PDA

View Full Version : Better late than never...Trip report

Bwana
06-10-2020, 03:07 PM
I want to start off with an apology as this post is not about politics, baseball, or Covid-19, 20, or 21, this is about hunting.

Long story short, I wasn't able to get access to the ranch I've been turkey hunting on for the past number of years so gave some public land a try but was only able to find a single hen on the first outing. Next try I tried to get some birds to shock gobble on public land but with nary a sound heard, so I took off down roads I've never been down before. Sadly the only turkeys I found were strolling through someone's farmstead.

I finally got access to The Ranch for Mother's Day weekend but ended up replacing the pilings on my back deck on Saturday. When I asked my missus what the plans were for Sunday, she told me that I was going turkey hunting. Now I ALMOST fell for a similar trap when my second child was born but even at that young of an age I was smart enough to decline her offer to allow me to go hunting as soon as the kid was born. That being said, being cooped up for so long and working my butt off got the better of my judgement, so I decided to go Sunday morning with the promise I would be home by noon so we could do whatever she wanted for Mother's Day.

Making this already long short story a bit longer, I shot a dandy gobbler a half-hour after sunrise, headed for home on some more new roads I have never been down, and was still home by 8:30 AM. For someone who is NEVER home early when hunting is involved, the missus was quite impressed. Win-Win!

Here is the results: 19# 14oz, 1.25" spurs, and my first two-bearded bird at 6" and 8.75"

BarryBobPosthole
06-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Great report! Great bird! And back home for breakfast! Great job Bwana!
BKB

Thumper
06-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Great report Bwana ... but don't we have a hunting forum? :toothy

Big Muddy
06-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Man, I love turkey hunting stories !!! :clap

Hombre
06-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Nice bird! Turkey hunting is the best. I love the anticipation as they come in gobbling.

Bwana
06-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Though I agree with you Hombre, I have been known to get impatient and go to them, if they aren't willing to come to me as was the case with this tom that was one of 4 gobblers dogging a single hen.