PDA

View Full Version : Just suppose

quercus alba
09-03-2020, 01:04 PM
that Covid turns out to be like the flu and mutates into a different strain every year or even like a cold and we never find a cure. What if we can't develop an immunity to it? How long are people going to hide under their beds waiting for the government to take care of everything for them? How long care the economy afford to? Deficit spending can only go so far.

I understand at first it was unknown thus the fear but we're starting to see that it's just not as dangerous as we were led to believe. I understand that people die from it but people die from the flu, pneumonia, bee stings and a thousand other things. I still use hand sanitizer and wear a mask in public places but hiding in the closet isn't living and I don't intend to spend my remaining hours/days/years like that. 2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. I believe this and I'm going to live like it. The grim reaper will find me one day but it won't be trembling under my bed. I'll be :pissed if he comes while I'm standing in line at Walmart.

If a vaccine is developed how will you feel about mandatory vaccination?

Big Skyz
09-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Ummm, by the fact that it is Covid-19 signifies there have been 18 previous variations if I'm not mistaken. So...

Thumper
09-03-2020, 06:04 PM
We do the mask thing, social distancing and go through gallons of hand sanitizer, but we're pretty much living our lives as normally as possible. Many things are closed and we miss them, such as quite a few restaurants we'd like to visit. We used to hit the movie theater probably once per month, but they're just now opening back up, so it's been a while. We normally do cruises once a year (twice last year I think), but we are avoiding them for now. Same with flying ... we do a couple weeks in L.A. every year to visit Lynn's family, but cancelled our booked flight scheduled for last May and really don't know when we'll fly again. BUT ... we've been out of town for the past few weekends (skipped one due to the hurricane) and actually have every weekend from now until the end of the year booked in various cities, believe it or not. This weekend we're just spending the weekend in Orlando, but at least we're not cooped up in the house and will be out doing whatever we can find to do. We love to travel and have made a major adjustment, but we refuse to sit at home with our thumbs up our asses.

We're both in our 60's (her early 60's, me late 60's) so we're careful ... but we're not letting it run/ruin our lives ... although I suppose there's a possibility it could TAKE our lives (knock on wood). Then again, when I was young and super crazy, I never thought I'd live past 30 anydamnway, so I'm already on borrowed time.

LJ3
09-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Ummm, by the fact that it is Covid-19 signifies there have been 18 previous variations if I'm not mistaken. So...

The "19" designation is because it was discovered in 2019. There's an interesting show on Netflix about pandemics that teaches the basics. This one ain't shit compared to what we KNOW is already out there, just not yet taken hold.

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Everyone is suddenly an expert on virsuses. Have an explanation of the heart imflammation, myocardia, that’s occurring in about a third of the atheletes that contract the virus. The flu do that too?

I’m not expert enough like y’all to craft my own medical plan through this so I will follow my doc’s and the vast majority of other real docs and stay covered up and as distanced as I can when I have to go out in public. And that isn’t hiding under my bed either. Whatever the chances are of dying alone on a ventilator saying last words to loved ones on an ipad, the upside of pretending this shit ain’t real isn’t worth the risk.

But I’m not saying y’all or wrong. You be you, I’ll be me.

BKB

quercus alba
09-03-2020, 09:56 PM
That’s the thing Posty, for every doctor that says yes there’s two that says no. It doesn’t take a degree in epidemiology to understand that Covid doesn’t kill at the rate once thought and it may very well cause complications elsewhere. But so does second hand smoke, drinking, drugs, cholesterol, various chemicals and a hundred other things but we keep on keeping on.

I guess the question I’m asking is what if this is as good as it’s going to get? What happens then?

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2020, 10:17 PM
I do think we’ll have improving treatments and vaccinations and as our understanding improves so will our options. And I do think we’ll get back to normal much the way it was. I also think the way some businesses do business has permanently changed, like restaurants depending soley on tables to succeed. Many around my town have figured out ways to make it work. But I’m no scientist" The one thing I agree 100% with Joe Biden on is that we will never get back to normal until we can manage this virus in some way. To do it in the absence of that management is just denial. And lunacy, IMO. If that’s hiding under the bed sobeit.

BKB

Thumper
09-03-2020, 10:45 PM
I can no longer even FIT under the bed. :crybaby

Arty
09-03-2020, 11:00 PM
I do think we’ll have improving treatments and vaccinations and as our understanding improves so will our options. And I do think we’ll get back to normal much the way it was. I also think the way some businesses do business has permanently changed, like restaurants depending soley on tables to succeed. Many around my town have figured out ways to make it work. But I’m no scientist" The one thing I agree 100% with Joe Biden on is that we will never get back to normal until we can manage this virus in some way. To do it in the absence of that management is just denial. And lunacy, IMO. If that’s hiding under the bed sobeit.

BKB

The reason the restaurants in your town are making it work is because they have been given money through CARES act, not because they have figured out a magical way around table count. Table count is king for any restaurant.
They are struggling. Many have closed. Many will never reopen. Some are still open, but won’t be for long. And this is just restaurants... doesn’t include millions of other small businesses.

I’m also still waiting on Biden’s plan to “manage this virus.” Big words. Sounds awesome. Also sounds a lot like a clanging cymbal.
I lost my job of 18 years because of this virus, so, I’m all ears. Lay it on me, Joe! Tell me! Please!

YET, I’ve not heard one viable thing he’s said that makes me think he would manage it any different. Except shut more stuff down (which I think he retracted a few days later).
“Trump effed it up” is about the best they can do. No facts, no background, just pontificating.
And unless uncle joe is working on the vaccine in his basement.... he won’t get my vote. If he was... he probably would.

Whether it’s political, or whether is shear blind honest ignorance of trying to figure out a truly novel virus.... there is not one solid theme in all of this. Prove me wrong.

That includes linear themes from the Dems, GOP, CDC, NRA, NSA, NASA, TFH, and the TFCH.

To completely turn a blind eye to the fact that there is a terd somewhere deep down in the punch bowl, in my opinion, is narrow sighted.

To completely turn a blind eye to this being real.... probably worse. Maybe. Not sure.

I don’t know whose terd it is. But it bet it smells like Chinese food. The real Chinese food. Since it came from China.

Either way, I bet it ‘goes away’ before rifle season.

Can’t type anymore right now. My mask is making me overheat. Need to retreat back under my bed where I’m safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
09-04-2020, 08:17 AM
You're absolutely correct about table count keeping a restaurant thriving. Eateries have one of the smallest profit margins of any small business. They're very susceptible to the slightest disruption in supply chains and front of house changes (asses in seats). You are also absolutely correct that the State is what's keeping them alive right now. Heck, as long as the state is what's keeping them alive they may as well own a piece of the business... Heeeeey, wait a second!

The biggest component of this pandemic is political. If we can't see that, we don't want to see it. It's right the fuck there in plain sight.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2020, 08:25 AM
I’ve never been in the restaurant business, but the CARES money is long gone and restaurants here moght not be thriving but they’re doing a brisk business with deliveries, carryout, and reduced seating. And some places are acting like nothing is going on and we’re still triple the number of new daily cases we were at the end of June.
I’m not saying there aren’t problems for eating places. But many are figuring out how to make it. I’ll tell them you said that was impossible though and to quit trying.
BKB

DeputyDog
09-04-2020, 08:57 AM
I live in a small community and most of the restaurants that aren’t pizza or Chinese places didn’t have any delivery service prior to the pandemic and still don’t. I guess restaurants in areas where Uber eats or other delivery services are in place are doing ok but not here, especially the smaller places that had limited seating to begin with. Those are the places that are hurting.

I’ve talked to a couple people that I know who are franchise owners of a fast food chain and they are doing better with just drive thru service than before. The reason why, they have lower costs because they don’t have to have as many employees working and don’t have do any dining room clean up. So while the restaurant is doing ok, people have either had their hours drastically cut or lost their jobs.

I talked to another guy I know just last night. He owns a food service company that specializes in dairy products. He is really worried about Fall and Winter once the ice cream places close for the season. With the decreased restaurant business he’s not sure how they will make out. They barely made it through the Spring with the schools being closed on top of the restaurants.

I do believe that this is a real thing and is fatal to in some cases.

The thing is, when do we decide that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, to put it in Star Trek terms? I just saw where the Congressional Budget Office said that the budget deficit is currently at 98% of GDP and is projected to be at 104% next year. How long can that go on before the US becomes just another second rate country?

Thumper
09-04-2020, 08:59 AM
Well, while you guys solve this, the car is loaded and we're off to Orlando for a few days. See ya'! Wouldn't wanna be ya'! (should that be in Airbud's thread?) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2020, 09:07 AM
DD I thought that decision had already been made. Didn’t 400,000 decide riding their motorcycles to Sturgis was more important than the few? Public schools and universities are open here and football games are going to be played this coming weekend. We’ve already had Friday night football.
In case you missed it, places that are closing aren’t doing it because someone told them to. They’re closing be ause people are getting sick. Our public schools made it about a week open and they’re closing all over the place because of the number of cases. Universities are another matter. They are closing about as fast as they open for in person instruction.
Or are you advocating we don’t give these businesses and schools the right to make their own decisions?
I’m not sure I understand what y’all are complaining about. There’s no closing mandate in Oklahoma. Churches are churching and barsare serving and people are dying, because you know, they have needs. The economy added 1.4M jobs last month.
BKB

Buckrub
09-05-2020, 11:09 AM
The CDC, that bastion of Experts that Liberals have loved for years, just came out and quietly said that their counting methods have been incorrect and that now, COVID has so far killed a total of 9,318 people. So we have a virus that has affected less than 1% of the population, and killed less than .04%, and it has shut down our world. Reynolds ain't made enough tin foil to make all those hats. If anyone thinks that life is back to normal, they are still under the bed apparently. Restrictions are everywhere, and nowhere worse than in schools. Our kids need school, NOT VIRTUAL LEARNING. I have a grandson that was an A student and now he hates 'school', can't see his friends, has no sports to play at all, and is really having troubles. His Mama says all his friends are about the same. It's sad.

quercus alba
09-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Big Muddy
09-05-2020, 11:55 AM
In my neck of the woods, everybody who owns an eating establishment, has either reverted to limited seating or carry-outs, and their business is flourishing.....some are even doing better than before the pandemic.....on Fri. and Sat. nights, it's a madhouse, trying to find a place to park.....the mom and pop cafes with carry-outs will load up your carry-out trays until the top will barely close because they want you to come back.....Sunday lunches are especially plentiful and delicious.

quercus alba
09-05-2020, 12:29 PM
now Eddie, we don't want any facts to get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, I thought we'd raised you better than that

airbud7
09-05-2020, 02:05 PM
I was gonna go looting and rioting this weekend but the wife got me smoking a big Boston butt instead....Grrrrr!

:D

Buckrub
09-05-2020, 04:04 PM
In my neck of the woods, everybody who owns an eating establishment, has either reverted to limited seating or carry-outs, and their business is flourishing.....some are even doing better than before the pandemic.....on Fri. and Sat. nights, it's a madhouse, trying to find a place to park.....the mom and pop cafes with carry-outs will load up your carry-out trays until the top will barely close because they want you to come back.....Sunday lunches are especially plentiful and delicious.

I need to move.

So, are the kids in actual school there?

DeputyDog
09-05-2020, 08:28 PM
My kids are going to actual school. They had the option for virtual for the first 9 weeks or the entire year instead of actually going.

Buckrub
09-05-2020, 08:32 PM
My kids are going to actual school. They had the option for virtual for the first 9 weeks or the entire year instead of actually going.

But not every kid is in actual school, are they? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying for one second any statement that says things are great and back to normal and we're all doing great with all this, and that congregating is going to kill us, and all that. I ain't buying it. It's bad for all of us, and it needs to stop. But disagree if you want.

DeputyDog
09-05-2020, 08:39 PM
By no means do I think things are normal or hunky dory. There are more kids in school than going virtually here at least. We are still at a 25-50% restaurant capacity and masks are supposed to worn in public.

Big Muddy
09-06-2020, 10:20 AM
I need to move.

So, are the kids in actual school there?

Yep, our grands are both attending college.....they actually attend some of the smaller classroom classes, and the other classes are online because the class size is so large.....all of our high schools are up and running, too, but are under strict covid observation and procedures.

BarryBobPosthole
09-06-2020, 10:27 AM
I sure hope that schools can find a way, like many businesses have, to educate our kids and in a way so that they have all of the experiences that are much a part of school as book learning. We’ve not had the best of starts here in Oklahoma but they are busting their asses to try.

The other sad part is public schools have become the enemy to some groups, as part of the politics of the day. Online charter enrollment is through the roof here and they take dollars from public education the way our funding is set up here. We’re going to have a new paradigm for education whether we like it or not it looks like. Maybe its time, I’m no expert. But I’ve alwaysfelt my public education helped me along in life.

BKB