PDA

View Full Version : Well, you all know I’m not a sports fan ...

Thumper
05-04-2020, 10:46 AM
... but my news feed just informed me that Don Shula has passed away. I may not be a sports fan, but I AM a foodie. I’ve had my name on a plaque on the wall of his Tampa restaurant (Shula’s) for many years. I ate one of his bazillion pound steaks with all the trimmings (including a football sized baked potato) years ago and got the meal free because I devoured the whole mess in the time allotted. I share space on that plaque with “Refrigerator Perry” btw. 😄

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2020, 10:47 AM
And Bobby Hill.

BKB

Thumper
05-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Must be a ball player. I have no clue who Bobby Hill is. Any kin to Phil Hill? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Hank’s son. I think he ate the 72 oz steak at Goobersmooches though.

BKB

airbud7
05-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Refrigerator Perry from right up the road from me.

Penguin
05-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Ah, there's a blast from the past! That was impressive but not up to his feat of devouring two full platters of Lutefisk. "Revenge of the Lutefisk" was perhaps one of the funniest 30 minutes in television history. :)

Sorry to hear about Shula. He was an old school legend that I remember from my childhood.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Lol, yep and Cotton copped to a hate crime to get him off but Bobby confessed.
BKB

DeputyDog
05-04-2020, 01:26 PM
Shula was definitely one of the greats. When I was a kid (early 70’s) the Dolphins was one of the three teams that everyone around here seemed to be a fan of. There were a few Bears fans, but it seemed like just about everyone liked the Dolphins, Steelers, or Cowboys.

I happened to pick the Cowboys and have been a fan ever since. I think one of the main reasons that I picked them at the time was my neighbor had a granddaughter my age that lived in the Dallas area. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeputyDog
05-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Must be a ball player. I have no clue who Bobby Hill is. Any kin to Phil Hill? ;)

His dad is a cousin to Dusty Hill of ZZ Top fame.

Thumper
05-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Thanks Deppity, now I can relate. ;)

Phil Hill was probably before your time, but he was one of (if not THE) greatest Formula One drivers around (back in my day anyway). When I saw the name Hill, he’s the first person who came to mind. Oddly, he never once raced Indy, but I doubt he ever missed a race in Europe.

DeputyDog
05-04-2020, 02:42 PM
I know who Phil Hill was. The only American born F1 champion.