PDA

View Full Version : 09/11

Buckrub
09-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Pretty Sad. Not a word here.

19 years.

I'll not be forgetting. The day "some people did something".

Big change coming.

Arty
09-11-2020, 05:50 PM
I posted a memorial pic on my Facebook page :)

The children born on that day will be voting in November
Hard to believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
09-11-2020, 05:50 PM
As you well remember, we were up in Canada fishing with Johnboy and TW ... to return home on 9/10. I had a redeye out of Canuckia and got home in the early morning hours of 9/11. I missed being stranded in Canada by a matter of a few hours when they grounded all aircraft and closed the borders. I'm not sure how long Marg would have put up with me forgetting to take my shoes off before walking across her new kitchen linoleum. :huh

I had not scheduled any work for 9/11 because I needed a couple days to unwind, so I ended up glued to the tv. I was so pissed off, all I could think about was wanting to go over there and kill me some f'ing ragheads. On 9/12 or 9/13 I actually went down to talk to a recruiter (seriously) about re-enlisting in the military. I was then informed I was too old! (49) :banghead

Buckrub
09-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah. I've told that story about ninety elebbenty times. I got home to Little Rock at about 10:35 pm. It was about 99 degrees. High that day was like 111, I think.

If I remember, the flight to the United Hub in Minneapolis for you, Bob, not sure who all...........had the raghead sweating and walking up and down the aisle. And I remember teasing Terry for years afterwards because they came on the loudspeaker and said we could NOT carry on anything sharp, not even fishing lures. So I left him my best needle nose. I spent years afterwards teasing him that he stole it and I was going to come get it. I dang sure wish I had done just that!!

But that kind of thing had never occurred before. We took whatever we wanted on board carryon on the way up. They KNEW something! I still believe that. Not sure if they knew details, pretty sure they didn't. But they were nervous. Just like that lead crystal vase thing you took for Marg for a gift. They ran it through the scanner and gave you fits for some reason, IIRC.

But yeah, we almost spent months and months in Canuckia.

My daughter lived in Ohio then, and was at my house with the two girls, and pregnant with the last one...........the one we lost this past April. She had a flight that afternoon to go home. No flight, of course. So they 'lived' with us for weeks. Finally her husband rented a car in Ohio and drove down to get her. Their car wouldn't make the trip.

I wanted to play Cowboys and Muslims for many years after that. Omar the Snitmaker and Rashida Talaibadanna sorta make me want to still do that. Too old to care who cares any more.

I do remember how pleasant it was on Terry's deck, sun going down about 11 pm, wind in that big cedar..........72 degrees...........good times.

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Living just a couple of miles from the Pentagon, I know 3 people fairly well who were first responders. One became permanently disabled from PTSD. The other two will never be quite the same. The strangest thing I remember about that day is what an beautiful sky blue day it was.

Arty
09-11-2020, 09:07 PM
My father-in-law was working two different contracts back then. He’d spend a week managing a team out in Ashburn, and a week in Arlington. AT the pentagon.
Took hours to hear from him, my mother-in-law wasn’t sure which week he was on that day. No cell phone, so we didn’t know until he got home that night after midnight. He was working in Ashburn.

The most surreal memory of that day and the days after was the massive run on American flags. Stores were literally giving them away. Literally. Come in and get one.
Newspapers centerfold were an American flag that you could tape up in your window.

I got a flag from tractor supply (pretty sure that’s where) the next day and I was tying it up on the mailbox. At the time we lived in a rural area, mailbox was right on the county road.
In the middle of me strapping a makeshift flagpole to strap on the side of the mailbox a sheriffs car was approaching, going 70 in a 55 like Most of them do. When he saw what I was doing and saw the flag, he slammed his brakes, and gave a salute as he slowly rolled past.

I was already tender in my feels, and that made me cry.

Be pretty cool if we could congregate around the flag like that again, but I don’t think it should take an act of war to do it.

Thumper
09-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Bucky ... I made a few trips up there and get them mixed up and forget who was there and when. Who was on that particular trip? You, Dave Estensen (The Supreme Dufus), P-hole and myself ??? (plus TW and Johnboy of course). I remember going to Minneapolis on the way up, but not sure which route I took coming back.

Bwana
09-14-2020, 08:53 AM
I too remember the day, I was on my way to take my son to pre-school and remember reports coming over the radio about a plane crashing into the first tower and wondering how such a mistake could have been made. I was back to the office and saw on live TV when the second tower was hit...

Thumper
09-14-2020, 09:47 AM
There may be more that don't come to mind right now, but the events permanently etched into my memory are:

1) I remember as a kid in school (I was 10-years old), the whole school went out on the playground to watch John Glenn blast off to become the first American astronaut to orbit the earth.

2) I remember lessons on TV in classrooms was going through the experimental stage. We were watching a class on "Conversational Spanish" when they interrupted the programming to announce JFK had been shot. There was wall-to-wall coverage for days after that and I remember sitting on the sofa with my dad watching the LIVE coverage when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald. We looked at each other wide-eyed like we wanted confirmation we'd actually seen what we "thought" we saw! (I was 11-years old.)

3) I remember we were visiting my grandparents during summer vacation when we launched a rocket to the moon. That night, the whole family was glued to the television as Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon's surface. My grandmother, until her dying day, swore it was "trick photography". (I was 17 years old)

4) Of course, I've witnessed many other things since that time, but actually watching the 9/11 coverage and seeing the second plane hit the WTC on live TV is the fourth major thing (along with all the ensuing coverage) that comes to mind. (I was 49-years old)

All of the above are things that I can tell you EXACTLY where I was, who I was with and what I was doing at the time it happened.

Bwana
09-14-2020, 02:25 PM
The other ones for me Thumper as I am a WEE bit younger are:
- The day when Elvis died as I recall how hard my mother took it as she was a big fan
- The space shuttle challenger explosion
- When Princess Diana was killed in the care accident (not sure why but I do)

Arty
09-14-2020, 03:12 PM
- The day when Elvis died as I recall how hard my mother took it as she was a big fan

Elvis died the year I was born, but the other two you mention are on my list as well.

Thumper
09-14-2020, 03:18 PM

Yep, those too Bwana.

Elvis, my wife and I had moved back to Orlando (from L.A.) to take care of my grandmother's house. She had been put into a nursing home and people were breaking into the (antiques filled) house. I was in my grandparents old bed listening to the radio when the announcement was made about his death.

It's odd, I remember the Challenger blowing up, but don't remember the details of where I was, who I was with or what I was doing at the time. Now Columbia was a different story. I was out on our pool deck waiting for it to fly over the house on it's way to a landing at the Cape. It never showed. I had no idea what had happened until I went back in the house and saw it on the news.

Yessir, Diana was another one. I was at a buddy's house in Georgia to help him work on some deer stands. There was a clock radio in his guest room and Lynn and I had just gone to bed when the news of the crash came over the radio.

Funny how some things get emblazoned forever into your mind, but you have a hard time remembering what you had for breakfast.

BarryBobPosthole
09-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Elvis died on my birthday in 1977 so I remember that one.

I was in Mrs Vineyard’s 4th grade home room class on Nov 22, 1963. She came into class with a portable tv bawling her eyes out and when we finally got the rabbit ears (remember those?) adjusted we all watched it the rest of the day and most of the remaining week.

I was at work at MCI on Jan 28, 1986 and we were all gathered in the break room watching. Which is what we did when stuff launched in those days.

I was at work at WilTel on April 19, 1995 when news broke and a bunch of us left work to go donate blood. The line was two blocks long.

BKB

Penguin
09-15-2020, 08:37 AM
I know it is odd... crazy even. But you know what my most vivid moment of 9/11 was? I remember listening to morning radio (as usual) and when they said a plane had hit the towers I got cleaned up and biked into my lab in Madison WI where I was in school at the time. A stranger yelled to me as I biked past that another plane had hit the second tower.

I was on a forum trying to get news and one of the members posted that one of the towers had fallen. I remember writing that it must have killed a passle of folks and crushed a lot of other buildings because of its height. She explained that it didn't topple over it just kind of fell into itself. I was very confused. I just couldn't picture in my mind how that would look. I ended up leaving school and going back home to see it on TV.

I guess you just had to see it to understand it.

Will

quercus alba
09-15-2020, 10:06 AM
I didn't even realize it had passed me by. I have zero faith in anything that comes over the agenda driven lies that passes for news these days. There's more truth in Facebook memes. I don't watch any news unless I'm made aware of some major happening. People ask me what I think about this or that and I say I have no opinion because I don't have any clue what you're talking about. I used to depend on Cappy and Posthole to keep me informed..........looks like Posty is gonna have to double up

Life is pleasant here in the south side of Oblivious Arkansas

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2020, 10:43 AM
Don’t depend on me! I might editorialize too much. I’d definitely use subliminal techniques invisible to the normal human eye (Captain Bone Spurs).

BKB

BKB

Thumper
09-15-2020, 11:48 AM
Don't depend on P-hole's reporting ... with his political leanings, you KNOW it would all be fake news! ;)