PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Sunshine ....

Thumper
09-22-2020, 12:45 PM
It appears Sunny got pissed off at us again and has evidently exited the scene. Bucky did the same a while back and there may have been others that we're not aware of, who knows? Granted, Bucky was a HUGE target for abuse and was always such an easy target, it was sometimes next to impossible to resist a dig here and there so maybe it got out of hand at some point. At least in HIS opinion it did, so he went on a hiatus. He was one of the originals here ..... a cornerstone of sorts, but he got soft over the years and turned into a snowflake. JUST KIDDING Buckster! ;)

But I digress, this particular thread is about Sunny. She's thrown in the towel before and just like Bucky, we miss her when she's gone, but to hang with this group of misfits, you just have to be able to shake it off sometimes. I don't think there's one person in this group who is actually cruel and would willingly try to hurt someone's feelings or intentionally try to make them feel unwelcomed here. What it all boils down to is we are friends ... well, more than friends ... we're family really. I'll get into sparring matches with my brother (for example), but once the dust settles, we're still brothers and will do anything for each other if there's a need. It's just how life works, or is SUPPOSED to work.

As for Sunny, I know her better than ANYONE here and I'll let her argue that point if she thinks I'm wrong. I was the first person to "chat" with her when she first popped into the site late one night back in the Mauserman/Carty, post All Outdoors era when we had two sites running. She dropped in while TW and I were chatting and has been here ever since. Of course, we gave her hell from the minute she dropped in because we thought she may have been Mulewriter at first, but her style was not even close, so we welcomed her into the craziness while T-Dub and I tried to out flirt each other. Over the years, Sunny and I have spent time together and if you add up the hours and days, we've literally spent probably a month or more together on a personal basis (by that, I mean, NOT on the net, but face to face). I met her 1st husband years ago, as well as the kids when they were ... well, just kids! (now grown with kids of their own) I met and spent time with her dad years ago and as far as I know, that's probably the last time SHE has even seen her dad.

Enough of the establishing groundwork and on to Sunny. Sunny is a tough lady ... "F" with her and she'll shoot you! (Yes, she carries.) But, underneath lies one of the kindest, most giving people you'd want to know. She would literally give you the shirt off her back if she thought you needed it. She's charitable and donates to any cause she believes in. Heck, when this site has fund drives, she has ALWAYS, consistently been the largest donor, by far. She was extremely upset with me for not accepting a donation for Cappy's flower arrangement. I turned it down because we had the bill covered. Granted, our funds are low because I have no idea if we'll be retaining the site, so I didn't want a large reserve of cash because if this place folds, I'm not sure of the fairest way to return the leftover funds in the account. Don't get me wrong, EVERYONE here always jumps in with donations when they're needed, it's just that Sunny has always been the most generous and never expected any sort of recognition. She's an animal lover (another subject we sometimes use to give her a bit of ribbing) and will literally spend her last dime if it will help keep an animal healthy or comfortable. She's no hunter, but she'll sure snatch a mess of fish out of the water by their lips! If you're sick and she's close by, she'll be the first to step up and help nurse you back to health, physically or spiritually. If you're hungry, she'll feed you. If you're hurting in ANY way, she will be right there for you. It's just the way she is. There is not a selfish bone in her body.

Her main flaw is she cannot take criticism, so you sometimes have to walk on eggshells around her .... and that is NOT an easy task around a place like this. Even when we tip-toe ... or at least think we are, she sometimes thinks we're stomping. To make matters worse, she IS a blonde, so she presents us with plenty of fodder ... much like Bucky ... and with this group (me included), many times the temptation is just too much to bear. Some can take it, some can't, but the person on the receiving end in this joint MUST understand that none of the barbs are meant to be malicious or hurtful, it's just who we are. Once one realizes we are all friends here and there are no enemies, nobody should have a reason to pick up their toys and go home. BUT, if you're thin skinned, never, NEVER, EVER discuss politics or religion if you're expecting full agreement from everyone around you.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 01:07 PM
Some find it hard to spearate their online personas from their real ones. IOW, we tell people they are stupid or retarded or dumb or fat or lazy or any number of other cuts online. Some of us do that in person too. Most have the good manners not to. 30 years of online experiences have pretty much taught me that many people have no manners or qualms when they are in their online personality. People that would never buy a Hustler magazine in ‘real life’ will post stuff online that makes you think they are 13. ITs is manifested in many different ways. Most all of us are more callous online than we’d ever be in person. That’s just a fact. Many people expect people to be more genuine than they are online. Those are the ones that get hurt and runnoft mostly. Happens to all or most of us at some time or another.
And some people are just buttholes. But we usually don’t call people out for it in real life either. We just avoid them

Buttholes.

BKB

LJ3
09-22-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm a softie at heart. Takes a while to get there, though :D None of us should have rules around our participation here.

Arty
09-22-2020, 01:36 PM
Posthead, Are you calling Hank a butthole, or are you calling me a butthole? I can’t be Len, for sure. And Eric isn’t here to take up for himself so I know you wouldn’t do that....

Kribbs, if she can’t can’t take the heat then so be it. I’ve yet to see anything here that is truly malicious. There are plenty of people “picked on” more than her. Especially when this place was lively. Hell, if I was that soft, I’d have never met (in real life) some of the best guys and best friends I’ve ever known. People that have done, and will do, very good things for me. I spent years getting slammed on this very site and some of those same people are people I talk to daily now. I don’t see how a user of a forum like this can have certain qualifiers in order to stay engaged. Like Barry said, It’s the frickin internet. I’ll honk your bobo if you think I’m wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 01:41 PM
butthole(s) p

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 01:48 PM
But just more comment on internet rules of engagement: We (and I am guilty guilty guilty) seem to have a bad habit of telling people how frigging wrong they are. About literally everything. That bullet won’t work, that’s iinhumane. If you get blown away by a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire, invasion of body snatchers then its because you’re too damn stupid to live where I do here in Nivana. The list goes on. Especially in politics. We’ve equated them to ethics and have become modern day saducces and pharisees.
I am not going to ever be bashful about saying what I think, but I’ve made it a point the past few years, since Bucky left to be perfectly honest about it, to avoid telling people they are wrong aboout what they think. Life has been better that way online for me.

BKB

FYI Saducces and PHarisees = Biblical Karens

Thumper
09-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Artemis, I in no way intended to suggest changing the way this place works or how we interact with each other. My post was actually meant (in a round-about way maybe) to explain to Sunny that there is zero animosity toward her and she needs to realize that. It shouldn’t boil down to a “if you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen” type deal, but more of a notice to her that she needs to lighten up and realize it’s nothing personal, she’s actually appreciated here and no matter what, is considered “family”. People just need to quit being so sensitive to the point they’re tripping over their lower lip as they shuffle off.

Arty
09-22-2020, 02:28 PM
But just more comment on internet rules of engagement: We (and I am guilty guilty guilty) seem to have a bad habit of telling people how frigging wrong they are. About literally everything. That bullet won’t work, that’s iinhumane. If you get blown away by a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire, invasion of body snatchers then its because you’re too damn stupid to live where I do here in Nivana. The list goes on. Especially in politics. We’ve equated them to ethics and have become modern day saducces and pharisees.
I am not going to ever be bashful about saying what I think, but I’ve made it a point the past few years, since Bucky left to be perfectly honest about it, to avoid telling people they are wrong aboout what they think. Life has been better that way online for me.

BKB

FYI Saducces and PHarisees = Biblical Karens

Do you know why they called the Sadducees the Sadducees?
Well... because they. Were sad, you see?

Arty
09-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Also, sorry I quoted you. Don’t get triggered !

Thumper
09-22-2020, 02:45 PM
TBH, I’m not even sure what the trigger was. Was it the quoting? Or the “eye rolls”?

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 03:11 PM
I imagine it was a bit of both. And for the record, Cheri I love ya darlin’, and I mean that in a perfectly platonic non-harrassing, big brotherliest way it can be said. Darlin.

Jim’s right, it shouldn’t be that if you can’t stand the heat deal, but that part of it does get amped up some.

And to be honest people are wound up tighter than a three day clock, or to put quote Private Hudson in Aliens, “Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!”

So Cheri git yourself back up in here.

BKB

LJ3
09-22-2020, 03:50 PM
I’ll honk your bobo if you think I’m wrong!

You're deadass wrong! Honk someone elses bobo, not mine!

quercus alba
09-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Is getting your bobo honked a euphemism for you know, getting your bobo honked?

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Its usually Thumper who leads us down the path to iniquity.

But down the path we go!

BKB

quercus alba
09-22-2020, 04:40 PM
Thump is the Sensei, I'm just a humble pupil

LJ3
09-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Thumper
09-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Sensei? I like it. I can see it! ;)

11901 11902

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 08:30 PM
I miss Calvin and Hobbes, and Funky winkerbean, and Pogo and Lil Abner and The Far Side and just good comics in general.

Thumper
09-22-2020, 08:50 PM
I miss Calvin and Hobbes, and Funky winkerbean, and Pogo and Lil Abner and The Far Side and just good comics in general.

Loved those great one's ... but Funky Winkerbean??? That's a new one for me. I'm assuming it's a more modern one that came out after I stopped reading newspapers. :huh

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Started in 1972. Still going.

For those that still get the paper.

Sometimes I wish I did. It was a satisfying daily habit.

BKB

Thumper
09-22-2020, 09:49 PM
So was smoking ... just sayin'. ;)

quercus alba
09-22-2020, 09:52 PM
Walt Kelly was a visionist

airbud7
09-23-2020, 07:07 AM
For those that still get the paper.

Sometimes I wish I did. It was a satisfying daily habit.

BKB
agree...the walk to the paper box while coffee was brewing, simple little routine to start the day...

unless it was pouring down rain and the paper man didn't put it in the little plastic bag...soggy newspaper day.

Sunday paper always had the weekly TV Guide and if it was ever missing....Grrrr...go buy another paper at the store and double-check it was in there.

Thumper
09-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Personally, I think Trump gets a little carried away with his "fake news" claims and runs it into the ground, like he does so many other things (like the Obama birther crap). I believe nowadays, most of the fake news is actually just biased news. You can take most any political story and put your own spin on it, or exaggerate it, or subdue it. BUT ... I will admit, I was an avid reader of the newspaper when I was younger. It was like an addiction ... I HAD to read the newspaper every day. BUT, that all changed while I was in the military. Being in the intel field, I KNEW what the "real" news was, but what was reported in the newspapers was for the most part, bullshit! When I got out of the military, I never purchased another newspaper until I started my business, and that was just so I could check my ad everyday, as well as look at my competitor's ads. Then the internet exploded and I feel newspapers are going the way of the dodo bird. That said, I knew to never even attempt to talk to my mom until she'd read the paper and had a couple cups of coffee in the morning .. and that continued until her death just a couple of years ago. I really see no need for physical newspapers anymore.

airbud7
09-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Personally, I really see no need for physical newspapers anymore.
me thinks you're becoming a tree hugger, last week it was no paper check writing, now it's no physical newspaper, next thing you'll want is electronic Billboards all over town, electronic wanted/missing person posters....

what's next Thumper?...electronic toilet paper?...let me guess, you have a bidet to spray your ass clean!.....:D

:D

Thumper
09-23-2020, 08:53 AM
I was going to ask if you had a stool available, but it looks like you posted a "sample" above. Good try, but it's not tall enough.

Never considered myself a tree-hugger, but most of the deer leases down here are on paper company property. I couldn't tell you how many buddy's I've had who had leases, spent a few years cleaning, building stands and feeding critters, then showed up for hunting season to find nothing but stumps, or a lumber crew in the midst of clearing every stick standing. So maybe saving a few trees would give the critters more places to hang out. Is that a bad thing? ;)

Naaa, actually, I'm just trying my best to stay no more than 10 or so years behind The Lenster on technology. I wouldn't want to be classified as a dinosaur for still using useless paper products. Heck, I barely use paper money these days as it all goes on plastic. ;)

Big Skyz
09-23-2020, 12:30 PM
From Sunny, to comic strips, to fake news. Glad to see everyone can stay on topic just like always. :D Btw, nobody ran me off, I'm still adjusting to a new work environment and it kicks my butt most days. I just don't have much time to post or even check in half the time.

Thumper
09-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Most likely, ‘cause you’re too busy fishing! 😉

Big Skyz
09-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Thump, that's after work. Who surfs the net while not at work? Well unless they are retired. :D

Penguin
09-23-2020, 01:45 PM
Thump, that's after work. Who surfs the net while not at work? Well unless they are retired. :D

Quote of the day Troy. :)

Will

Bwana
09-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Sorry to see Sunny go, as I am with the others who have left through the years, but everyone has their limits. Hopefully all have a change of heart and eventually show up again.

As someone infamous once said, "Can't we all just get along?" ;-)

HideHunter
09-24-2020, 10:24 AM
yeah, that...

Buckrub
09-24-2020, 11:29 AM
Well, you're off base on why I left. One person here knows why, I told him not long ago so someone would know. Turns out, no one cares. LOLOLOL Just kidding. But after thinking long and hard, I decided it would be best if I didn't say on here what I knew about certain situations. And I still believe that's true. I was asked to at least check in and I did that, and do that. But if it's being a snowflake to not 'stay and fight', why isn't it also being a snowflake to get upset when folks try to tell you that you're wrong? Same thing, right? I simply tried to do the right thing. That often doesn't work, I guess.

These days I do try to avoid giving an opinion to some folks. But that coin has two sides, also. Everything that every human thinks is not right just cause they thunk it. But I have learned to TRY (I'm human) and not tell folks what they should think............but I don't always avoid saying outloud what I think. There is a difference.

If y'all wanna vote me out, I'll turn in my secret decoder ring and certificate. I got too many fish to fry to care much anymore. Truth is, as much as it might hurt some, that this place is simply too small to be a lot of fun anymore. I see posts lately by a lot of folks that rarely post. I don't think I'm alone there. It's mostly a 3 or 4 way conversation, but in public. :walk

By the way, one of the neatest things about this place is the exhaustive list of Emoticons you can use in your posts. Other places I go don't have all that. That's just cool. Five years ago, I didn't know what an Emoticon OR a Meme was, and now All Truth is provided via one of those methods!!!

Big Skyz
09-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Buckrub, now you got everyone wondering if they are that "certain situation"... I for one was glad to see you come back.

Buckrub
09-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Buckrub, now you got everyone wondering if they are that "certain situation"... I for one was glad to see you come back.

I didn't mean to do that. Honest. Just tryin' to explain without upsetting anyone. Never had any issue with you that I can remember........'cept I never got to hunt with you. Don't need to trout fish with you. I can beat you at that here at home with one hand tied behind your back. :D

That, and I never got but one nice painting out of you. Course, that was $20, and I had to save a while to afford that one...... but it's dang sure on my wall, framed.

quercus alba
09-24-2020, 05:24 PM
And Judas, who was betraying Him, said, "Surely it is not I, Rabbi?" Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself."

Buckrub
09-24-2020, 05:43 PM
LOL!!
You caught me Vince. It's you. :crybaby

I am not saying it right, apparently. So, never mind about it. No reason to bring it up. Not what I meant.

Cheri is a good person, though. Seemed troubled, but she suffers from what has always ailed me.........overreaction. Maybe when I get that 2nd eye fixed next week in my 2nd cataract surgery, I can see things better!!!

quercus alba
09-24-2020, 05:47 PM
How you getting your eyes fixed? I got the long range lens, all I wear is readers. Not sure if it’s better than wearing bifocals or not, except I can wear my cool shades now :fine

Buckrub
09-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Long range, but I gotta admit, I'm a bit frustrated. I expected sorta "instant" better vision in that eye. Had right one done Sep 8. It's not. Blurry still. BETTER, but not good. Still can't read the digital clock readout across the room in middle of night, with that eye. But the old glasses make that eye a bit blurry too, so maybe it's better. I go for followup on the first surgery Monday morning early. I'll ask about all this then.

My cousin had his done and he can now see the iron sights on his old .30-30 again. BUT, he said it took a solid month after both surgeries before it was good. So I will wait and see. (pun there).

It ain't like I can redo it. Whatever it is, is whatever it is. But SOME folks had instant perfect vision. I don't. Still..........color is better. The right eye, the world is a bright white. The left one, the world still has a yellow tinge.

Hopeful for next week that it's way better.

Big Muddy
09-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Had both my eyeballs done, last month.....cataracts are gone, and got the astigmatism corrective lens(extra cost, but worth it)......I can see two gnats screwing at 200 yards, which one is on top/bottom, size of his pecker, and the smile on his face. ;)

Buckrub
09-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Had both my eyeballs done, last month.....cataracts are gone, and got the astigmatism corrective lens(extra cost, but worth it)......I can see two gnats screwing at 200 yards, which one is on top/bottom, size of his pecker, and the smile on his face. ;)

See? That's what I expected, at least out of this first eye. But no. This is what others all told me.

Ed, how long did it take after both surgeries were done, that you could see those gnats??? Instantly? Weeks??? A month???

Bwana
09-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Have gotten to the point a couple of years ago that I need cheaters to see what is on my dinner plate, so instead of wearing contacts as I have for 30+ years I have mostly switched to wearing glasses with progressive lenses. When I hunt I still use my contacts but last night I took a break from working on getting my shop done and tried looking through my wife's rifle scope with those glasses...that is a NO go for certain.

These little "treats" that come with getting old suck.

quercus alba
09-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Bucky, it took me over a month. I need 1.25x readers to shoot open sights but no problem with a scope

Big Muddy
09-25-2020, 09:24 PM
Bucky, it took me over a month. I need 1.25x readers to shoot open sights but no problem with a scope

That has been mostly my experience, as well.