PDA

View Full Version : the whole "knife" thing..

HideHunter
01-24-2020, 10:54 AM
I know I've mentioned I've always liked pocket knives - especially those in the "muskrat" configuration. I started buying a few on ebay.. mostly try to buy used stuff ('cause I like to use stuff ;) ). The whole thing that got me interested was - hunerd (sic) years ago, before, during and after the spike in fur prices I had a Queen Steel Muskrat with the winterbottom bone handle.. I came to call it my $15,000 knife because I figured I'd skinned that many dollars worth of hides.. I about cried (probably did) when I lost it :(.. Only thing I could buy to replace it at that time was a Queen stockman I still have..

So - I've been looking.. Very few winterbottoms come up, and in the time I've been looking, *no* muskrats.. Lo and behold - about a week ago.. a "new" one came up with the "make offer". almost pulled the trigger - then the Scot in me thought. "wth".. I shot him a lowball and danged if he didn't take it.. So, when I paid for it in the "similar items" - hell, there's another one that only had a couple days on auction.. Long story short (okay, like Thump I don't do that ;) ) I sniped this one and bought it really reasonable.. I couldn't find one for years - now I have two in the mail at the same time.. There's a couple more I wouldn't mind having.. but now I'm really look for bargains.. Thanks for the tips Thump! ;)

quercus alba
01-24-2020, 11:08 AM
sounds like High Publa Kribbs just got another convert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

jb
01-24-2020, 02:34 PM
A post without pictures, is like a ----- , well you know.:withoutpics

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2020, 06:39 PM
You’re makin’ it too complicated!

Although I did carry a Barlow when I carpentered and itwas a dandy.

BKB

HideHunter
01-24-2020, 09:10 PM
sounds like High Publa Kribbs just got another convert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

:D.. you misunderstood.. I didn't exactly "buy" it - I "won" it on ebay.. ;)

HideHunter
01-24-2020, 09:12 PM
You’re makin’ it too complicated!

Although I did carry a Barlow when I carpentered and itwas a dandy.

BKB

Barlow may well be the *ugliest* pocket knife ever made,, this is me looking down my nose.. ;)

Chicken Dinner
01-25-2020, 09:01 AM
I love me a picket knife and have carried many throughout the years. (Gibbs’ 9th Rule!). I lost my “dress” knife last summer and haven’t found something that strikes my fancy yet. For casual and chores, I’ve tended towards small lock blades with a clip lately so I have one less thing rolling around in my pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HideHunter
01-27-2020, 09:45 PM

Here's the "unicorn" that started the whole thing.. Queen Winterbottom one.. been looking for one 30 years +.. Now I have two.. ;)

Trav
01-28-2020, 10:16 PM
I love me a good knife, I got a fair amount of them. I picked up this custom made Dave McCroskey Trapper set earlier last year. They are wicked sharp, he cryogenically treats the steel.

HideHunter
01-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Very nice, Trav.. Got me to thinking.. I won a knife in a prize package a few weeks ago.. I kind of pawed through the stuff. and when I saw it didn't come with the sheath.. I kind of mumbled under my breath and tossed it back in the box.. Just dug it out and found a card with it.. JW Peters.. seems he was the season 6 champion of the "Forged in Fire" TV show on the History channel.. Fit and finish isn't gorgeous - but it's sure as hell sharp..11197

HideHunter
02-03-2020, 10:47 AM

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2020, 11:33 AM
I see an Old Timer like one I carried for a long, long time.

You’re making me want to go buy a pocket knife and I’m pocket knife poor already.

Thumper, why don’t you find me another ten or so? I really loved the last batch!

BKB

HideHunter
02-03-2020, 12:00 PM
kind fun to fool with.. by sticking with the muskrats it hasn't gotten too far out of hand.. ;)