PDA

View Full Version : Ribs

jb
04-22-2020, 10:08 AM
We don't eat a lot of red meat (beef, pork) mostly do to the wife. (she's the cook, so I have little choice ;>) )
But now and then when we eat out I'll order a nice steak or some ribs.
What I've found is I like to eat the ribs cold even better than hot, I'll order a full portion, then take the other half home for lunch. Nothing like fall off the bone ribs smothered in a nice mild sauce.

Arty
04-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Good ribs have to be in my top 2-3 of all things to cook on the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2020, 10:52 AM
I’m with you on the cold ribs. One of our favorite bbq places is Billy Sims BBQ. I always order extra ribs when we get takeout there.
But I like a little heat in my sauce. ‘Rufus Teague Made Some Sauce Touch o’ Heat’ is a dang good sauce.
BKB

quercus alba
04-22-2020, 11:46 AM
I much prefer braised beef ribs over BBQ. I usually only eat BBQ sauce on boneless meat, something about sticky fingers ruins the experience for me. I use a vegetable puree to braise them in, excellent eating if I say so my self.

Thumper
04-22-2020, 01:05 PM
I'm also a fan of cold ribs (Lynn also). Many, many years ago, my dad and I used to go camping from time to time. On one trip, he brought along a big ol' batch of ribs and had them in the cooler. That evening, I told him I'd get the fire going so we could heat the ribs. He said, "What for?" That was actually my first time eating cold ribs and I've been hooked ever since. Lynn will make a rack and we'll eat ribs hot, but whatever is left over never gets re-heated!

Penguin
04-22-2020, 02:09 PM
You people are all freaks whom I now put into the same category as those lunatics who like cold pizza for breakfast. :p

Will

Thumper
04-22-2020, 02:44 PM
I will add, it only works with good ribs. If too fatty .... well, eating cold lard just doesn’t cut it.

Willy, I’m with you on the cold pizza. I know a lot of people love it, but I ain’t one of ‘em.

Chicken Dinner
04-22-2020, 02:45 PM
What do you expect Chilly Willy? Some of these people put gravy on french fries...

Thumper
04-22-2020, 02:46 PM
You gots’ta live waaay north to do that!

Hombre
04-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Poutine is incredible

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2020, 03:11 PM
You’ve been ruint by Tim Hortons!

BkB

HideHunter
04-25-2020, 11:29 AM
I firmly believe ribs are the goal to which all "smokers" should strive.. I know "brisket" is the Holy Grail..and I like it..but .... ribs.... that's where it's at.. by the by.. I refer to pulled pork as the "floor sweepings" of bbq.. I can make that shit in a crock pot.. with deer.. and it's better...

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2020, 11:34 AM
I’m with you. I am not really good with brisket and its mainly because I’m not that much of a fan. Plus I ain’t paying that much for a damned dewlap. They’ve gotten ridiculous.
CD introduced me to burnt ends and its the best way to make a cheap chuck roast that there is. I could eat my weight of them. A local place makes them from pork bellies and I’ma try that soon.

If you really want to start an argument bring up ‘fall off the bone’ ribs vs ‘competition’ ribs.

BKB

Thumper
04-25-2020, 12:25 PM
If you really want to start an argument bring up ‘fall off the bone’ ribs vs ‘competition’ ribs. BKB

Yeppers, Lynn and I are at opposite ends of that argument. I can eat both actually, but prefer "fall off the bone" .... in her opinion, it's a crime to cook 'em like that.

Buckrub
04-25-2020, 12:45 PM
Have both a Rec Tec and a Green Mountain 'portable' smoker. Pellet smokers have solved all the problems of smoking. I have had every brand, including custom made, that there is. Pellet grill solves problem of constant temp, still adds enough smoke.

That said, HH is nuts. Pulled Pork is hard to do right. You have to get the meat to above 190 or it won't "pull". 208 is ideal, but I usually stop when it hits 195. Then, you have to actually pull it, not chop it. I had a sandwich of it last night. I've made that for groups of 40, and most every time I get those looks "How did you DO this?"....any meat can be made edible by putting it in the oven, but to compare oven baked pork vs. true smoked, pulled pork, is blasphemy. It would take a Yankee (and an ugly one), to say such things. I would easily enter any competition with my pulled pork.

On the other hand, you can make edible ribs by simply rubbing liquid smoke on them and baking. If you get a good quality rib, and you take the membrane off, they are edible. That said, I can NOT make 'competition grade' ribs. I have read all there is to read on it, and tried everything. Oh, they are edible. But never great. But they better NOT fall off the bone. The bone is the eating handle!

Brisket is above my ability. I made my first one about 10 years ago. Truth is, that first one was good. Since then, I've tried and tried, and it's not just fair, they're actually bad. And WAY too expensive for this poor boy to experiment much with. I wish I knew how to do it right. If I was as good at brisket as I am at pulled pork (shoulder roast, or Boston Butt), I'd keep trying. But at this age, I've given up on brisket.

So, I'm great, fair, and awful on the 3 types of meat................but I keep trying.

HideHunter
04-25-2020, 01:17 PM
:D Well, 'Rub.. I realize Iowa isn't a hotbed of BBQ - and we probably don't have the gourmets as in the "South" or "East" or "West". ;) Roasted two deer shoulders with dry onion soup.. 'pulled" them - put them in the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays Set them up at an icefishing get together.. a number of people of people tracked me down to tell me it was the best pulled pork they ever had.. floor sweepings... :D

Thumper
04-25-2020, 01:20 PM
TBH, when I go for BBQ, my go-to favorite is a pulled pork sammich (with a good sauce and good coleslaw ON the sammich). Lynn is a rib gal all the way. Also, when it comes to ribs, she likes 'em dry, I like 'em wet. As I said, total opposites on ribs.

Brisket ain't BBQ unless you're a Texican.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2020, 01:21 PM
We call those Arkansas Pig Sammiches around here. Gotta be on a toasted bun.

BkB

Thumper
04-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Yep, just like your double-posts ... I usually order two sammiches! ;)

Buckrub
04-25-2020, 01:29 PM
:D Well, 'Rub.. I realize Iowa isn't a hotbed of BBQ - and we probably don't have the gourmets as in the "South" or "East" or "West". ;) Roasted two deer shoulders with dry onion soup.. 'pulled" them - put them in the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays Set them up at an icefishing get together.. a number of people of people tracked me down to tell me it was the best pulled pork they ever had.. floor sweepings... :D

I smell a challenge. Glady accepted.....(not the ice fishing part. No way). I'm sure it WAS the best they ever had.....since they probably never left Podunk County, I-OH-WAY! LOL

P.S. Sweet Baby Rays is ok in a pinch. Head Country is all I use, though.

And by the way, BBQ is an adjective to describe sauce. It is NOT a verb. That's because good smoked meat is just fine without sauce. But you NEVER add sauce during the cooking process. It's a condiment, added to cooked meat, if you want. I do like a little, but it's only on the sandwich, or bun, either........

Chicken Dinner
04-25-2020, 04:39 PM
I almost never buy ribs out as I prefer my own. When I try a new BBQ joint, I always go brisket as it’s the hardest thing to do consistently well. But, when it’s done well it’s amazing.

As much as I hate to admit it, the best I’ve ever had was in Texas. Austin of all places, too.

jb
04-25-2020, 04:55 PM
My middle son spends time all over the US, usually Mon thru Thurs. He's a food junkie, and his favorite place to work is Austin TX, claims they have some of the best BBQ joints in the US.
He has his favorites in Boston, Little Rock, Rolly-Durham,& NYC,but Austin is his favorite.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Almost all Texas bbq is beef. Bull to be specific.

BKB

Thumper
04-25-2020, 06:40 PM
BBQ in Austin is beef and the inhabitants are about as Liberal as Berkley. (If that tells ya’ anything) ;)

quercus alba
04-25-2020, 08:38 PM
I may ostracize myself but I think pork ribs are the most overrated cut of meat that comes off a pig. I’m not saying I refuse to eat them, just that they’re not the best part of a pig by a long shot imo.

Beef ribs, that another story completely

airbud7
04-25-2020, 08:50 PM
I may ostracize myself but I think pork ribs are the most overrated cut of meat that comes off a pig.
How would you rate Bacon? :D

quercus alba
04-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Proof that there is a God that loves us

Thumper
04-25-2020, 09:09 PM
I'll eat most anything that comes from a hog, from pig snouts and ears, to feet and tails. BUT ... that doesn't mean those are my favorite cuts! (don't forget the pork rinds or cracklin)

Q/A, regarding ribs, I'm pretty much with you on the overrated opinion and I've had some of the best this country has to offer. Lynn always goes for the ribs, if I have an option, although I don't dislike them, ribs are lower on my list. Even Thai food ... if pork is an option (as opposed to chicken, beef, seafood, tofu, etc) ... the choice is almost always pork. Back to BBQ ... give me a big ol' pile'o pulled pork and I'm all over it! But it doesn't matter ... pork chops, tenderloin, bacon, ham, pork sausage ... even thinly sliced, cooked crispy, FRIED SPAM if you want to carry it out that far.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2020, 09:16 PM
The Spam is my favorite part of the hog!

BKB

quercus alba
04-25-2020, 09:24 PM
Did you know you can mix a little cayenne pepper in flour, coat your spam with it, fry then make gravy in the drippings and serve over biscuits and it’s larrupin

Buckrub
04-25-2020, 09:29 PM
What you goofs are calling "Bbq" (which I've already told you is an adjective, not a noun, and not a verb), is actually "smoked meat". And we eat it because of slaves. The slaves were given the worst parts of the animals as their food. In their ingenious ways, they devised a method to make these cuts of meat edible.....mostly by slow and long cooking.

They deserve a statue for this effort.

Some of you eat weird. It is sad.

airbud7
04-25-2020, 09:38 PM
secrets in the sauce
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2582088354_fd542d555b.jpg

Buckrub
04-25-2020, 09:48 PM
secrets in the sauce
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2582088354_fd542d555b.jpg

If that's true, the South Carolina and Georgia people should be banned from ever mentioning this meat again. I love all areas of smoked meat. People argue about which is best. The best is the one I'm eating AT THE TIME. But GOOD smoked meat does not NEED BBQ sauce. If the sauce is good, then some is ok. I like a good vinegar based sauce. But the orange or yellow drivel sold in Georgia and S carolina for BBQ sauce is of the Devil.

And you can quote me.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trav
04-25-2020, 10:30 PM
Bucky, I have a Rec Tec and love it, I also have a green egg and love it. I made some pork belly Burt ends and they were the best BBQ of any Lind I have had. I am picking up a case of pork bellies next week to make them again.

Thumper
04-25-2020, 10:54 PM
What you goofs are calling "Bbq" (which I've already told you is an adjective, not a noun, and not a verb), is actually "smoked meat".

Well, you've been spouting that for years, but we all know what we're talking about here. And, I ain't no danged English major, but I have no clue how you can state that like it's fact (assuming you're serious). For grins, I looked it up. I see "barbecue" listed as a noun or a verb, both of which you say it is not. Nowhere do I see it listed as an adjective, which you say it is.

barbecue

NOUN

Pieces of beef, pork, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

A framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

A dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

A meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

VERB (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

To cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

VERB (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

So, although it's understood, do we really have to say "We like barbecued (insert meat here)" to be proper and meet your definition as an adjective? Then we would have your adjective if that's what floats your boat. To ME ... using barbecue as an adjective would be more like ... well, I dunno ... maybe biting into a sammich and saying, "That tastes barbecuey to me!"

That said, I agree with you about S. Carolina BBQ (the sauce is mustard based). Not my cup'o tea personally. Sorry, I'm not a huge dry rub fan (Lynn is) and the sauce is as important as the meat imho. (that may be blasphemy to some purists, but to each his own)

North Carolina uses a lot of vinegar which I do like, but it makes my bun soggy. I'm more of a sweeter, tomato based sauce kind'a guy myself. Sauce is a whole 'nuther subject and that discussion can also morph into "thinner sauce vs. thick" (I prefer thinner, but not watery thin), to the thick, gloppy, mostly corn syrup stuff, but again, personal choice) Throw me a Memphis style pulled pork sammich with a sweet Memphis style BBQ sauce and a scoop of coleslaw crammed in there, then I'll slap yo' mama or anybody else who get's in the way.

airbud7
04-25-2020, 11:09 PM
actually we are split on the mustard versus tomato based BBQ sauce, I like both or nothing at all.
https://i.imgur.com/J74zLR6.png

Thumper
04-25-2020, 11:18 PM
We have to speak in generalities here A/B .... not everything is set in stone. Many of the (non-yellow) counties above are a tie between mustard and something else. I guess the point is, you'd be hard-pressed to find common usage of a mustard based sauce anywhere but in S. Carolina. Howzzat?

It's like the Corona Virus ... it's spread south into parts of Georgia (as Bucky alluded to above). They need to eradicate that stuff before it drips down to the Georgia/Florida border! :AR

Buckrub
04-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Well, you've been spouting that for years, but we all know what we're talking about here. And, I ain't no danged English major, but I have no clue how you can state that like it's fact (assuming you're serious). For grins, I looked it up. I see "barbecue" listed as a noun or a verb, both of which you say it is not. Nowhere do I see it listed as an adjective, which you say it is.

barbecue

NOUN

Pieces of beef, pork, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.

A framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.

A dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

A meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.

VERB (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.

To cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

VERB (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.

To cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

So, although it's understood, do we really have to say "We like barbecued (insert meat here)" to be proper and meet your definition as an adjective? Then we would have your adjective if that's what floats your boat. To ME ... using barbecue as an adjective would be more like ... well, I dunno ... maybe biting into a sammich and saying, "That tastes barbecuey to me!"

That said, I agree with you about S. Carolina BBQ (the sauce is mustard based). Not my cup'o tea personally. Sorry, I'm not a huge dry rub fan (Lynn is) and the sauce is as important as the meat imho. (that may be blasphemy to some purists, but to each his own)

North Carolina uses a lot of vinegar which I do like, but it makes my bun soggy. I'm more of a sweeter, tomato based sauce kind'a guy myself. Sauce is a whole 'nuther subject and that discussion can also morph into "thinner sauce vs. thick" (I prefer thinner, but not watery thin), to the thick, gloppy, mostly corn syrup stuff, but again, personal choice) Throw me a Memphis style pulled pork sammich with a sweet Memphis style BBQ sauce and a scoop of coleslaw crammed in there, then I'll slap yo' mama or anybody else who get's in the way.

Of course you see that they list it wrong. Bunch of Illuminati Left Wing Commie Pinko Liberal No-Taste-Bud Jerks. I'm right and they're wrong! LOL

Truth is, that was all tongue in cheek (you never do that, do you???). I'm just trying to make a point. I know how it is commonly used. Heck I do it too (Its Sunday, I have to confess, right?? LOL) sometimes.

My real point, without the emotion, is that I have had all the BBQ (see? I can do it too) in all the regions, and it's truly all good. KC, STL, Texas, Carolina, Georgia, and all the conglomerations in between. I hate cabbage and I hate mayonnaise, so I hate slaw. It's nice to be in Texas and not have to ask "hold the slaw". But others like it. The sauce is NOT the secret to me. A GREAT sauce can sort of make a fair sandwich or rib taste better. FOR SURE it can take dry meat and make it better. But good meat is good without sauce.

Two old friends here bought a Whole Hog franchise. They have some of the best quality meat, pork, beef, and chicken. But they cook everything the way HQ says to, and it's dry as a bone. They have these 6 packs of sauce bottles, 6 different flavors. That's sort of their thing. But it's needed to be able to chew the stuff. Yet, many folks really like their food.

But yeah, you are 100% right about the words, I was just stirring the pot. I thought that was allowed. :D

Buckrub
04-26-2020, 09:54 AM
Airbud, I spend a lot of time in York county, S.C. Well, not a lot, but some. Least I used to, before I had to hide under the bed. I'm still looking for their vinegar based bbq place.

Son lives in Savannah. Fried shrimp is the best anywhere outside Orange Beach. But BBQ? I don't even try. Meat is ok. Sauce is beyond being able to eat.

Buckrub
04-26-2020, 10:02 AM
By the way, all you have to do MOST bbq places is ask for the sauce "on the side". The truly good ones don't put sauce on meat as it's cooking anyway. But it's the mustard based stuff that I can't stomach. It's like the orange crap they put on wings. Ugh!! Only Kribbs can eat a bucket of that stuff (and I've seen him do it).

HideHunter
04-26-2020, 11:03 AM
Proof that there is a God that loves us

^^:D :D :D^^

and *dam* it's refreshing to argue over something besides politics and Covid.. Thank You My Good Friends! ;)

Thumper
04-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Oh, BBQ argume ..... I mean DISCUSSIONS can cover more ground than politics if you get enough people involved.

Yeah Buckster, I’ve heard your “BBQ is an adjective“ so many times over the years, I just assumed you were stating it as fact. I never understood and always disagreed, I just never said anything. Ok, now, it’s understood, you’re just FOS. ;)

I’m being dead serious when I say I’ve had BBQ in every state in the union, including Alaska & Hawaii. It was a personal goal of mine and I completed that mission in 2009. That doesn’t mean squat really because I could be eating crappy bbq in one joint, while the best bbq in the state is two blocks down the street. At least I leaned on my good friend Google to find what the locals considered the best joints in town, but those opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. What I like, may not be what you like.

Oh, and any sauce on my wings will be red, not yellow. Generally, if there’s no smoke coming out of my ears, the wings aren’t hot enough. But, on the flip side, Lynn makes a kick-ass teriyaki wing that I can’t get enough of. My favorite wing is fried, dumped into a big bowl, then I’ll empty a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the bowl, shake it all up for an even coating and I’ll eat my weight in wings! Sweet with a bit of heat, but you can’t get anything better out of a bottle imho.

Buckrub
04-26-2020, 01:06 PM
Yeah Buckster, I’ve heard your “BBQ is an adjective“ so many times over the years, I just assumed you were stating it as fact. I never understood and always disagreed, I just never said anything. Ok, now, it’s understood, you’re just FOS. ;)

Sigh. Secret is out..........

airbud7
04-26-2020, 01:13 PM
My favorite wing is fried, dumped into a big bowl, then I’ll empty a bottle of Tiger Sauce in the bowl, shake it all up for an even coating and I’ll eat my weight in wings! Sweet with a bit of heat, but you can’t get anything better out of a bottle imho.

this is me exactly^ except I like Texas Pete buffalo wing sauce...

https://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/texas-pete-buffalo-wing-sauce.jpg

But Hey!...I gotta try that there Tiger Sauce for sure!...I think others here love it too? I remember hearing about it in a different topic some years back?

Thumper
04-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Yep, any time the subject of wings comes up, I mention Tiger Sauce since it's been my favorite for probably 20 years or more. I think Chicken Dinner tried it once and now I think it's his family's favorite if I remember correctly. Bwana was going to try it, but I don't know if he ever did.

As a similar alternative (and MUCH cheaper), we always have a very large bottle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce in the fridge. You can get it at any Asian market and it's definitely the most economical way to go for a fairly similar flavor profile. I don't think we're partial to any particular brand. (Tiger Sauce is my all-time favorite, but I have zero complaints about the Thai sauce and we also use it for egg rolls, etc)

Arty
04-26-2020, 05:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/51aa822494b0067af5513f734d15b04f.jpg

Speaking of ribs, these are about half way done. Head country seasoning, no mustard or jelly, just dry rubbed. Some apple, and in about an hour imma slather some dukes Carolina gold on them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/51aa822494b0067af5513f734d15b04f.jpg

Arty
04-26-2020, 05:17 PM
This...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/622c9fde9d9da03c7d1b6fda8a46db71.jpg

Arty
04-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Oh, and I wet them down every hour with some apple cider vinegar

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2020, 05:19 PM
Thump, I’ve used Tiger Sauce (with a little butter) on my wings for years. I think it was on your recommendation originally. Even though I like them hotter, it’s something the whole family enjoys. (I’ll usually go for a mango-habanero when I’m out.). The last couple of batches, I’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and really liked it. I even put it on one of the last racks of ribs I did. I will try and look for the Thai brand.

Arty
04-26-2020, 05:58 PM
Thump, I’ve used Tiger Sauce (with a little butter) on my wings for years. I think it was on your recommendation originally. Even though I like them hotter, it’s something the whole family enjoys. (I’ll usually go for a mango-habanero when I’m out.). The last couple of batches, I’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and really liked it. I even put it on one of the last racks of ribs I did. I will try and look for the Thai brand.

I know you are a mayo nazi, but tiger sauce, a little mayo, and a little sirachi... makes an outstanding sauce that is straight up like longhorns boom boom shrimp sauce.

Thumper
04-26-2020, 06:21 PM
Beautiful looking ribs there! (PLEASE don't ruin 'em with that South Carolina mustard sauce!) :smash

Thumper
04-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Yeah CD, Thai Chili Sauce is also sweet without a lot of heat (similar to Tiger Sauce as far as the heat factor is concerned). I'm sure it would be the same with the family, they'll probably like it, but if you're looking for heat, you may want to add some extra chili. We always have it on-hand and usually use it, so Tiger Sauce is a treat these days. One thing is you have a lot more flexibility buying volume, instead of those little (pricey) bottles of Tiger Sauce. We've bought the big 64-oz. jugs, but Lynn doesn't like them taking up so much room in the fridge. So we usually buy the 32-oz. bottles as they fit the rack in the fridge door. I'm not familiar with this brand but the Aroy-D basically means "Good-Delicious" in Thai. The Asian markets usually have about 5-6 different brands available, but I don't know which brands may be better than others. Lynn always does the shopping, so I don't pay much attention to things like that.

Thumper
04-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Oh, BTW, Tiger Sauce also has a Habanero version. I've never tried it as I'm not crazy about habanero. I don't really mind it, but if I have a choice, I prefer a different chili.

Arty
04-26-2020, 07:26 PM
Beautiful looking ribs there! (PLEASE don't ruin 'em with that South Carolina mustard sauce!) :smash

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/29d0aa4ee16a243728d28352b913ff6c.jpg

Too late.

Big Muddy
04-26-2020, 10:26 PM
Thump, we've gotten hooked on a very similar sauce.....I put it on just about everything. ;)