PDA

View Full Version : Thump, you still interested in razors???....

Big Muddy
01-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Saw these at a local sale site.....any value to them???

Thumper
01-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Not a whole lot there Muddy and everything looks pretty rough. I'd snag the Gillette "Slim" adjustable at the lower left if it's a good price ($5 or so). I can't really see the condition from the pic (plating loss/wear, etc) but it will bring an easy $25-$50 depending on condition. A pristine or restored one can bring up to $100, but that's way out at the end of the rainbow. The other four are Tech razors (they break down to 3-pieces) and are a dime a dozen (I have a box of 'em here). The one in the case (on the right) and the one on the far right are Ball Techs (nothing special, just identified by the "ball" on the end of the handle). If I can pick 'em up for $1-$2, I can usually do something with them (those appear to be pretty rough). I can't really see much of the brush, but it appears to have a bakelite handle ... again, not worth anything to speak of. If I could snag the whole batch for $15 (maaaaybe $20 max), I wouldn't leave 'em on the table. I'd clean that mess up and probably turn the pile into $100-$125 tops.

Big Muddy
01-03-2020, 01:48 AM
Sorta what I was thinking, too.....over-priced for his asking price of $80 bucks for the lot.

Thumper
01-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Oh yeah, I wouldn't have even slowed down as I walked by! :laughing

They look pretty rough in the pics and I would imagine there's quite a bit of plating loss and corrosion as it's quite common. I spend a LOT of time cleaning and polishing the nice pieces, but the only one there that would be worth the effort is the adjustable, IF it's simply dirty, and not "worn". It'll sell well no matter the condition, but there has to be a profit margin to cover the effort. There are a few who go all out and have them re-plated with Rhodium. But even then, the "Slim" is popular, but far from the MOST popular and most desirable. But just to show what I mean, this one has been re-plated and sold for $175.00 (a bit on the high end for this model ... they'll usually stay closer to $100)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gillette-Slim-Adjustable-safety-razor-replated-in-Rhodium-/123921754338?hash=item1cda4fe8e2%3Ag%3A7F8AAOSwqEJ dj4La&nma=true&si=2azmda8wSTcSZ%252FSjNNsFByk819c%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

HideHunter
01-03-2020, 09:56 AM
lol.. I'd never fooled with the ebay thing.. In the past couple months I've bought a couple "muskrat" pocket knives.. I tend to look for "used" stuff because I tend to "use" stuff ;) . Watched a schatt and morgan for it's whole cycle and no bids.. "first bid" was just about *all* I wanted to pay.. but with a couple hours left I thought wth.. I checked it about 2 minutes in and still had the only bid.. I flipped to another page and went back just as it ended.. with seconds left - someone outbid me by a dollar.. I said all that to say all this.. I was pissed all night :D - even when I kept telling myself - "That's *all* you wanted to pay." I'm all over it this morning (mostly ;) ) but I have to chuckle at myself.. and I see how people can get in trouble on the whole "bidding" thing..

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Thus, why I chortle when people tell me they ‘won’ something on ebay.

BKB

HideHunter
01-03-2020, 10:54 AM
^^^ :D Yeah, that^^^ I'm going to go chase coon.. and skint them with the Boker I *did* "win".. ;) later

Big Muddy
01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
HA, for some reason, I "chortled", when I heard Postie say the word "chortle".....just a funny sounding word. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Well, what else is halfway between a snigger and a guffaw?

BKB

Big Muddy
01-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Ha, “snigger”.....is that a snicker in the ‘hood??? ;)

Thumper
01-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Hidey-Ho, been there, done that. It's called "sniping". I'm guilty of it also and will bid with about 3-secs. to go. The prob. is, that can burn you also if somebody else bids that way and their bid is higher. TBH, I usually avoid auctions altogether, whether buying OR selling. It's just too stressful and aggravating (as you learned). If I'm BUYING ... I usually want it right now and don't want to go through the b/s of waiting a week only to find out I was out-bid. All the items I sell are listed with a "Buy It Now" listing and I VERY seldom run an auction unless I just have absolutely no clue what the item I'm selling is worth. Then I let the market determine it's value, but as I said, it's been years since I ever listed an auction. FWIW, I sell many items that have the exact same item listed at an auction starting at a lower price, but I guess many feel like I do, they don't want to fiddle-fart around with the process and simply buy mine for that "instant gratification".

If it makes you feel any better, you "probably" didn't lose that auction by a dollar. Here's how it works. Say there's a $1 bid minimum and the item is listed with a starting bid of $20. Lets's also say, you'd be willing to pay as much as $40 max. You can make a bid for $40, but if you're the only bidder at close of auction, you'll get it for $20 if there were no other bidders. Now let's say, you have your $40 bid entered (still showing $20 on the auction) and I come along and bid $21, I'll automatically be outbid by you because the site will up your bid to $22 .... outbidding me. I get pissed, throw up a $25 bid and you will automatically outbid me again at $26. It will go this way until your max bid is reached, so if somebody bids against you for $45, they will outbid you by $1 ... at $41 even though they actually bid $45. If some fool comes along and bids higher than $45 (say $50), HE will now show a $46 bid.

Now, this is where you can get burned by sniping. Say I'd like to pay no more than $25 for an item listed at $20 with no bids listed ... BUT ... I'd actually be willing to go as high as $35. I wait until the last minute to bid and I throw in a bid for $25. If nobody else bids, I'll get the item for $20, but if some jackass comes in at the last minute and throws in a bid for $30 ... he'll have outbid me and he will get that item for $26 ... $1 over my bid. Now, if I'd thrown in a bid for my original max. of $35, I'd have beat him and "won" the auction for $26. Due to the fact I tried sniping the auction, I now don't have the time to up my bid at the last second ... the auction is over and I'm kicking myself in the ass for not entering my maximum $35 bid in the first place. :pissed

Keep in mind, if you'd have been the first to enter your $25 bid (still showing at $20) and at the last second, some other bidder snipes you and also throws in a $25 bid, YOU will win (for $25) since you had identical bids, but you were the first to place that bid. A little trick I use myself when sniping is to throw in odd figures. Most people will bid in even increments ... say $5, $10, $15, $20, etc, etc. If I want to pay no more that $25 for an item, I may throw in a bid for $26.87 for example. If another sniper jumps in at the last minute and we're BOTH sniping, there's a chance we both may bid $25 and if he's as little as 1-second ahead of me, he'll still win since he bid first. Now if there are a few seconds left and he's able to up his bid by another $1 or even $1.50, my 37-87cents will still knock him out of the running and I'll still "win".

Like I said at the beginning, all that b/s is too stressful for me and I avoid auctions like the plague. I will have to admit, it's fun to win an auction for an item priced low and nobody else catches it. Back in the day, I'd stumble onto typos and misspellings. Lets say I'm looking for a Ruger magazine for my 10/22 and the guy accidentally listed one with a typo as "Tuger clip" ... anybody searching "Ruger" would not be able to find it. I could end up buying the thing at auction for a dollar! ;)

HideHunter
01-04-2020, 07:52 PM
Couple of good suggestions in there.. I had thought about the bidding the odd figure.. Going after one in the morning.. Only one bid so far.. ;) thnx..

Thumper
01-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Hide, what some will also do is “walk” their bidding to find the break point. Example: If that auction you’re interested in has one bid, you have no idea what his actual bid is (as explained above). Say he’s showing a $20 bid. You can go in 5-10 mins before end of auction and bid $21. If you’re immediately outbid and it then shows a $22 bid, you can throw in a $23 bid. That way you can “walk” the bidding up to his max. bid. Say the bidding gets to $25 and you throw in a bid for $26 and it then shows you as high bidder, you know his max bid was $25. Now, if you’re willing to pay as much as $30, throw another bid in for $30.38, or $30.87 ... whatever. If nobody snipes you, you’ll get it for $26.