PDA

View Full Version : Willy

Thumper
03-18-2020, 08:12 AM
How ‘bout a separate update thread?

How are you and especially the wife doing?

Penguin
03-18-2020, 09:39 AM
I think I'm just about over it. Went for a walk off the hill and my wind is ok even if I am coughing up a bunch of junk.

Heidi is not as bad I think. She had breakfast for the 1st time in a while. And she's holding it down so far. Still has a fever and super congested though. Her cough sounds ugly though.

So I think we're ok so far. :)

Will

Thumper
03-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Keep us informed buddy. Things sound positive on your end, but let Heidi know we're all pulling for her. It sounds like she's improving, which is a good sign.

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 09:50 AM
That’s good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin
03-18-2020, 10:24 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, it's much appreciated. I think we'll be fine unless something changes.

Now the big question is how to get my classes taught online. Much less effective. Much more work. But the only option so I'm itching to get uncontagious so I can get to work.

Will

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Indiana University and Purdue have already announced that they will remain with online only classes through the end of the semester and are asking any student who can to leave campus and return home.

I can attest that online classes are not up to the standards of regular classes. Decertify the classes I took for my bachelors degree were online and I wasn’t impressed.

Thumper
03-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Ok, call me a dinosaur, but how the heck do on-line classes work anydamnway? How are tests given? Man-o-man, when I was in school/college, I couldn't imagine taking an exam with my good friend Google or Siri sitting right next to me. How does that work?

Hombre
03-18-2020, 11:05 AM
Great to hear that things are turning for the positive!

As far as online goes Kenzi has been online at UW for about 2 weeks, and just took finals. They do it a few ways. Some have a program you log into and it basically takes over your computer so you can't use any other windows. Some have a program that the teacher can see. They are all online tests. As far as learning and lectures a lot of colleges have moved to Zoom or some type of live feed.

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Well, taking over the computer wouldn't be such a big deal. You can still have your phone, tablet, laptop or extra p/c right beside you. If the teacher is "looking at you" on a live feed, I suppose that would make things a bit more difficult, but still not impossible. I was an engineering major and my tests included a lot of math. We had slide rules then, but I couldn't imagine having the use of a calculator during a test ("pocket" calculators didn't exist then) and could Google formulas. I don't know, it just seems too easy to cheat the system with an on-line test. I'm sure they've figured something out, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the concept. Heck, in my day, "cheat-sheets" were about the only way to fudge and even then, those professors had eyes in the back of their heads! I once wrote some important names on the waistband of my underwear for a history test. My teacher got a bit suspicious when I accidentally wrote "Haines" as the name of our 19th President! ;)

quercus alba
03-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Ok, call me a dinosaur

Ok, you're a dinosaur

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Ok, you're a dinosaur

Unfortunately, you're probably correct. :(

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Some of my online classes were what they called distance where the instructor was at one of the other campuses holding a live seated class through Zoom which is basically like a videoconference, but a lot of the online classes there isn’t any direct contact. The lecture is a power point and then there are discussion boards that you are required to participate in.

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:53 AM
Ok, I throw in the towel, I'm officially a dinosaur. I can understand the learning part, but I just can't quite grasp the testing concept. :(

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 11:55 AM
Yep Distance Learning has been around forever, Darrell.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 11:55 AM
Yep Distance Learning has been around forever, Darrell.

BKB

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:58 AM
So has single posts but you're having trouble grasping THAT concept! ;)

Thumper
03-18-2020, 12:01 PM
You got'ta remember, I bailed out'ta the corporate world in 1988 and became an "old school" business owner. I have no clue what "Distance Learning" is all about. Heck, I'm busy right now learning about "Social Distancing".

So, keep your DISTANCE buster ... I'm in a crappy mood right now! ;)

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 12:05 PM
Speaking of social distancing, I tried to get a little action from the wife last night and she mutter something about social distancing and told me to go sleep on the couch. [emoji1]

Thumper
03-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Speaking of social distancing, I tried to get a little action from the wife last night and she mutter something about social distancing and told me to go sleep on the couch.

Try showering first. It works wonders! :poke

HideHunter
03-18-2020, 08:42 PM
feel better!