PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problem. Suggestions needed.......

Niner
02-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Been having a problem with the Firefox browser. When I am looking at a webpage that has a lot of content, the screen slows to a literal crawl. For example, a page here that has a lot of replys to it, or an eBay auction page with a bunch of listings. When I use the scrolly-thingie on the mouse or the up/down keys on the keyboard, the display just takes "forever" to scroll along.

However, if I look at the same page with IE, I do not have this problem. Until I tried IE I thought I might have somekindof memory, or video card issue. But now, I am pretty sure it is a Firefox issue.

Any of youse guys got any suggestions on what might be the problem. I'd rather not have to go back to using IE, as I like the Firefox browser a lot better.......but this pokeyness is getting to be a PINA.

jb
02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm having the same problem with ASK, thought about going back to Firefox but now I don'k know. Kids say to use Google Chrome, but just don't know.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Have you upgraded to the latest version of Firefox? I think I'd try that before I abandoned ship. I use Firefox and haven't seen the issue you're talking about though. sounds like something is corrupted.

BKB

Niner
02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
The browser claims to be up to date. I wonder if it is possible to do a reinstall? I think I'll look into that.

Niner
02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Well, I think I may have fixed it.

In the Help/Troubleshooting Information pulldown there is a "Reset Firefox" button.

After reading about it in the TS section, I clicked it and let it do it's thing. Seems to be working MUCH better now.....time will tell. I'll have to get the Mrs to give it the "acid test" when she gets home to see if it's just my imagination or not.

Buckrub
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Clear your cache more often, including all browsing history. I had the same problem with IE before I went to Firefox.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Niner, you might want to run a malware app too to see if somebody has snuck something in on ya. On my non-Apple machines, it is usually the biggest culprit.

BKB

Niner
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I run Malwarebytes about once a month....or whenever I think about it. Same with defragging. I also run AdAware, but Malwayrebytes is one of the bestest that I have found.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
They may just be having trouble with this release. I think my Firefox has crashed a couple times in the last week, but it recovered quick and I just went on about my business. I think it updated about a week ago too.
BKB

Buckrub
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm on 18.0.1.

What are you on?

Niner
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Same rev Bucky. I even tried reloading an older rev (4.x), but had the same sluggishness. I put 18 back on....even downloaded it again to ensure a "clean dowload". Same same. Then I stumbled upon the troubleshooting section as metioned above. That Reset Firefox really seems to have gotten it running good again.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm not on anything at the moment. But you just wait until five o.....wait, sorry I 'm on 18.0.2 it says. Like I said, I just got a refresh on it last week some time.
BKB

Buckrub
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Those must be moving west to east.

Big Boy
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
What is it that's "better" about FireFox? Other than it's not part of the BorgShip we call Microsoft? I'm not a power user by any stretch but I don't see anything in FireFox that's so much better that I can cope with the fact that it won't work on my corporate extranet nor with my online banking nor a couple of other things that annoy me.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I haven't had any issues with it, BigBoy. I like it just because its faster and doesn't pop up those annoying IE windows that you absolutely have to answer or it won't let you move forward. that, and they are are constantly improving it vs the random yearly updates from IE. I'm a fairly 'heavy' user and I like it a lot. If I couldn't load it on my company computer though I likely wouldn't use as everything else we have uses Safari.
BKB

Buckrub
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Since I answered this, Niner, I actually started to notice a slower response on some sites.

I went through the gyrations to download and install the latest version like Posthole did, 18.0.2, and I have to say it's noticeably faster.

Thumper
02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I just want to know what a "PINA" is. :confused:

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Pain In Niner's Ass.

You're welcome.

BKB

Niner
02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I've never been a big IE fan. I used Netscape back-in-the-day. If I remember correctly, it was a Mozilla product that kindof sortof morphed into Firefox.

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I think the first app I used on the internet was Webcrawler back in the mid 90's or so. You hadto know somebody in the company (my company) then to even get a license for it. I had a friend that was working mega OT and when I quizzed her about it she donfided in me that she was spending most of time searching the 'world wide web'. It sounded cool so I slimed my way into getting it downloaded to my machine and gothooked.

BKB