PDA

View Full Version : This pisses me off

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I may just stop watching this nonsense altogether if all its going to be is beach volleyball and trick skiing or snowboarding. this is ridiculous.
BKB

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=714&articleid=20130213_29_B1_CUTLIN209270

Related Story: Oklahoma wrestling community stunned by decision to drop sport from Olympics
Rulon Gardner's epic upset of Russian wrestling great Alexander Karelin in 2000 remains one of the most compelling moments of the modern Olympics.

Starting in 2020, youngsters looking to Gardner and Karelin for inspiration won't have a chance to excel on the sport's biggest stage.

Gardner and nearly everyone else associated with the sport in the U.S. were jolted Tuesday when International Olympic Committee leaders dropped wrestling from the Summer Games.

The move is set to take effect for the 2020 Olympics and eliminates a sport that has been a staple of both the ancient and modern games.

"It's the IOC trying to change the Olympics to make it more mainstream and more viewer-friendly instead of sticking to what they founded the Olympics on, and that was basically amateur sports," Gardner told The Associated Press by phone from Logan, Utah. "To get the death penalty out of nowhere."

The decision by the IOC to phase out wrestling will leave the U.S. without one of its most successful Olympic sports.

The only sports in which the Americans have won more medals than wrestling are swimming and track and field - and those two have far more medal opportunities.

Americans have won a record 113 freestyle Olympic medals, by far the most of any nation. Although the U.S. had slipped in recent Olympic cycles, it bounced back with a pair of London Games gold medalists in Jordan Burroughs - possibly the best wrestler in the world - and Jake Varner.

"I do think wrestling people are the strongest in the world, and they're resilient. And we'll come out of whatever happens. But short term, yeah, it's sad," 2004 Olympic gold medalist and Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said.

"I just think of the kids in our program that dream of being Olympic champions. And to think that now that's no longer an opportunity just so the IOC stay fresh and continue to rotate sports and whatever their plan is - it's tough to think about."

Wrestling is also one of the most popular youth sports in the U.S. The National Federation of State High School Associations reports that the sport was sixth among prep boys with nearly 275,000 competing in 2010-11.

"Wrestling is the Olympics. It's the toughest, most grueling, most demanding and most humbling sport there is. It teaches you so many life lessons," said Jake Herbert, who wrestled for the U.S. in the London Games.

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

USA Wrestling executive director Richard Bender calls his sport "one of the most diverse," with nearly 200 nations from all continents participating.

"It is an inclusive sport which provides opportunities worldwide, regardless of geography, race, gender or physical characteristics," he said. "We look forward to telling the story about wrestling to the International Committee leadership and the entire world about our great sport and why it should be part of the Olympic movement forever."

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020. The final vote will be in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

"Given the history and tradition of wrestling, and its popularity and universality, we were surprised when the decision was announced," U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun said.

Rejoining the Olympic roster for 2020 seems unlikely. Still, former Olympic champion and current Iowa coach Tom Brands said the international wrestling community needs to fight this ouster.

Thumper
02-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Reminds me of when "stock car racing" went from "stock" cars to ... well, whatever they are these days. :(

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Heard this yesterday. Thumbs down to the IOC.

Synchronized Swimming OK. Wrestling Not.

Ought to tell ya something.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Rasslin' ought to have its own damned olympics then.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe if bit was chicks in swimming suits doing the rasslin'...

johnboy
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
The modern Olympics is all about money, not sport. They are spending 50 BILLION $$ on the Sochi Winter Games, that's Billion with a B! It's ridiculous (ridiculos?). Think of all the corruption involved and how much will be skimmed off the top. Big Business.

It all started going downhill when they brought in 'sports' that had 'artistic impression' in the scoring parameters. What nonsense.

I wish we would see a trend of countries just not going.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
its ridongculous. I don't know how many respectable women I've heard who use 'ridongculous' not realizing that they've just subsituted the word 'dong' for 'dick'. Makes me smirk. then they wonder why I smirk. then I'm in trouble.

I get that a lot for some reason.

BKB

Big Muddy
02-13-2013, 02:50 PM
What's the name of the sport where the little gymnist-type girls twirl the little ribbons around on sticks???....if it's an event, it's silly as h3ll, and really sucks....they musta invented it so someone's little daughter or niece could compete in some event, because she otherwise couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. ;)

Found it....I guess it's just called "ribbon twirling"....h3ll, Bucky could do that....he might not be able to walk the next day, but I can see him doing it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Q9-zwiZd8

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I can't ever walk the next day, no matter what I did.

LJ3
02-13-2013, 03:20 PM
part of me sees value in keeping rasslin around. Part of me thinks a change of sports played at Olympics should be expected over the course of century or several.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Stop listening to your female side then.

BKB

Thumper
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm kinda with The Lenster ... I could care less really, but 'rasslin' has been around since 700-800BC. I think it's time for change ... otherwise, why don't we still have chariot races? 'Course all participants in the Athens Olympics performed in the nude (wimmins weren't allowed to watch) ... not so sure I'd want to see that either ... so maybe change ain't really all that bad!

BUT then again ... on a different note ... in Sparta (which wasn't quite as "stuffy" as Athens) ... the men AND wimmins performed nekkid! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
That would make it tougher on the East German wimmins wouldn't it?

and bite me. Rasslin' is a sport. More of a sport than a lot of the snowboarding and crap they have on there.
BKB

Thumper
02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Curmudgeon!

Bwana
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Unlike some of the events making it to the Olympics, wrestling is still a sport that many schools around the country compete in. Don't recall the last time I saw a high school with sink-ron-eyesed swimming as a sport you could letter in.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Guilty!

BKB

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Color me with Posthole on this one.

Thumper
02-13-2013, 06:33 PM
That's easy! TWO old curmudgeons! :D

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
It's nice to at least have some company, every once in a while.

I never did know..........is being one of those bad or not???? I can't even pronounce it.

TeeDub
02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
While I'm not especially a rasslin fan, I'm with Eddie. I'd much sooner watch a sweaty rasslin match and the strength and skill involved, a whole hell of a lot more than some little gal twirling a ribbon. Beach basket ball however, is a whole 'nuther story.

Niner
02-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Well, I quit watching when they stopped showing ANY shooting events on the TV. Even though we were bringing home the gold!!!

They need to keep wrassslin in the mix and loose some of those volley ball or swim-dancing crap.

We went to some of the events when the olympics were in Atlana. One of them was the archery shoot. For some reason they had a camera directly in the middle of the bullseye. One of the shooters shot the camera on the afternoon we were there.

Iw

Thumper
02-14-2013, 05:33 AM
While I'm not especially a rasslin fan, I'm with Eddie. I'd much sooner watch a sweaty rasslin match and the strength and skill involved, a whole hell of a lot more than some little gal twirling a ribbon. Beach basket ball however, is a whole 'nuther story.

Beach basket ball??? WTF? Dang Canuckians! Wouldn't it be kinda hard to dribble a ball on that soft sand? :D

LJ3
02-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah, no doubt that some of the stuff they do now is pretty damn silly. Synchronized swimming, synchronized diving, rythmic gymnastics are about 3 of the dumbest friggin things I've seen.

They seem like an Olympic "participation trophy" to me. "Sorry you didn't make the cut for the gymnastics team, it's tough competition. Here's a ribbon and a ball, go jump around with those things on the mat and we'll see if we can make a sport for you."

Chicken Dinner
02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Don't forget the trampoline gymnastics or whatever they call it.

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
The paper this morning said it came down between wrestling and pentathalon, which is horseback riding, shooting, and swimming. One of the writers in the Tulsa World said "Where I come from, that's not a sport. That's a party."

BKB

Thumper
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
The paper this morning said it came down between wrestling and pentathalon, which is horseback riding, shooting, and swimming. BKB

Ummmm, riding/shooting/swimming ... wouldn't that be a TRIathalon? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Would make sense to me. Maybe they also picnic and play croquet.

BKB

DeputyDog
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I think fencing is part of it too, but I'm not sure. I do know that George Patton participated in the pentathalon in the Olympics. Not sure if he medaled or not.

Big Boy
02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I guess it's ok to expect change but wrasslin is one of the originals - kinda feel like we should keep it. Especially when we have these point based skill events that are "point based skill events" not sports. A sport is a head to head competition between people. I agree with Posthole - many of these "events" are ricockulous.