PDA

View Full Version : Some tough news to share

Arty
07-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Earlier this morning we learned that our dear brother, friend, chief instigator, and the original member of the shit stirring club, Larke “Damn” Plyler, passed away.

I don’t have any more words right now that I can muster, and if I did they’d be insufficient.

Rest In Peace my brother. You will certainly be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2020, 12:52 PM
Larke had to be the most giving person I’ve ever known and I am proud to have called him my friend. Tight lines, Buddy.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 12:54 PM
The best.

BKB

Bwana
07-31-2020, 01:04 PM
OMG, I just saw this on FB...I am simply stunned!!

I've never met a more kind and giving person. You will be SADLY missed Friend!!

Thumper
07-31-2020, 01:09 PM
Larke was the very first “internet axe murderer” I met personally .... way back in the All Outdoors days. We became close, personal friends immediately. Larke never had a bad bone in his body and would do ANYTHING for a friend ... or anybody in need actually. I can’t imagine what it’ll be like not getting his calls anymore. I love ya’ buddy. RIP. :(

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2020, 01:17 PM
Last time I saw him a little over a year ago...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200731/1914e9511ca197f8e110261cbc6b79c6.jpg

Trav
07-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Terrible news, he was one of the good ones.

Sunshine
07-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Thump called me this morning, to let me know! :(
What a shock.

I’ve know Capt from the old sites and always had great respect for him.

Even though he and I went rounds a few times, I never thought of him as not my friend.
I’ve personally met him too.

I will build an obituary site for him, once more info and a link to his official obituary is available.

The only saving grace , in all this, is knowing Niner and the rest of our Goodhunting crew met him at the gates!!!

Rest In Peace my friend. :(

Arty
07-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Last time I saw him a little over a year ago...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200731/1914e9511ca197f8e110261cbc6b79c6.jpg

He had a good time at that meet and eat...

Thumper
07-31-2020, 01:34 PM
I’ve spent this morning contacting people and have handled the news pretty well, considering. I hadn’t told Lynn yet (she’s met him also). Well, as I was filling her in a few mins. ago, it all came crashing down and I turned into a blubbering fool. I just cracked and the water works started. There are so many things I wish I’d said to him and I’ll never have the chance now. I also worry about Cheryl. She’s got to be having a REALLY tough time with this. I’m sure gonna miss you Larke. Especially when you’d call to PLAN a bout of sd’ing on the site. Is sd’ing even allowed in Heaven?

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 01:36 PM
I’m sure if he had any questions about what happened Niner has already told him it was Bush’s fault!
BKB

quercus alba
07-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Aw man

the world just got a little less bright

Sunshine
07-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Thump when you get more info , if there will be a family funeral, let me and GH know. That way whoever can donate toward big nice flower arrangement, we can send you money.
For those that can’t physically be there, due to COVID restrictions or health issues, at least the flowers will represent all of us.

Once you have an official obituary, I’ll put together an Obituary link for him with the others.

LJ3
07-31-2020, 02:08 PM
I got nuttin’. Had a fishing trip lined up with him at the end of this month. He loves to share what he had with friends he knew and friends he never met.

Arty
07-31-2020, 02:12 PM
I got nuttin’. Had a fishing trip lined up with him at the end of this month. He loves to share what he had with friends he knew and friends he never met.

It’s ok...
he woulda “spanked your ass” anyway...
Ya slack ass!

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 02:14 PM

Bwana
07-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Though I have his cell, would somebody be willing to share his home address with me? PM it if that is most appropriate.

Thumper
07-31-2020, 02:27 PM
I doubt it'd be a problem posting it here, but for privacy concerns, I'll text it to you John.

Edit: I just noticed you asked to PM the address. Sorry, I sent a text to your cell.

johnboy
07-31-2020, 02:35 PM
Shock. Stunned.

Bwana
07-31-2020, 02:43 PM
Thanks Jim!

DeputyDog
07-31-2020, 02:57 PM
Though I have his cell, would somebody be willing to share his home address with me? PM it if that is most appropriate.

Please pass it on to me as well.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 03:03 PM
Guys, I think Cheri is going to post something about where to send flowers and such once the family has time to make arrangements. As this was a bolt out of the blue it might be a day or so before we know.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 03:04 PM
Guys, I think Cheri is going to post something about where to send flowers and such once the family has time to make arrangements. As this was a bolt out of the blue it might be a day or so before we know.
BKB

Thumper
07-31-2020, 03:21 PM
Yeah, it may be best to let the dust settle a bit until we find out what all is going on, but if anybody wants his address now, text me at 863-712-7291. If I know you, I'll respond.

FooBang
07-31-2020, 05:34 PM
Haven't poked my nose in here in a while, but I been following y'all who are on FB. Very tough news today. Can't believe it's true. Always fancied myself making my way down there to visit. Rest in peace, friend.

Big Muddy
07-31-2020, 05:57 PM
I just got home, and read this shocking news.....I am still just absolutely numb.
Larke called me about a week ago with some questions for me about his sunflower crop.
As usual, our conversation quickly morphed into fishing, hunting, and Mason events.
Day’um, I’m gonna miss that boy and his phone calls!!!

Sunshine
07-31-2020, 06:17 PM
I’ve started his Obituary thread
You all can add pictures, etc to it while I add to it, as I get info.

Arty
07-31-2020, 06:50 PM
I can’t shake the fact I talked to him yesterday and KNEW he didn’t sound good. He told me, “my lungs hurt, can’t get a breath”.

Weird thing is just 3 hours before that he was texting about giving me some of his banana trees next time i was there.

Wish I’d have told him then what a sorry ass fish counter he was.

RIP my friend. You’ll never ever in a million years be forgotten.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200731/336e229c6b8da89c4c11dafcfa71e90a.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 08:16 PM
Those who knew him well know he didn’t build all of those amazing deer stands, feeders, cut lanes, and made food plots all for him to hunt over. It was for everybody lucky enough to get in ited to come visit and you just have to know it tickled him whenever someone’s kid got their first deer there. Like Jamie said, he loved sharing the fruits of hos labor with others.

I don’t think I’ll ever meet another person who fishes as hard as Larke does. His cast count was prolly twice mine when we’d get together.

BKb

Thumper
07-31-2020, 08:26 PM
So, are you ever going to admit his bass was bigger than yours? And don't you feel guilty now since you never paid him his dollar?

I'm sorry ... it's just that it's been a really sucky day and I could use a little Cappy humor right now.

Arty
07-31-2020, 08:38 PM
Those who knew him well know he didn’t build all of those amazing deer stands, feeders, cut lanes, and made food plots all for him to hunt over. It was for everybody lucky enough to get in ited to come visit and you just have to know it tickled him whenever someone’s kid got their first deer there. Like Jamie said, he loved sharing the fruits of hos labor with others.

I don’t think I’ll ever meet another person who fishes as hard as Larke does. His cast count was prolly twice mine when we’d get together.

BKb

I told hank, Len and eric that for having tiny ass hands, he reeled fast as a MF! Finesse wasn’t is his vocabulary.
He was 2.2 casts to 1 when I fished with him. Usually 1.8 of his casts were in MY cone.....
While i was busy digging the tip of my rod out of a tree he ran my into...

hotshot
07-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Larke will be missed.
I have appreciated his actions from many years ago. My 9 yr old son found a bb gun in a ditch. He didn't touch it, but told a police officer.
Lark wrote him a letter and included a few tokens from his Sheriff campaign. That son is now a deputy and works with Deputydawg.
Rest easy Larke, and thank you.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2020, 09:15 PM
What a great story. Glad to see you check in Scott.

BKB

jb
07-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Thump, is the Good Hunting Crowd going to send flowers, and do you need some $$ to make it happen ?

Big Skyz
07-31-2020, 10:26 PM
Kribbs called this morning. I just sat there in a literal daze for an hour or two. From time to time wiping the tears from my eyes as I sifted through good memories of Larke. This one hit me hard as we had stayed in touch well over the years via phone calls and texts. His trip out to Montana with me is still one of my absolute favorite hunts. I’d just talked to him a little over a week ago. I sought out his advice for a concealed carry pistol for my daughter. As always he was generous with his knowledge. I respected it and appreciated it. I will miss him dearly and I hope i am a good enough man to see him on the other side some day.

Thumper
07-31-2020, 10:56 PM
Thump, is the Good Hunting Crowd going to send flowers, and do you need some $$ to make it happen ?

Yessir, I think that's a given and I seriously doubt anyone here would not support that. I have enough in the kitty to cover a spray (or bouquet) and delivery, but the bank will be pretty dry once the next round of site expenses comes up ... which will be a while as everything was just renewed in June. For the sake of transparency, we have $310.14 available at this point in time, so I (we) can cover this expense with no problem. I just need to wait and see what the family will be able to plan ... when, where, etc. Heck, I don't even know if N.C. is allowing funerals right now due to Covid. Some states do not.

LJ3
08-01-2020, 05:26 AM
Larke will be missed.
I have appreciated his actions from many years ago. My 9 yr old son found a bb gun in a ditch. He didn't touch it, but told a police officer.
Lark wrote him a letter and included a few tokens from his Sheriff campaign. That son is now a deputy and works with Deputydawg.
Rest easy Larke, and thank you.

Scott, social media is full of stories like yours. Larke going out of his way, helping good people.

Over the years I’ve heard him say many times “never pass up a chance to help good people”

I think that’s about as good a legacy as any of us could hope to leave.

We could all be a little more like Larke.

Sunshine
08-01-2020, 05:46 AM
LJ3
May I use his words of Wisdom:” Never pass up a chance to help good people!”
I’d like to put it on the Obituary page I’m working on, for him.

HideHunter
08-01-2020, 07:31 AM
well.... shit... we exchanged some packages and talked to him on the phone a couple times.. but never had the pleasure.. so sorry..

Penguin
08-01-2020, 10:55 AM
I'll be damned.

Larke was one in a million and it was a pleasure to have known him. A true southern gentleman in every sense of the word. Had no idea he was even ailing.

Will