PDA

View Full Version : BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

jb
04-27-2020, 01:42 PM
We've been married 52 years and have owned a boat about 40 of those .
There have been 5 boats, mostly 22' cuddy cabins I/O'S that we boat camped with the family all over the Great Lakes, that I also had rigged up for Salmon Fishing.
Kid's grew up, wife and I just could not justify the cost of a $2,500 slip, winter storage and winter and spring service so we sold our last one about 10 years ago.
Last fall kids started to talk about all the fun they had boating and how they missed it now that they had kids old enough to do it, problem was, no one had a tow vehicle big enough to haul around a 22' I/O
Yesterday neighbor came over and started talking only to find out he was selling his boat and buying a pontoon boat, he has a nice 16 1/2 ' bow rider, 50 HP Yamaha on a Shorelander trailer, about the perfect size for all the inland lakes around here, plus the bay and good weather on Lake Michigan. So a deal was made and I'm back in boating business . Nice clean boat, well taken care off' with a lot of extras. Great boat for water skiing, tubing and just relaxing, kids are already excited.
He also threw in 4 down riggers ( two electric) so with a little work I'll be Salmon fishing again this fall.
I guess this is what happens when you're locked up for 8 weeks. Gives you a nice project along with something to look forward to.

Big Muddy
04-27-2020, 01:47 PM
^^^^^^LIKE !!!^^^^^

Bwana
04-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Let the memories begin!

johnboy
04-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Looks good!

airbud7
04-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Hey, Nice JB!

Thumper
04-27-2020, 02:57 PM
I've had a pile of boats over the years and the last one was a 27' Stamas, cuddy cabin w/350 Chevy marine and a Volvo in/out. I had it at a friend's house who lived on the coast up in the panhandle. He moved and I went up to get it but noticed the salt had really eaten away at the trailer springs. (tandem trailer) It "might" have made the 365 mile trip, but I wasn't going to gamble on it. A neighbor let me store it beside his house until I had time to arrange repairs. In the meantime, a hurricane kicked up in the Atlantic and was headed this way. I called my insurance company (the boat was parked, so I let the insurance lapse) and tried to get insurance reinstated. No can do ... if there's a named storm out there, they put a freeze on any new policies. The closer the storm got, the projections had it making a bee-line for the panhandle area. Ok, now it's panic time. I had visions of that thing blowing right through somebody's frigging living room! I called a buddy of mine who worked at a boat repair place up there and I asked him if he wanted my boat. He informed me there was no way he could afford it and I replied, "I didn't ask if you wanted to BUY it, I asked if you WANT it!" I explained my situation, told him if he could get it out of there by the following day, I'd mail him the title! He gladly accepted. That was probably my 10th boat and also my last. I've sworn them off even though I live on a nice lake with a private boat ramp. Besides, as everyone says, they're just a big hole in the water to dump money in to.

BUT ... you've got something there that will be fun to make memories for the grandkids and that makes it all worthwhile. Luckily, I don't have any of those little rugrats running around! ;)