meat patty ingredients:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Well dang! Where are the veggies? They make it sound like veggie burgers are a "healthy" alternative. :huh

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Julie order a taro burger in Kauai once. It was turrible too.

BKB

Thumper
12-12-2019, 07:24 PM
So, she ate TWO of them? Or did your double post confuse me? ;)

Big Muddy
12-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Looks like there's some conflicting info. out there on the web.....this is direct from the BK website, and I see tons of veggies listed....go figure.

BK VEGGIE BURGER PATTY: Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. lettuce, tomato, onion.

Thumper
12-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Ha! Who knows? Actually, Johnboy's post almost looks like the ingredients for the BUNS! ;)

quercus alba
12-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Veggies were made to eat with meat, not in the place of.

Thumper
12-12-2019, 09:19 PM
:iagree