PDA

View Full Version : Towing help

Arty
07-25-2020, 02:56 PM
For anyone that knows anything about towing...
Need advice on how to level up this rig.
Severe and dangerous squat going on in the back of this
Maybe cause it’s a Toyota?
Maybe cause someone is pulling way more camper than they need? (Compensating for something most likely)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200725/eeffadbae140f97ef7b9209e91597db1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshine
07-25-2020, 02:59 PM

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2020, 03:47 PM
I can’t imagine how bad off it’s be if it was a Ford or a Chevy...

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2020, 04:52 PM
Is that a leveling jack I see not stowed on the right front? That’ll cause you to stub your toe!

BKB

johnboy
07-25-2020, 04:53 PM
Can you use your load leveler hitch to bring the rear of truck up? If not, airbags will help. Bet that trailer has a hitch weight around 800/1000 lbs.

airbud7
07-25-2020, 05:31 PM
Easy fix...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rnuK-3rIaTs/maxresdefault.jpg

Arty
07-25-2020, 07:30 PM
A Ford would have pulled that thing like a greasy string out of a cats ass.

Thumper
07-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Well, you can ditch the 'Yota and go Airbud's route if ya' want .... all you have to do is add an additional 10-15K to the price!

I ran airbags for years on most of my "hunting" vehicles and ... although they worked well and were great for most applications ... they COULD be a PITA and it seems the only time they're a problem is when you need them the most. Compressor problems ... wiring problems .... leaking air lines .... leaking fittings ... leaking bags ... broken brackets ... well, if it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong at the most inopportune time. Granted, many of my problems could be attributed to hauling a trailer off the paved highway, but still, after the newness wears off, things start happening. Of course, some will argue the point and YMMV.

I'd definitely opt for a quality WDH with sway control and if you want to really add to the package, get some Sumos or Timbrens. My buddy had a Tundra and he and his wife are BIG TIME into weekend camping trips ... and I mean 2-3 weekends/month! They have a humongous travel trailer and I'm drawing from his experience. He's a BMW Service Manager and they took in a trade that he bought for dealer cost (which was zilch). A retired couple had it set up to haul their travel trailer, but the dude had a stroke soon after he purchased it and just couldn't do the camping thing anymore. He decided he and his wife should have a nice car instead and took a bath on the trade-in for a Bimmer. So, although my buddy's never been a Ford fan, he couldn't pass up the deal and now owns a Diesel Ford F350 Dually. He says it's a bit of a pita due to it's size, but hauling is a whole different ballgame.

Anyway, he had no complaints with his Tundra once he got it set up correctly.

Oh, I'll edit with this note: If you go the WDH route, do your research. With some, you can't back up ... or backing is limited to short, straight-line backing ... especially with sway control. Just something to keep in mind as some set-ups will allow backing without having to disconnect parts of the system (unless you jackknife it!) ... kinda important when maneuvering into a tight space at a campground, etc.