PDA

View Full Version : Day'um....just day'um....

Big Muddy
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
My son and family, built their new home 7 years ago on our farm, about a 1/4 mile from wifey and me....gave him the land, surrounding the house, and we all thought that was just perfect, and we'd have our grandkids nearby.

Son drops a bomb on us, last night, that they want to sell out, and move closer to his work, which is only a 25 minute commute for him....wifey and I are devastated....just day'um!!!

Buckrub
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
You probably don't want to hear this......and I know what you feel like.............but at least all 3 of yours are not a minimum of 850 miles away.........that is tough.

Hope it works out.

Big Muddy
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Bucky, I'm know I'm blessed to have them even 25 minutes away....it's just that we are a close-knit family, and all seemed so perfect, having them all, within walking-distance....I know, I'm prolly being selfish.

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
My only comment is this, kind of based from personal experience. My own family (my parent's family) all lives on the same farm and have all gotten land from my folks and they all live a happy existence, all within a half mile of one another. As for me, and I think this might have something to do with being the oldest of my sibs, I couldn't raise my own family the way I wanted to living in that proximity of the rest of them. We're two hours away and that is just about right for us. Has nothing to do with disagreements or different values, or anything to do with getting along. Its just better this way. And there's obviously pros and cons to each. I wouldn't try too hard to look for a motive for it. There might not be one other than they are happier in another county or town and there really isn't any rationale you can put your finger on.
BKB

Big Skyz
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Bet it was tougher for your son to tell you his plans than it was for you to hear them.

HideHunter
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Exact same thing happened to my sister and bil.. Broke their hearts but what can you say... and the elephant in the room, nobody wants to speak of, is it was a prime building spot which probably doubled the value of the property (not a problem in itself, but) #1. Not ground they wanted to get rid of anyway - and #2. now they have another neighbor they could do without.

Tough one eddie.

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
If any of my sibs wanted to sell out, it would cause a major family crisis. The original 160 is a Dawes Act allotment that the family has sworn they will never break up. The first one to sell would be a black sheep indeed. And that's a very sticky wicket And one of my reasons for living in NE Oklahoma where there ain't no mountains and there ain't a damn thing on the horizon but air. although I love it here.

BKB

LJ3
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Well I know that stings for you, Eddie. I would most likely feel the same way in your shoes.

But if I were in your sonds shoes I can see myself not ever feeling like I had carved out my own life, made my own way, provided what I was supposed to provide for my family if I was living similarly to your son.

It may be hard for you to see right now but to ME... seems like you raised yourself a fine young man who feels quite proud of who he is, what he is, and what he wants to be. Seems to me you did a damn good job of making a good human :

Big Muddy
02-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Yep, Len, my son is a fine young man, and well-respected in our community....and, I'll always be proud of him, no matter what he decides to do....but, we'll sure miss them, being "just-up-the-road."

On the plus-side, just found out that my John Deere dealer's parts manager and his wife are really interested in my son's house....heck, maybe I can get him to just deliver my parts to my house. ;)

Buckrub
02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Ask him if I can get an earth shattering deal on a Gator 850i.

BTW, I live next door to my mother. I'd give a finger (a small one) if I didn't. For what it's worth.

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Bucky, I think Hombre has either a Gator or something dang close to it that he might be looking for a home for. Hit him up.

BKB

Buckrub
02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Who? What? Where? Huh? Didn't he move? Say what?

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
He moving but I'm not sure he's moving his four wheeler. He may be i the market if he hasn't already sold it.

BKB

Trav
02-08-2013, 10:09 PM
He has a Polaris ranger crew cab, it's a 2011 model but he bought it new last year.

Buckrub
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Oh.

No thanks.

jb
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Eddie, that's a tough one, but it's not like they're moving to Michigan.:friendly_wink:
My three sons and their family live here in town, farthest one is about a 10 minute drive, closest is about 5 minutes.
#2 lived in Chicago for 8 years, when they had their first child 9 years ago, they decided to move back home as Chicago was no place to raise kids.
We love them living here, my 5 granddaughters each spend at least one day each week with my wife and I, we just went to dinner with my 3 year old last night.
I think we'd be devastated if one would move away.
We're both retired, and well enough off that we could have a winter home in FL or AZ, but the thought of being away from the grandkids for the winter just doesn't work for the wife, so that's one reason I'm looking out the window at snow right now.
I'm sure things will settle in for you and your wife, finding a good neighbor may be harder than having the kids move.