PDA

View Full Version : While the rest of the world was arguing about politics

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
....there were some pretty exciting things happening here in my little town. I'm proud to live here and this makes me more proud.
BKB

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=708&articleid=20130213_29_B1_CUTLIN502311

OWASSO - Sometimes the world just isn't big enough.

Stitches strain. Buttons bend. Tiny cracks start to form around the edges. Everything swells, bulges for an almost imperceptible moment, and then, boom! Reality bursts at its seams.

Tuesday night at the Owasso High School gym, the world wasn't big enough for Nathan Mitcham.

It wasn't big enough for the moment he rose from the Rams' bench, walked to the scorer's table and stepped into a real basketball game for the first time in his 18 years.

And it most assuredly was not big enough when he caught a pass, spun, dribbled into the paint and launched an off-balance shot that clanged off the rim, off the glass and through the net.

"I didn't think I hit it," Nathan said.

Nathan did a little more than dress out.

Nathan Mitcham, the special needs senior at Owasso High School, the team manager who got the blessing of his coach and the backing of thousands of Twitter denizens last week with the hashtag #dressNathanout, stepped into Oklahoma high school basketball lore when he scored eight points in the final 3:23 of the Rams' 75-55 victory over Sand Springs.

"When that first shot went through, I thought I was gonna need a box of Kleenexes," said Owasso coach Mark Vancuren. "It was just an unbelievable amount of emotion that overcame me."

It was magic. It was electricity. It was fireworks, bound by a slow-burning fuse.

The gym's official capacity is around 1,400, but actual attendance might have been closer to 2,000. Folks were shoulder to shoulder for the junior varsity girls game - four hours before tipoff.

Local merchants handed out #dressNathanout T-shirts (with #rampower on the back). Banners hung from the rails.

Two hours prior, star point guard Jaylen Lowe arrived in the coaches office flustered that he had to park so far away.

It was Lowe who assisted on Nathan's two 3-point baskets.

Then again, it was Lowe who assisted on Nathan's big night.

Lowe, also a star quarterback who signed last week to play football at the University of Tulsa, launched the grassroots Twitter campaign. But it soon burst beyond the confines of Lowe's Owasso fame. Kevin Durant, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Johnny Manziel - soon enough, millions of Twitterers had seen their retweets.

It all culminated on Tuesday night.

"One thing that means so much to me is to see how much everybody has gotten behind it," Vancuren said. "The whole community is involved."

It did take a while - longer than everyone figured. The Rams crushed the Sandites 106-40 the last time they played, but this game was unexpectedly close. Owasso led 22-3 halfway through the first quarter, 30-11 at the start of the second quarter and 51-25 at halftime. But when Vancuren pulled his starters, Sand Springs started pressing and it was just 67-51 with five minutes left.

It was a big game for the No. 4-ranked Rams. Winning the season-finale against No. 6 Broken Arrow on Friday would give them the conference championship. So winning Tuesday had to be the first priority.

Still, the gym squirmed.

With five minutes left, a chant went up, "Put Nathan in!" At the 4:20 mark, another rose, louder: "NA-THAN! NA-THAN!"

When he stood up with 3:30 to play, the emotional dam burst.

Wearing his special Nike Zoom KD V shoes - a size 11, Thunder-blue and white gift from Sand Springs, stuffed in an orange Nike box signed by dozens of Sandites players and fans (Caleb Smith wrote, "If they don't fit, call me and we can fix that! PS, Get Buckets!") - Nathan launched a 3 from the left corner that just caught the rim. It was rebounded by John Cole Neph, who kicked it back out to Nathan at the top of the key.

He dribbled, twirled, stepped to the left elbow of the free throw line and elevated. His right leg kicked out, his left hand dropped, but the shot went through.

"I didn't know he had that in his game," Lowe said. "Nate's a baller, man. He's a baller."

The world was not big enough for the noise that ensued.

"I've never seen anything like that," Lowe said. "That was the loudest I've ever heard this gym. My ears were dying.

"I knew he was gonna score. I didn't know he was gonna do a little celebration dance, though. That was nice."

Nathan missed another 3 on his next trip down, but Lowe flew in and tossed it back out to him. This time, with 2:32 to play, it went in, and once again, the world was not big enough.

Really, you could see the cracks.

On the next trip, another 3, this one with 1:56. That was the topper. He made 3-of-8 shots for eight points in all.

When the clock expired, the OHS student body stampeded onto center court, where they raised Nathan on their shoulders.

Magic.

"How can you end it any better?" Vancuren said. "You talk about a storybook ending. When you have your own student body lift you up on their shoulders at midcourt, chanting your name, you can't write it any better than that. It was perfect for him."

Afterwards, perhaps a bit sore from hundreds of backslaps, Nathan met reporters, smiling, chattering in his staccato, talking basketball.

His parents marveled.

"He's just out there doing what he loves to do," said his mom, Linda. "He got to feel like he can play ball, no matter what his disability is."

Said his dad, Bob, "These are the kind of moments that dreams are made of. For special needs adults, to go through all he's gone through - and here he just passes the physical yesterday!

"He earned the right to be on the team," Bob Mitcham continued, "one, by just being himself, and two - um, the boy can hoop. I'm sorry. The boy can hoop."

Sand Springs coaches and players deserve a sportsmanship ribbon for giving Nathan room to have his moment. But his dad is right - the boy can hoop.

A half-hour later, outside the locker room, the energy was still palpable. The Oklahoma City Thunder will welcome Nathan and his teammates on April 17 for a game against the New York Knicks. The Thunder gave him an OKC jersey, too, and he also received a replica jersey of his favorite player, Kobe Bryant.

But the jersey he'll always cherish the most is cardinal and white, number "25."

"Thank you," Bob Mitcham said to Vancuren as Nathan posed for pictures nearby. "I'll never forget you."

Bwana
02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Damn allergies seem to be flaring up around here, my eyes seem to be leaking a bit.

That is simply AWESOME!!

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Kids really are good. They watch too many video games (we blew up too many of our OWN army men, I guess).........but they're good folks.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

HideHunter
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Pollen is bad here too this morning bwana.

Penguin
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Making memories and growing up. Good stuff Barry. Those kids will be retelling that story for the rest of their lives. :)

We had a guy who was kind of like that in my high school. He was the unfortunate victim of fetal alcohol syndrome. Mental retardation, small and not too strong, and all the rest that goes along with a severe case of that condition. He lived with a few other folks on the edge of making it in an old abandoned railroad depot. Running water but no water heaters. Walls with holes you could throw a housecat through. They burned coal in an old stove that they found somewhere.

Anyway old Johnny decided that he wanted to play football. He told the coach and he agreed to let him play on one condition: he had to shower every day. He didn't have access to heated water at home and didn't shower at all during the winters. Seldom at any other time. As it all turned out he dressed out for two years and was allowed into a couple games at the end of regulation. I run into him occasionally when I am back home and he still treasures the memory of being a football player and likes talking about the old days with one of his old teammates.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 12:14 PM
I had a friend I grew up with that was in the same boat. He had a severe case of measles, I think it was, when he was a kid (we were in third grade I think) and it took away a lot of his physical control of his arms and legs and facial muscles. But Freddie was still there and he went through school and graduated. The football team adopted Freddie and to this day he is still the equipment manager on the team.

When I go home and run into old school friends hardly any of them recognize me or me them, usually. Not Freddie. He always runs up and gives me a hug and says my name. I'll never forget Freddie. Its kind of like that deal Niner was talking about having an impact on people's lives. Character comes in all kinds of forms don't it?

BKB

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Here's the other side of the coin. We had a guy in High School named Stephen Crane. If you're out there, Stephen, I beg your forgiveness. We didn't treat Stephen bad, really. But he had one leg, and no way in 1960's to have a prosthetic. They lived in a run down house, that is out of the way, and oddly still standing. It flooded every time there was a big rain. It wasn't on the way to anywhere, but you can still see it from the freeway (which wasn't there, then). As I say, we didn't make fun of him, nor did we taunt him at all. But we never said "hi", and we ignored him. Shunned is the right word.

It's bothered me way more than I can say, all these years. Guess this is called confession.

I am very sorry, Stephen.

And I've tried to tell my kids and grandkids to always be good to the 'ugly' people. They don't get a break at school, don't get jobs, don't make it well. It's just a fact. Go out of your way to be nice to these folks. Maybe it will allow them to succeed, who knows.

Thumper
02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Well ... seems it's time for a "Thump story". ;) I went to school with a kid named Grant. He wasn't handicapped, but was shunned a bit by most students at school. He was the only guy I ever knew as a kid who lived in the "projects". To be honest, I didn't even know what "the projects" was, to me it was an area of old, nasty looking, apartment-looking places where poor people lived. I never knew anyone who actually lived in an apartment.

Anyway, I was a pretty close friend with Grant. He was a heck of a guy, but nobody ever took the time to get to know him. He wore secondhand clothes and NEVER hung around after school to play ball or anything. It was because he would rush home every day to help care for his mother and younger sisters. He'd help around the house and do any odd jobs he could to help the family ... but had no time to really "socialize" and nobody else ever took the time to be "nice" to him. Like Bucky's example ... kids weren't really mean to him ... they simply ignored him. Well I thought he was a great guy. I even put together a bicycle using old parts of various bikes and gave it to him ... it was his first bicycle ever and you'd have thought I'd given him a new Cadillac! Anyway, he did some work for an old guy in the neighborhood who had some bee hives. I can't remember why, but he needed to get rid of them and Grant ended up with them. From that point forward, all he talked about was his bees! He'd go to the library and check out every book available on bee-keeping and it got to the point I didn't see much of him anymore ... EVERY spare minute was spent with his bees.

We moved away from Florida when I was 15 (1967) and that was the last I saw him until I moved back 10 years later. I asked an old friend if he ever saw Grant around and he said, "no ... this time of year he's usually up in Wisconsin with his bees!" Huh? Turns out he got REALLY good at his bee keeping ... expanded his hives ... leased his bees out to the citrus growers here in Florida during the winter and would take his bees up north in the spring to make clover honey. He landed a contract supplying honey to Sue Bee (I think it was Sue Bee) ... bought a new house for his mom and sisters, built his own house and had a fleet of trucks to transport his bees around the country ... plus owned a house up north where he stayed the summer!

Seems ol' Grant turned those bees into a million dollar business! (that's my Thump rags-to-riches story).

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky, but most of the kids I know are way more talented, hard working and caring than my generation.