PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout some nice fish pics?

Thumper
01-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Well, not like Big Sky's fish pics, but since youse dufes act like a bunch'o slugs lately, I figured I may as well post SOMETHING here. Lynn surprised me on my birthday with an Orlando trip to hit one of our favorite dinner spots. Man-o-man, did I pig out!

Miso soup, salad and hot saki for starters.

Then for the good stuff! A big ol' boat load'o sushi! It's hard to see here, but in the "bow" of that boat was a TON of the really good stuff! As in, "melt in yo' mouf' good"!

We destroyed it ... no left-overs here!

And then the restaurant treated me to a birthday dessert ... some kick-ass tiramisu!

Wow! Lynn's birthday is on Feb. 10th ... now I may have to up my game a bit. :thumbsup

Bwana
01-28-2020, 11:40 AM
So Big Sky posts pictures of fish he has caught and you post pictures of the bait, interesting.

HideHunter
01-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Absolutely looks like a feast, Jim.. Hard to believe - considering I live in rural, SE Iowa.. but I've never had sushi .. or sashimi, if you will.. Probably something best not bought at the gas station..

Big Skyz
01-28-2020, 12:07 PM
I gave sushi an honest try over my Christmas break. It doesn't do it for me. Most of my family liked it, but I do not. I agree with Bwana it's more useful as bait.

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2020, 12:13 PM
I tried it once in the early 90’s on a business trip to, of all places to get sushi, Salt Lake City. The person who took us said it was thebest place in town and everyone else was gushing about it. It gave me a big time headache and bellyache and I did some gushing of my own later.
I like the California rolls and I absolutely love poke’, and I’ve had citrus cooked fish (usually fresh killed lionfish) on many dive boats as a snack. So its not the raw that gets me I don’t think.

And there’s the whole parasite thing. I think eating raw food gives you worms. Blame my Momma, not me.

BkB

Thumper
01-28-2020, 12:34 PM
The odd thing is, I really don't care for fish all that much and seldom eat it, BUT ... I will tear through a truck load ... errrr, boat load (?) of sushi if given a chance. HideHunter, you're correct. I just use the word sushi here with these deplorables to keep things simple. Sushi is actually just the rice, the boat pictured above contains sushi, sashimi, nigiri and maki.

When my SEAL buddy and I used to hit Thailand regularly, there was a little sushi place at the new Bangkok Airport which we discovered on one trip as we were leaving the country. We stopped for a few bites and were VERY impressed. We talked with the owner (who was also the sushi chef) and were super impressed with his knowledge of the product, but we were in a rush to catch our flight and had to cut the visit short. Our normal routine for our return flight was to exchange any leftover Baht we had, back to USD, but after discovering this little joint, we'd go in, sit at the bar, then we'd both empty our pockets/wallets and lay ALL the Baht we had on the bar, We'd then tell the chef to keep the sushi coming until the Baht was depleted! We got to know the owner pretty well over the years and the sushi was to die for! I really miss that little place,

BTW, sushi (or sashimi, etc) can be like the tamale post we had a while back. Like anything, there's good and bad I suppose, but tbh, I haven't had bad sushi other than a place I remember where the rolls were too loose and cut too thickly, but that was just a bad sushi chef, not bad ingredients.

Thumper
01-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Oh, P-hole, I also love poke, but I have had some in Hawaii that I really didn't care for. The best I ever had in my life was tako that was made by Lynn's grandmother. Funny Thump story! Just a couple months after meeting Lynn, I went to one of her family's Sunday dinners. Every Sunday, the family would go to Lynn's bachan and jiichan's (grandmother/grandfather) house and her bachan would put on a huge spread. This was actually the day I formally met the family for the first time, so I was on my best behavior. We sat down to the huge dining room table (10-12 people) and her grandmother served quite the meal, including a huge prime rib (one of her specialties I later learned). Well, right in front of me, but on the opposite side of the table, was a large platter of sliced octopus tentacles! TBH, I wasn't sure what it was all about at that time, but I tried a small piece (to be polite) and SUMBITCH that was good stuff! I asked what it was and was told tako (octopus tako poke). Well, there was so much food there that I noticed everyone was pretty much ignoring the tako and every once in a while (when I thought most were preoccupied with eating), I'd reach across the table and snag another piece. This went on for a while and I thought I was being pretty inconspicuous, but I guess ol' bachan was taking note. Finally, without saying a word, she stood up from her end of the table, walked over to where the tako was, picked up the platter, walked all the way around the table, then cleared a space, set the platter down in front of me, then continued back to her chair at the end of the table. At this point she hadn't said a word and I glanced over at her feeling a bit embarrassed. At that instant, she looked straight at me, gave me a little smile and winked ... then continued with her meal, still never uttering a word. Ha! I took the hint and pretty much ate that whole damned platter by myself! Note: I was pretty much considered a part of the family from that day forward. :D

I've had tako at various places since, but to this day, NOTHING has come close to bachan's tako!

quercus alba
01-28-2020, 01:37 PM
How about this?

Buffalo and channel cat

Thumper
01-28-2020, 01:40 PM
I'll have to admit, you could FRY most ANYTHING and I'd like it!

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2020, 02:38 PM
You can keep the buffalo but I can put a hurt on some fried kittyfish. Thank god for catholics as we have two all you can eat catfish places on Friday nights.

BKb

Thumper
01-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Well, I'm a bit farther south ... we have AYCE catfish places on every street corner. You can hit some of 'em up any day of the week, but they're EVERYWHERE on any Friday! Give me a gallon of good tartar sauce and I'll tear up a mess of 'em!

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2020, 03:01 PM
You forgot the hushpuppies.

BKB

Thumper
01-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Oh, that’s a given!

HideHunter
01-28-2020, 10:18 PM
I feel your pain, white oak.. I had to gag down bluegills tonite.. ;)

Thumper
01-28-2020, 11:10 PM
Somehow, the sound of buffalo, bluegill and catfish sashimi just doesn’t sound all that exciting. Breaded and deep fried, I think even an old boot would taste good!

quercus alba
01-29-2020, 01:02 AM
I Empathize with you Gene, especially if you have homemade tartar sauce and fish gravy. Toss in some hand cut fries and it’s absolute misery