PDA

View Full Version : Quershun for you A/C Knowerabouters

BarryBobPosthole
03-09-2020, 03:36 PM
My thermostat, smart alec that it is, started giving me an error code for my A/C. After much high level troubleshooting in the ‘advanced’ menu of the thing (and much swearing) the error code it’s giving (LPS 01) indicates low refrigerant level. I had this unit put in when I retired, so it’s only five years old. Is that a reasonable amount of time for the damned thing to need to be serviced?

I’ll take my answer off the air, thank you.

BKB

Thumper
03-09-2020, 05:23 PM
Well, this isn't "off the air" but I'll throw in my 2-cents. I have mine serviced annually but it's only 2 years old. I've been in this house going on 31 years and am on my 3rd unit (heat pump and air handler). But, the one that was here when we bought the house was knocked out by lightning (I don't know how old it was). After it was replaced, the replacement needed refrigerant every couple of years. There was obviously a small leak someplace, but they checked a dozen times (two different companies) and could never find it. That unit finally had a critical failure after about 20 years and I replaced it with the one we have now. They ran all new lines and so far (2 years), they haven't had to add any juice. BTW, the unit I have now has a 20 year warranty. I don't remember if it covers leaks or not, but I know all the major components are covered, so I suppose it depends on where the leak is. That said, if the coolant is low ... there IS a leak as it's a sealed unit. My leak issue was tiny and I just had it topped off with my annual service. I think a pound or two (if needed) was covered in the regular service fee. I'm not sure from reading your post, have you ever had it serviced in those 5 years? (that's supposed to be an annual thing)

BarryBobPosthole
03-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Nope! I get it serviced when its broke. We had a maint contract for a year once and about all they did was change the filters.
BKB

Thumper
03-09-2020, 05:41 PM
That's pretty much what I used to do, but when I had this new unit installed, it came with a 10-year warranty .... BUT, if you have it serviced annually (by any company, just keep receipts), they double the warranty to 20 years. I just look for one of those "Spring Specials" and use the coupon or whatever.