PDA

View Full Version : Wish ya’ll were here!!!......

Big Muddy
01-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Well, ya’ll that like the crawfish, anyway. ;)
First of the season for me, but I assure it won’t be the last !!! ;)

Thumper
01-29-2020, 02:08 PM
That’s what’s called a mess’o mudbugs!

Big Skyz
01-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Makes me wish I was there. A meal like that is extremely rare out West. Most folks out west just consider them bait and not food. I wish they were more popular as I think they taste great. Our lakes are over flowing with crawfish and for the most part they aren't harvested at all.

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Muddy is there a season you have to avoid with mudbugs? I know they molt sometime in summer don’t they?

BKB

Bwana
01-29-2020, 03:35 PM
How do you southerners say it? That looks larupin!

Tried to get some when we were in New Orleans a few years back but were told they were out of season. If I recall that was probably early September.

quercus alba
01-29-2020, 03:46 PM
Makes me wish I was there. A meal like that is extremely rare out West. Most folks out west just consider them bait and not food. I wish they were more popular as I think they taste great. Our lakes are over flowing with crawfish and for the most part they aren't harvested at all.

Big Muddy
01-29-2020, 04:32 PM
The best time to catch crawfish down here is when they come outta their pseudo-hibernation from about January thru May.

Sky, order one of those traps like in QA's picture, or just make your own, real simple.....then, bait it with about any kind of fish or meat scraps or even table scraps.....you'll be eating crawfish like a king in no time, at all.

For the adventurous folks, try the crawfish ice cream.....Thump will prolly barf, when he sees this. ;)

https://www.southernliving.com/desserts/ice-cream/red-circle-crawfish-ice-cream

BarryBobPosthole
01-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Does anyone else buy them from some shady looking dude parked on the shoulder?

BKB

Big Muddy
01-29-2020, 05:21 PM
Does anyone else buy them from some shady looking dude parked on the shoulder?

BKB

Those guys usually have some of the biggest and best crawfish.

Thumper
01-29-2020, 05:34 PM
I like 'em, just too danged lazy to eat 'em. Give me a big ol' lobster or two and I'm in heaven.

HideHunter
01-29-2020, 09:06 PM
Love them things..I can eat until I'm embarrassed and never get full. ;) Just walked by some in the seafood case today.. whole, cooked - 5 bucks a pound.

Big Muddy
01-29-2020, 10:30 PM
That’s a pretty good price, Hide.....boiled are about $6 down here.....I paid $3.99 for those live ones in my pic, and boiled them myself, but I was working in Loozana, and picked those up in Rayville, LA......talk about some kinda good, mmmm!!! ;)

After Easter, prices will drop below $2 for the live ones.....I very seldom buy the boiled ones, as I just prefer to boil and season my own.

HideHunter
01-30-2020, 09:58 AM
In honesty.. I thought that seemed cheap - but I didn't put a lot of thought in in it. ;).. We can't get them around here.. When I was a kid, any marsh, pond or oxbow - now - I don't know where I'd go to even find enough for bait.. Bullfrogs pretty much the same way..

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2020, 10:15 AM
I like the stuff in a crawfish boil almost as much as I do the guests of honor. Andouille sausage, corn on the cob, shrimp, little taters....yum. And lots of hot hot hot seasoning.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-31-2020, 10:18 AM
I ate some killer crawfish bisque, last T'giving.....the young lady shared her recipe with me, and I'm making a crock pot of it for the SB game.....also, as usual, I've been ordered to make a big bowl of my world-famous "from-scratch-homemade-banana pudding".....none of that boxed pudding powder with fake whipped cream stuff for this bunch of yahoos. ;)

Thumper
01-31-2020, 11:01 AM
My grandmother made the best banana pudding known to man and passed the recipe on down to my mom, who took over the honors of making it for most of the family gatherings after my grandmother passed away. Now that my mom's gone, I have no clue whatever happened to the recipe. Hopefully one of my sisters may have it.

When I was driving my truck, every time I'd head up I-75, at exit 62 in Mt. Vernon, Kentucky, I'd hear a lady from a truck stop there advertising the lunch or dinner specials on the CB radio. EVERY time she did it (like every 5-mins or so), she'd end it with something like "... and our world famous nanner nanner naaaaaaanner pudin'! Yum, yum, come git some!"

I never did stop in there but always wondered how good that 'nanner 'nanner puddin' really was. ;)

Big Muddy
01-31-2020, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure I've posted my recipe here, but here it is for any who might be interested.....it is taped to the inside of our cabinet for easy reference:

Big Muddy
01-31-2020, 11:21 AM
You can tell that things are really getting slow around this joint, when a recipe gets posted. ;)

Thumper
01-31-2020, 12:22 PM
Slow??? The worst it's EVER been. What do we have now? 5-6 regulars? Heck, Cappy OWNS the damn joint and HE doesn't even post any more! :(

We even had a happy birthday thread for Len, including some trolling type posts to drag him out and he didn't even respond. I have to assume he doesn't even bother to READ the posts here anymore.

It's been a great 23 year run so far, but I don't know how long it'll take attrition to wipe this place out. I know I'll be here until we have to pull the plug ... or when the good Lord (or whomever is in control of that sort of thing) pulls the plug on me.

Big Muddy
01-31-2020, 12:35 PM
Don't worry, Thump, things will get heated and busy around here, after Trump is acquitted, then re-elected !!! ;)

DeputyDog
01-31-2020, 12:48 PM
My grandmother made the best banana pudding known to man and passed the recipe on down to my mom, who took over the honors of making it for most of the family gatherings after my grandmother passed away. Now that my mom's gone, I have no clue whatever happened to the recipe. Hopefully one of my sisters may have it.

When I was driving my truck, every time I'd head up I-75, at exit 62 in Mt. Vernon, Kentucky, I'd hear a lady from a truck stop there advertising the lunch or dinner specials on the CB radio. EVERY time she did it (like every 5-mins or so), she'd end it with something like "... and our world famous nanner nanner naaaaaaanner pudin'! Yum, yum, come git some!"

I never did stop in there but always wondered how good that 'nanner 'nanner puddin' really was. ;)

She was probably one of the lot lizards and that was code for her “goodies”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
01-31-2020, 01:30 PM
Man I don’t even wanna think about that.

Birddog has a plastic stick bait that is a color he calls ‘nanner puddin’. He offers to rent me some every time he catches a fish on one.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
01-31-2020, 01:30 PM
Man I don’t even wanna think about that.

Birddog has a plastic stick bait that is a color he calls ‘nanner puddin’. He offers to rent me some every time he catches a fish on one.

BKB