PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bubba! Call me a maroon ....

Thumper
03-20-2020, 05:01 PM
That estate sale didn't work out quite like I'd planned. It seems the brother showed up to "supervise" the sale and was there every day of the set-up, so I never could slip over there for a "pre-sale" purchase opportunity. So, I was there with the masses this morning and had to participate in the usual mad dash with the commoners. ;)

What made it really difficult is, the property covered 8 acres and had four separate areas as part of the sale. There was the main house (#1), a full basement (#2), a barn/shop (#3) and a "guest house" (#4). There was also a carport, a small out building (shed) and a pump house, also filled with "stuff". (I don't think the old guy EVER threw anything away.) Since all buildings were stuffed to the hilt with "stuff", they only allowed 10 people at a time into each area. (VERY complicated) The sale started at 9:00 am and I got there at 6:45 to be the first in line. Problem is, the sale drew so many people, I wasn't the only one to get there early and was actually number 11 in line. I asked where the "gun stuff" was and was told the basement, so that's the first place I went. Of course, I squeezed in there with 9 other guys, so I just started grabbing stuff and putting it in my bag. The first thing I saw was the Colt Army parts you were interested in, so that's the first thing that went into my bag. By time I found the knives, the flag, bayonet and one of the Marbles knives had already been snagged. I grabbed the last Marbles and added it to my bag. So, "your shopping" was complete, then I started on mine. During the process, I found another Colt Army frame and snagged it. Come to find out, the old guy had been a gun smith and the basement had elebenty-bazillion "parts guns" down there. The basement shop was STUFFED with gun parts, reloading stuff, a truck load of ammo, gun smithing tools ... you name it, it was there. I've never really had an interest in the older stuff as all my personal guns were bought new, so I was a bit overwhelmed and moved on to other things that I was personally more interested in.

Of course, as I moved on to other areas, much of what I'd spotted in the pics was already gone, but I did bring home a pile of crap. When I left the basement, I left that first bag with my buddy (who owns the estate sale company) and told him to work out a price for me as I moved on to the barn and the other various buildings. Once I returned to the main house, I added my other pile of stuff to the original, paid the price and headed for my truck. Once I got home, I unloaded all the stuff and only then did I realize what a dufus I am. The Colt Army you spotted in the original pics, is not a Colt! Duh! I was in such a rush to grab the thing, I never even looked at it, just threw it in my bag and moved on! I'd forgotten all about it until I got home. Anyway, I'll post a pic of what I grabbed. If you have any interest, let me know.

The parts you "thought" were a Colt, is actually a Firearms Import & Export Corp. "Western Duo" .22 cal. pistol. It came with two interchangable cylinders (.22 LR and .22 Mag). I only found the one cylinder in the pic. I did find half of a wood grip. Anyway, here's the pic. I don't expect you to want it, as I'm the dumbass nimrod who just chunked it into my bag without even looking at it. I guess it'll make a good paperweight. (here's the original pic and a pic taken once I got it home)

11428 11421

Now, I DID find another Colt Army frame (32-20 W.C.F.) and the aforementioned Marbles if you're interested. The Colt has a few usable parts and the Marble has no sheath, but appears to have never been sharpened that I can tell. It has plenty of patina, but is sharp and I see no file or grinder marks on the blade. These pics show the "as found" condition as I haven't even wiped the dust off of them. Again, if you're interested, we'll work something out. Here are a few quick pics I took. I can take more detailed pics if you want.

11422 11423 11424

11425 11426 11427

jb
03-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Thanks for getting this stuff, what you got into (or better yet what do you need for all the stuff you have pictured)?
All of it is of some interest to me.

Thumper
03-20-2020, 07:33 PM
TBH, I don’t normally mess with this type stuff, except maybe the knife. Just figure an honest figure it’s worth to YOU and I’ll most likely roll with it. We’ve dealt with each other before, so there’s a positive trust issue there. You can make an offer by email if you don’t want to make it public. No matter what, I’ll work with you to the point we should both be happy with the deal. If you want more pics, just let me know as I just snapped these in a rush when I got home.

Thumper1952@verizon.net

Thumper
03-20-2020, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah, on the Colt frame, I don’t know if the barrel is pressed into the frame, or screwed in. Anyway, it’s a little off-set like it had been removed then just stuck back together without lining up the front site with the frame (if that makes sense). It just needs to be rotated a few degrees to line everything up. The wood grip (1/2) for the F. I. E. is junk. Someone glued an initial into the grip and it looks like they cut it out a bit to try making the letter flush with the grip. (Initial “K”, ha, for MY last name!). Anyway, I found it laying on the table and threw it in the bag but it’s pretty much worthless. Everything else is pretty much shown in the pics.

jb
03-20-2020, 08:20 PM
Usually the barrel is twisted for accuracy , if the gun is shooting a little left or right, very common.
Check you email.