PDA

View Full Version : What say ye?

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
I had a conversation once with Larke about surveillance cameras at intersections. I think my daughter had gotten a ticket at one intersection that had one and I received it in the mail since the car was in my name on the title. I was a little pissed about it and said something along the lines of it not being fair and maybe an infringement on our privacy. His response was, well if you didn't want a ticket maybe you shouldn't break the law. and that made perfect sense to me. It does kind of come down to being that simple.
Now this makes things even more complicated, at least it does to me. I can see both sides: If you're doing something illegal on your property then you knew the job was dangerous when you took it, to put it in Inspector Gadget terms. On the other hand, both this and the intersection surveillance cameras COULD be used not just to enforce the law, but to invade the privacy of citizens.
By the way, if a US citizen is aiding and abetting the enemy overseas, then it doesn't bother me too much if he gets taken out by a drone.

Anyway, another technology that's caused a bunch of new questions to be asked.
BKB

Lawmakers in at least 11 states are proposing various restrictions on the use of drones over their skies amid concerns the unmanned aerial vehicles could be exploited by local authorities to spy on Americans.

Concerns mounted after the Federal Aviation Administration began establishing safety standards for civilian drones, which are becoming increasingly affordable and small in size.

Some police agencies have said the drones could be used for surveillance of suspects, search-and-rescue operations, and gathering details on damage caused by natural disasters.

Virginia lawmakers on Tuesday approved a two-year moratorium on the use of drones by police and government agencies.

Proponents of the legislation say the unfettered use of drones could infringe on Virginians' privacy rights. The legislation was supported by the ACLU, the Tea Party Federation and agriculture groups, while several law enforcement organizations opposed the moratorium.

"Our founders had no conception of things that would fly over them at night and peer into their backyards and send signals back to a home base," said Sen. A. Donald McEachin, D-Henrico, a sponsor of the Senate bill.

In an attempt to address police concerns, legislators carved out exceptions for the use of drones in emergencies, or to search for missing children or seniors.

The General Assembly action came a day after the Charlottesville City Council passed a resolution imposing a two-year moratorium on the use of drones within city limits and urging the General Assembly to pass regulations.

The Rutherford Institute, a civil liberties group behind the city's effort, said Charlottesville is the first city in the country to limit the use of drones by police.

In Montana, a libertarian-minded state that doesn't even let police use remote cameras to issue traffic tickets, Democrats and Republicans are banding together to back multiple proposals restricting drone use. They say drones, most often associated with overseas wars, aren't welcome in Big Sky Country.

"I do not think our citizens would want cameras to fly overhead and collect data on our lives," Republican state Sen. Matthew Rosendale told a legislative panel on Tuesday.

Rosendale is sponsoring a measure that would only let law enforcement use drones with a search warrant, and would make it illegal for private citizens to spy on neighbors with drones.

The full Montana Senate endorsed a somewhat broader measure Tuesday that bans information collected by drones from being used in court. It also would bar local and state government ownership of drones equipped with weapons, such as stunning devices.

The ACLU said the states won't be able to stop federal agencies or border agents from using drones. But the Montana ban would not allow local police to use criminal information collected by federal drones that may be handed over in cooperative investigations.

The drones could be wrongly used to hover over someone's property and gather information, opponents said.

"The use of drones across the country has become a great threat to our personal privacy," said ACLU of Montana policy director Niki Zupanic. "The door is wide open for intrusions into our personal private space."

Other state legislatures looking at the issue include California, Oregon, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, North Dakota, Florida, Virginia, Maine and Oklahoma.

In Texas, State Rep. Lance Gooden, a Republican, introduced 'The Texas Privacy Act,' a bill that would ban the use of drones over private property, according to MyFoxAustin.com.

Gooden said the legislation is necessary because of the growing privacy concerns over the aircraft, which he says are getting smaller and cheaper, according to the report.

"The drones that are coming out today, they're very small. They're cheaper. In four to five years everyone can have these," Gooden told MyFoxAustin.com.

A Missouri House committee looked at a bill Tuesday that would outlaw the use of unmanned aircraft to conduct surveillance on individuals or property, providing an exclusion for police working with a search warrant. It drew support from agricultural groups and civil liberties advocates.

"It's important for us to prevent Missouri from sliding into a police-type state," said Republican Rep. Casey Guernsey of Bethany.

A North Dakota lawmaker introduced a similar bill in January following the 2011 arrest of a Lakota farmer during a 16-hour standoff with police. A drone was used to help a SWAT team apprehend Rodney Brossart.

Its use was upheld by state courts, but the sponsor of the North Dakota bill, Rep. Rick Becker of Bismarck, said safeguards should be put into place to make sure the practice isn't abused.

Last year, Seattle police received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration to train people to operate drones for use in investigations, search-and-rescue operations and natural disasters. Residents and the ACLU called on city officials to tightly regulate the information that can be collected by drones, which are not in use yet.

In Alameda County, Calif., the sheriff's office faced backlash late last year after announcing plans to use drones to help find fugitives and assist with search and rescue operations.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/states-propose-limiting-use-drones-by-police/#ixzz2K7legwu6

Niner
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I wonder how hard it would be to shoot them down with a 30-06?
:rocket

Fido
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Couldn't help but think of the TV show "Person of Interest" when I read your post Barry. It's action packed and a favorite of mine.

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I haven't seen that one yet, Fido. I'll check it out.

BKB

Bwana
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
The ND case was mentioned in the article but I know drones have also been used here during spring flooding events to search for potential ice jams in areas not readily accessible plus they can do the job muy' fast.

Thumper
02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I think it's "much ado about nothing". We have satellites in space that have cameras capable of zeroing in on a human and telling what brand cigarrette they're smoking. We have police helicopters flying all around the city day and night. They don't have cameras? What's the difference as to whether the aircraft is manned or not? If you're going to make these type "intrusions" illegal ... where do you draw the line?

BTW, I agree with Cappy on the cameras. We have them all over town and people have been screaming "invasion of privacy" ever since the first one went up. I have a buddy who got nailed running a red light ... no question, he was mailed the photo, it was him driving, it was his car and tag number, the light was red ... he frigging ran a red light! What difference does it make if it had been a high-paid (compared to the cost of a camera) motorcycle cop hiding in the bushes who witnessed the act? IMHO, I'd rather be busted by a camera ... that way there's no question. What's to keep a cop from "stretching" the truth to reach his proverbial "quota" ... or just because he's a prick and wants to "F" with someone ... or he simply doesn't like that flashy red Ferarri you're driving?

We've had certain communities in the area that have banned "red light cams" because of all the hoopla. I really don't get it. To me ... they leave less of an argument than radar, which seems to have been pretty well accepted over the years. How do I know the radar is accurate? How do I know it was actually MY car that was targeted and it wasn't picking up the car next to me that was actually passing me at a higher rate of speed? How do I know the officer isn't a rookie and just learning to use radar? At least with the redlight cams ... I can see with my own eyes that I blew the light.

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I think those are good points and very similar to what Captain said when we were talking about it. But there's the human element removed from it too. do you want a ticket for going 31 in a 30? Most cops I know wouldn't ticket someone for that. There are cities in Oklahoma that make their living from speed traps on highways that go through their town. they bust everyone regardless of how much over the speed limit you are going. Is that the kind of law enforcement we want? I realize the law is the law, but there is also the 'spirit' of the law and the law itself. Isn't that part of the equation? If there was nobody for blocks from an intersection and someone does a 'California stop' is it the same as when its done when there's tons of traffic around. Isn't the spirit of the law for highway safety and not for revenue purposes?

And I don't know many sheriff's offices or city police departments that have satelite's in the sky, Jim. You sure this drone technology is appropriate for local departments?

BKB

LW
02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I think they are great. If they can be used to kill insurgents, maybe the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept. Could use them to kill ferrel pigs. And if they can do that then maybe the local swat team can use them to kill hostage suspects or the OHP can use them to give speeding tickets. Never mind, I hate them. If I wanted them overhead all the time, I would move to the middle east.

Thumper
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Barry, I don't know if it's the norm or not, but here all redlight photo offences are screened and "marginal" offences are thrown out before being mailed. Rolling through stops (California stops) apply to stop signs or "right on red" situations. To my knowledge, we have no cameras set up at stop signs .. only traffic signals. As for a ticket for doing 31 in a 30 ... I honestly don't know if our cameras also have speed detectors, but my guess is, if they do, there's a buffer and anything below a certain speed would be culled also. If not, you can always go to court and fight the ticket. If a judge agrees 31 in a 30 (and he probably would) is out of line, I'm sure it would get thrown out. But, as I said, I don't think that's even an issue with these cams. Now, when I was in Texas, they did have "speed cams" along the roadway. I have no clue if there's any built-in "leeway" or not, but my guess would be there is. I think our cameras just record redlight runners which include turning right on red where it's outlawed.

As for speed traps ... there's one here in Florida that has always been the worst in the nation ever since I was a kid and has been featured on many tv shows. It may have been booted off the top by now, but EVERYONE who's a native of Florida knows about Waldo, Fl. on Hwy. 301. The speed limit drops from 65 mph to something like 30 mph and if you're 5 feet past the sign and doing over 30, you've got yourself a "gift certificate", as we used to say in the old CB radio days. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Yep, I was talking more about the capability than anything else. We have a law here in Oklahoma that says once your town is designated as a speed trap, your local cops aren't allowed to enforce traffic laws on the highways that go through them. They're still there though.
When I got the photo of my daughter by the way, it was clear that she was guilty. Big sunglasses on, talking on her phone. I sent it to her as a Christmas card that year.

BKB

DeputyDog
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I thought it was funny that in I think it was Virginia, the "agriculture groups" supported the ban. Wonder what crop they grow???????:suspicion:

Captain
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Using that reasoning I can see the same thing applied back years ago when the radar speed gun came out...
"That's not fair, they can check my speed from a quarter mile away while hiding in the bushes! This is a violation of my rights..."
Or when police started using a car instead if a horse....
Police have Been flying with aircraft looking for everything from pot to baited dove/duck hunting areas.
I guess it's OK to do that as long as someone is IN the airplane. But a violation of someone's rights cause now the police can stay on the ground and "see" what the airplane sees...
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
It just makes a feller feel better when there's folks inside that black helicopter.