PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Senator: Hammers used in murders more often than guns

Niner
02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Well, finally some legiscritter said it. I believe the statistic is from the FBI. I just wish some of the legiscritters in DC would follow suit.
:usa2
http://www.times-herald.com/local/Georgia-Senator--Hammers-used-in-murders-more-often-than-guns

(Note: I'm not posting this to get the whole gun debate going again here. We all know where we stand. I just found it interesting that someone finally actually stated the fact.)

By Walter C. Jones
Morris News Service
ATLANTA – The national debate about gun control triggered by the mass shooting in a Connecticut elementary school took a new dimension Monday when a Georgia legislator announced that hammers and frying pans were involved in more murders than guns.

Sen. Bill Jackson, R-Augusta, addressed his colleagues during discussion of a mental-health bill that the sponsor said would do more to prevent mass shootings than gun control. Jackson picked up on that theme.

“More murders were committed last year with hammers than with shotguns, rifles or AK-47s,” he said.

He also mentioned a murder he read about where the victim was bludgeoned with a frying pan.

After the Senate passed the bill with his support, he said he doesn’t recall where he read the statistic about the frequency murder weapons.

“It might have even been twice as many,” he told a reporter. “I’ll try and come up with it.”

His point, he said, was that no one is worried about regulating hammers and frying pans.
“If they’re going to take the guns, let’s take the frying pans and the hammers,” he said. “It’s crazy. That frying pan wasn’t going to go and get up out of the kitchen and kill nobody, now, until that varmint got a hold of it.”

His colleague from a neighboring district, Democrat Hardie Davis, joked, “Thank goodness it wasn’t my wife.”
Jackson endured some friendly ribbing by other senators at a committee meeting later in the day. But his folksiness is generally appreciated.

Friday, he sang a gospel hymn to the whole Senate at the urging of Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle.
Davis, a minister in Augusta, was one of two senators who opposed the bill during debate. As a gun owner with a family member who struggled with mental illness, he said he was offended at the notion of an association between mental illness and murder.

“To talk about this in the context of gun legislation is unfair to those of us who are gun carriers,” he said.
The bill, Senate Bill 65, authorizes licensed counselors to order the involuntary commitment to a hospital for 72 hours in cases where a person is threatening to harm himself or others. It now goes to the House for consideration.

LJ3
02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
I noticed he failed to mention handguns in his quote. A tad on the misleading side, I think. Or maybe I'm just skeptical, entirely possible. Seems hard to believe to me.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Its that damned carpenters union! I knew they were a bunch of thugs!

BKB

LW
02-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I cant provide statistics and I dont know where the FBI statistics came from. I do have over 20 years of going to murder scenes under my belt. Usually handguns are the weapon involved. It would be difficult for some punk to walk into a crowd and kill 30 people with a hammer.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Jason Bourne could do it.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Jack Bauer would just bite their jugulars out...

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Jason Bourne would kick Jack Bauer's gay ass. And I think he could give Chuck Norris a run for his money too. Depends if there was any magazines around he could roll up and kill you with or ink pens he could stab you with.

BKB

Buckrub
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Blunt instruments kill more people than all rifles, including all AR's, which is what is being proposed for regulations, not handguns.

Handguns are used to kill more than blunt instruments.

Both of those statistics are meaningless to me. The only one that would matter to me is "How many guns of all kinds are used to kill innocent people?". In other words, rule out handguns where both guys have guns and are shooting at each other because of drugs, what color jacket they have on, or such. Guilty vs. Guilty numbers should NOT be used to make any regulation decisions. If you take that out, the number of homicides with guns is minuscule enough that all this talk is Barking at the Moon.