PDA

View Full Version : Well shit!

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:51 AM
Lynn's GM just came into her office and "highly suggested" she immediately use any vacation time she has accrued, or she could lose it. I think the hand-writing is on the wall. That sucks. She's worked there 14 years and it looks like she's headed for the unemployment line. :crybaby

Health insurance is now going to be a major issue. She's too young for Medicare and too old to find a new job (as if there are any available). She may be forced into early retirement (just turned 62), but Medicare doesn't kick in for another 3 years.

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear that Jim. Kinda scary that they are doing that instead of layoffs. Kinda makes you wonder what the long term effect of all this is going to be.

If things do return to normal I would think that she should be in a pretty good position will that much experience. 62 ain’t that old for the hospitality industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
03-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Well, I may be jumping the gun a little, but I see no way they can keep the doors open at 10% occupancy. We don't even know what they're going to do, but the big hotel chains are already shutting down, so it's kind of a no-brainer that they'll be closing the doors. Ironically, they just built another large hotel right across the street and it was scheduled to open the end of this month. Can you imagine the stress those investors are facing right now? This thing is getting really scary and as it stands, nobody really knows how long it will last.

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 12:14 PM
I’m just waiting for someone like GM or Ford to say that they are going to have a one or two month shutdown due to the danger of having that many people together in their factories. The ripple effect would devastate this area as most of the industry is tied to the automotive industry as part suppliers.

We were really effected in 08 when the big three almost went under.

Thumper
03-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Well, they may not shut down due to internal virus concerns, they could very well be shut down by interruptions in the supply chain since the auto parts industry is so global these days. If the Chinese plants are shut down, it trickles down to not being able to get parts to GM or Ford, etc. As a stupid example, what if the automakers had to depend on toilet paper to complete an automobile? They are vulnerable to many supply interruptions. In my younger days, I moved from Memphis to Arlington Texas and rented an apartment on Saturday. I was scheduled to start my new job at the GM Assembly plant there on Monday. The railroad went on strike on Sunday and since no parts could get to the plant, they started lay-offs on Monday. Due to union regs, I couldn't start until ALL laid off union workers had returned to work. The strike dragged on and I ended up working construction on the (then new) Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport. I never did get to work at the GM plant as, while I was waiting for the strike to end, Uncle Sam snagged me and told me I was headed for Vietnam!

Thumper
03-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Here ya’ go Deppity.

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/488262-detroit-automakers-to-close-down-factories?amp

DeputyDog
03-18-2020, 03:40 PM
Well, I figured it was a matter of time. This is gonna be one more hit to the economy when it trickles down to the suppliers and they are off without pay.

Makes the travel industry look worse too because it will take longer for them to get back all of the business they are going to lose first because of the quarantines then because of all the people that are going to lose wages for who knows how long.

If it was just the quarantine then it would snap back as soon as people are allowed to travel again but not if they have fallen behind on all of their payments because they haven’t been working.

I’m so thankful that my wife and I don’t have that concern.

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 05:14 PM
I still think that among all of the ‘programs’ that Congress will come up with, a work program should be included where some of these out of work people can get employment and yes even get health insurance while they’re working.
there is plenty of work to do and we ought to be looking for a way to give people some dignity about the money we’re planning to spend to keep them afloat.

BKB

Thumper
03-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Work program?? Well duh! Most already had jobs ... they just can't perform them. WTF is a "work program"? Open a government operated toilet paper plant? Then what happens to social distancing? :crazy

You're starting to sound like Bernie! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 07:24 PM
Well there are lots of things we could hore them to do. I’d rather do that than cut them a check. All kinds of people will be shut in and will need welfare checks. There’s lot of shit we will need people to do.
The alternative is unemployment checks and welfare.
BKB

Thumper
03-18-2020, 07:46 PM
What‘chu been smokin’ today?

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 08:29 PM
You obviously ain’t been keeping up with current events. Making people whole on lost wages is the REPUBLICAN plan right now.

BKB

Thumper
03-18-2020, 08:38 PM
I get that. But you’re talking about putting people to work to earn a paycheck. That makes sense when the economy is good and there are slobs laying on their asses while help wanted signs are posted in every fast food joint in town. THAT’S when the DEMOCRAT plan kicks in and pays them to continue layin’ on their asses even though jobs are available. Now that people CAN’T work because this virus has the world turned upside down, all of a sudden it’s the REPUBLICAN plan to “give” them some help? These are people who HAVE jobs and are WILLING to work, but can’t. WTF? You can’t see the difference? Or are your blue tinted glasses too dark to see through?

Democrat plan = Pay people who are able but unwilling to work.

Republican plan = Pay people who are willing but unable to work.

I know which one I prefer!

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2020, 09:17 PM
slapsforehead

Thumper
03-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Like this? :slaphead

;)