PDA

View Full Version : Question

DeputyDog
06-08-2020, 12:37 PM
Can anyone explain to me how defunding police departments will make them better and more professional?

The mayors in NY and LA have already said that they will take large amounts of funding away from their respective police departments and use it towards social programs.

The mayor in LA has said he will take $150 million directly from LAPD’s budget. The NYC mayor hasn’t specified an amount but there have been class for as much as $50 million and the cancellation of the next NYPD academy class.

In addition to this the city council in Minneapolis has stated that they intend to completely disband the Minneapolis PD and replace it with community based public safety programs.

It’s no wonder that police departments are having a hard time filling open positions. I’ve been doing this for 30 years this month and I’m so glad to be near the end of my career rather than the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
06-08-2020, 01:11 PM
It makes no sense whatsoever. If you're a police Chief wouldn't you have to look at where funds were redirected and not patrol those areas? I think if they do, and I don't think they will, completely defund in MPLS it will turn into a "be careful what you wish for" really quickly.

Thumper
06-08-2020, 01:48 PM
I asked Lynn the same question this morning! (Actually, I was talking to myself, but she’s forced to listen to my rants and I don’t really expect an answer.) I’ve never heard so much b/s in my life and for the life of me, I don’t understand a bit of it. Just another example of Liberal thinking I suppose. It’s asinine.

johnboy
06-08-2020, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see a new 'movement' start - Defund the Politicians. Far to many useless political types at all levels of government (and why do we have so many levels of govt?) using their positions to further their own ideologically driven agendas with little or no thought as to how it will impact the people. Too much pay, perks, pensions and privilege to too many useless politicians. You want to clean house? Start at the top and work your way down.

airbud7
06-08-2020, 02:03 PM

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2020, 02:48 PM
There are lots of opinions about what it means. I’m not sure there is one definition of it. On face value, I don’t see anyone seriously advocating abolishing police or law and order.

Probably the best ideas I’ve see have to do with taking non-criminal responsibilities from the police. In a lot of towns, law enforcement has been a dumping ground for people society would just as soon become invisible. So we dump them into our criminal justice system. And when they come out however temporary that miht be, they are the products of being in that grinder. I’m talking about the homeless, the addicted, the mentally ill, and so on. We’ve actually made those things criminal and it feeds the monster.
I don’t have the answers to this, but I’ve felt for a long time we expect way too much for our police to be able to handle. And the criminal justice system does absolutely nothing to resolve any of the issues for the people I mentioned.

Anyways, thats what I think of when I think of defunding stuff the police do. But the funding will have to go somewhere.

BKB

airbud7
06-08-2020, 03:06 PM
I don’t see anyone seriously advocating abolishing police or law and order.

Minneapolis City Council announces veto-proof push to disband police in George Floyd aftermath

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-city-council-disband-police-george-floyd

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2020, 04:08 PM
I’m not going to exchange links with you, but I’ll discuss it if you like.

As for Minneapolis, we’ll see what they really do.

BKB

airbud7
06-08-2020, 05:44 PM
you can say that again!....:D

Thumper
06-08-2020, 07:42 PM
I gots some links I'll exchange with ya'! What'cha got?

Penguin
06-09-2020, 07:18 AM
Got to admit that I am a bit puzzled by what is meant as well. And to be honest there seems to be a lot of confusion by those who are proposing it. I mean defund means defund. But I've seen signs and heard people talking about abolishing the police as well. That can't be right...

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2020, 08:13 AM
It sounds like the political sides are lining up to make the FOP the bad guy in this. The bad guy is the system IMO. In Oklahoma we incarcerated generations of men and women from their families and jobs for stuff that we since have decided isn’t criminal after all. The cows will still be coming home from that era for a long time. Those people and their offspring will be wards of the state in some way whether its criminal justice system, welfare, or social services. I have a relative in Missouri who is a director of social services for the elderly in a fairly large county. Other agencies are constantly dumping non-elderly indigent people on her because they have no place to put them. Many end up in jails.

We don’t do so hot as a society in America with people who have nobody and cannot fend for themselves. Yep, there are lot of charities but if you go take a pick under a bridge near downtown (in Tulsa its the 21st St bridge over the Arkansas) you’ll find tent cities full of homeless.

We blame each others’ political systems for it, but both sides and been in power for long stretches and the homeless and poor don’t seem to have benefitted by either. I guess that’s why many people want to blow up some of these systems and start all over. That don’t mean it’ll happen.

BkB

airbud7
06-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Homeless?, what the hell homeless got to do with the looting, rioting, stealing and burning the city down?

it's a bunch of low-life pieces of shit and politicians want to bow down to their asses/ let all these rich politicians do without their security then we'll talk about doing away with the police.

johnboy
06-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Does anyone (or at least any thinking person) believe that what is happening now will improve race relations in any way? Seems to me that we have gone seriously backwards. Just this old white mans opinion so it won't be worth much.

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2020, 03:38 PM
My prediction is that we will all move forward in denial that there even is a problem, until a school shooting happens, then rinse, lather, repeat on that topic.

BKB

Buckrub
06-11-2020, 11:41 AM
The ironies of the Left's demands are hardly believable.

The US Flag is ok to kneel on, spit on, it means nothing. There is no meaning in the Flag so don't get upset if someone kneels at some silly song about it. However, the Confederate Flag means everything. Literally EVERYTHING.

Antifa's banners and flags that they carry say "No Borders". So, to prove their point, they cordon off a large area of a major city, declare it a Sovereign State, and put armed guards around it. If the Feds move in to take it back, they will be ridiculed from Sea to Shining Sea. But apparently we have no leaders, because if this act is not Insurrection, please define for me specifically what you think Insurrection is.

For two weeks, angry mobs have defaced and burned whatever they stand in front of. What I have seen is mobs of mostly white people looting minority businesses and then burning them down, in the name of eliminating Racism.

People across this country have acquiesced to the requirement to bow and kneel if they decide to call you a name...............Racist. That is the one thing that you won't abide. If you're called that, you will crumble. Doesn't matter if you are NOT one. Just matters that you are called that. If you say "ALL lives matter" or "Cops have done some good things", then you are fired from your job, ostracized from your community, and threatened with your life.

MLK said he wanted to see the day where a man was judged by the Content of His Character, and NOT the Color of His Skin. We got close to that earlier this year. We were almost 99% in agreement on Chauvin and Floyd. And now, they want to judge us solely on the color of our skin. Quotes are "If you are white, you are Racist and it is not in your ability to declare otherwise". This is called Blood Guilt. The descendants of Abraham..........of Isaac and Ishmael specifically, have been fighting Blood Guilt wars for 5,000 years. Now, we will be too.

Dialogue, that used to be requested, is now flatly denied. Obedience is the only requirement. Your opinion is deadly. Total buy-in is required. The names of "Taliban" and "Al-Queda" are already used, so they'll have to think up a new one.

As they say, you can't make this up. So glad I'm old.

Hombre
06-11-2020, 12:01 PM
You want an example of the left... In Seattle they are literally giving up the city, police have actually evacuated a precinct and 6 blocks are barricaded off. Our Governor was asked about it yesterday, now keep in mind its been all over the news and social media. His answer..... I can't comment on that I have no knowledge.... How in the hell does the largest city in your state have a police evacuation and you don't know about it?

HideHunter
06-12-2020, 09:03 AM
As they say, you can't make this up. So glad I'm old.

just told someone yesterday. I've seen the world going to hell for a number of years.. but thought I was "old" enough I could slide on out before it got unlivable.. I dunno.. it's snowballing pretty fast..

Buckrub
06-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Thump, it defies belief that you haven't commented on Bubba Wallace and NASCAR.

Thumper
06-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Thump, it defies belief that you haven't commented on Bubba Wallace and NASCAR.

Believe it or not, I started to yesterday after your post. BUT ... Lynn and I were out of town celebrating our 35th "anniversary" and I don't do well posting on my phone. I meant to come back today and mention that exact same subject on my p/c, but have been tied up with eBay all morning.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that. I've pretty much walked away from NASCAR the past couple years anyway for many reasons similar to this. They seem to have no loyalty to their base and life-long fans like me, but have started catering to the "younger" crowd. I no longer have time for their bullshit. It's simply another example of a long-time American tradition being shoved aside in the name of "political correctness".

Now, here's ol' Bubba (NASCAR's ONLY black driver) at the track with his "Black Lives Matter" car. There's also a pic of him standing for the National Anthem. Notice all the other drivers have their hand over their heart, yet Bubba does not. (at least he removed his cap) I guess you can say I've been a fan since before I was born. I "attended" my first race while still in my mom's belly and was being taken to the races since I was too young to remember. My God Father (Red Vogt) actually NAMED NASCAR! Fuck you NASCAR ...... and you can stick me with a fork, I'm done.

11630 11631

As a kid, growing up, I always looked forward to (and many times attending) the "Dixie 500" in Atlanta. Those memories will be forever with me, but these days (like this year) it's the "QuikTrip 500" ... sorry, I don't see any nostalgia brought on by that one. Here is a NASCAR program from the "good ol' days" ... before NASCAR became so "sensitive".

TBH, I've never owned or worn a Rebel Flag t-shirt, never had one on a bumper sticker, never had a Rebel flag front license plate and never owned a flag itself. It's just not my thing. I'll have to admit, the image usually brings to mind the term Red Neck, but that's my personal opinion and to each his own. BUT ... telling me I CANNOT have the image of that flag on anything I own, just rubs me the wrong way. NASCAR's press release says, "The display of the confederate flag will be prohibited from all NASCAR events and properties." Now, how the "F" are they going to enforce that? I guess if ol' Bo Duke showed up with the General Lee, they'd make him grind the paint off his roof before admitting him into the parking lot!

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2020, 12:53 PM
I just wanna remind you, Thumper that many years ago I made a post going off about NASCAR fining Junior for saying ‘shit’ on his car radio. You not only defending their ‘political correctness’ but insisted that it was time for the sport to grow up and for me to get over it. So make up your damn mind, Karen.

All that to say, I’m with you. I quit watching races about four years ago not because of their pc crap (which is really marketing crap not pc crap) but because they basically made it boring. Too many rules, to much ‘car of tomorrow’ bullshit, and too much pandering to the pop crowd.

So I really don’t think this flag thing is anything out of character for them considering what they’ve done the last ten years to fuck up a good thing.

bkb

Hombre
06-12-2020, 01:08 PM
I'm going to change my residence to the CHAZ zone here in Seattle. Since they are no longer part of the US I'm thinking no more federal taxes :D

DeputyDog
06-12-2020, 01:18 PM
I'm going to change my residence to the CHAZ zone here in Seattle. Since they are no longer part of the US I'm thinking no more federal taxes :D

So has the city stopped providing services to that area, like water, sewer, etc?

Hombre
06-12-2020, 01:28 PM
So has the city stopped providing services to that area, like water, sewer, etc?

They should but they won't..In fact the mayor called them patriots. I do think its hard to stop providing the above because you have a lot of people who live in that area that are not part of the movement.

Thumper
06-12-2020, 02:37 PM
I just wanna remind you, Thumper that many years ago I made a post going off about NASCAR fining Junior for saying ‘shit’ on his car radio. You not only defending their ‘political correctness’ but insisted that it was time for the sport to grow up and for me to get over it. So make up your damn mind, Karen.

All that to say, I’m with you. I quit watching races about four years ago not because of their pc crap (which is really marketing crap not pc crap) but because they basically made it boring. Too many rules, to much ‘car of tomorrow’ bullshit, and too much pandering to the pop crowd.

So I really don’t think this flag thing is anything out of character for them considering what they’ve done the last ten years to fuck up a good thing. bkb

P-hole, I don’t remember it, but it’s probably the stance I would have chosen a while back. But, I’ve always heard arguments about gun regulations from the NRA, I’d have no problem with petty restrictions that I thought were no big deal, but the threat was always perceived to be that the antis would just keep chipping away, a tiny bit at a time. I was wrong, the gun rights people were correct. It seems to be a pattern.

Same with NASCAR, little crap that seemed like no big deal at the time, went the same direction. A little here, a little there and next thing you know, we’re where we are today. It’s a shame, but I concede, give an inch and they’ll take a mile.

As for races, I’m with you and I probably haven’t watched 10 races in the last 4 years. IF I’m not doing anything else, I try to catch Daytona and Talladega, but I don’t bust my ass to do it.

I cry Uncle. I’ve pretty much thrown in the towel.

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Dirt track racing is still really popular here and I may take i. Some races when things get back to normal. (Insert fake laugh here).
Smoke is involved with out local sprint and midget circuits and usually participates in the Chili Bowl.

BKB

airbud7
06-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Love me some dirt track racing!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2046aa100eb10c80372acc0eea813fd2/tenor.gif?itemid=14021826

Buckrub
06-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Jim, I did not mean to provoke you nor to open a wound. I was simply serious that I was surprised that you had not commented on it. I guess I have not paid attention of your falling out with them prior to this. My bad.

Lots going on. Truth is.........years ago, I'd have gotten very, very mad. Now? Honestly, I'm just very sad. I just found Mama in the back room bawling, because she spent the day trying to keep from telling me about a dream she had last night about our grandson. I have them too. We just got her truck out of the shop, which we BARELY made it to.......$1,700 repair. Roof on Farm house was $7,000. The USA is no longer a real country in many places. On and on and on and on. Doc appointments, needed surgery postponements, like my NEEDED cataract surgery, because of the Bat Flu. Son tears his arm up and has surgery. Don't know if we can make Florida in January. Don't know if we can make Indiana in August.

It just never ends. Not saying all that for sympathy. Everyone has the same b/s happen to them every day, and everyone (that I know) has same feelings about the USA. Just saying that it just finally all adds up and it just makes me very sad. Makes my danged estrogen flare up.

I never did like NASCAR or car racing. But I never said a word about those who did.

Thumper
06-13-2020, 07:18 AM
No prob. Buckster, it's been a long, slow, transition and has been discussed here the past couple of years. Even Cappy (who lives in the middle of 90% of the NASCAR garages), has pretty much walked away from it. Silly rules, format changes, generic car bodies, cocky kid drivers, etc. etc. etc. has simply taken the "old school" fun out of it for me. It's just not the NASCAR I grew up with, so I'll leave it for the new generation who really doesn't know any better. I'll admit I hung on longer than maybe I should have. Looking back, I think I'd make excuses for the sport, maybe out of loyalty to an "old friend". I guess I finally ran out of excuses. Or maybe I'm officially an old curmudgeon now. Who knows?

That said, I simply find it easier these days to walk away from things that I loved at one time. I honestly thought walking away from hunting would be a major blow, but ya' know what? Once I did it (not my choice really, just forced upon me by life's changes), I don't miss it one bit. Do I have VERY fond hunting memories? Heck yeah, and they'll last forever, but it also freed up more time and money to do other things that maybe I didn't have the time and money for previously. Besides, getting up at 4:00 am to get to a stand and sit in a tree freezing my 'nads off just isn't that attractive to me any more. (not to mention MUCH more difficult physically) Besides, I had to sell all of my guns to pay bills. Odd, I really don't miss them either, but did keep a couple of carry guns.

Things change, I don't collect anything any more ... I SELL to collectors. It's MUCH more profitable. Heck, I remember the days when I swore I'd rather die than be caught driving a 4-door car, but have to admit, our SUV sure is comfortable (and much more practical) these days. ;)