PDA

View Full Version : I won't be doing any more

quercus alba
09-27-2020, 01:06 PM
college football picks. The freaking politics and BLM movement have sucked all the fun out of it. I appreciate all the support and participation but I don't have enough years left to stay upset and pissed off all the time.

This is for all the folks that made this happen

Bastages

Chicken Dinner
09-29-2020, 05:37 AM
I hate to see you stop as I’ve enjoyed the ecxhange. But, understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
09-29-2020, 06:15 AM
Thanks a lot! I was just fine until you decided to quit posting your picks, but now I’m pissed off! 😡. ( 😉 )

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2020, 07:13 AM
I don’t understand it at all, but suit yourself. You’ve a knack for picks, that is for sure.

BKB

Thumper
09-29-2020, 07:51 AM
You’ve a knack for picks, that is for sure. BKB

Yep, he's picked some good ones!

quercus alba
09-29-2020, 10:00 AM
I've lost interest Barry. Maybe I'll regain it but I doubt it. It's been coming on for a few years now. I used to love to watch the old rivalries like Oklahoma/Texas, Mich/Ohio st, UCLA/USC, Nebraska/Sooners, Arkansas/Texas. Then it started becoming a political platform......Red River Rivalry instead of Shootout, teams changing their names to keep from offending people who felt like they needed to be offended about something and then the conference realignments did away with some great games. The quality of the product just isn't the same. I've found myself becoming bitter and angry rather than enjoying the sport. The last few months have been the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm not going to be an angry old man, I'm going to play with my grandkids, go fishing and keep the squirrels shot out of my pecan tree and bird feeders. I may not be in charge of the politics of our country but I'm in charge of how much of it I let into my life. I'm rapidly reaching the point where my tv may make a trip to the second hand shop in the near future.

Thumper
09-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Wow! Your story pretty well matches my thoughts on my life-long enjoyment of NASCAR racing. No more Winston Cup races ... cigs aren't p/c ... but Budweiser, Coors or Miller Lite are fine. Bubba Wallace cries and 100 executives run to him with a hanky. Then NASCAR decides to stop the whole field on the last pace lap at Atlanta, have all drivers shut their engines off, pit crews have to stand on the pit walls, message delivered by Steve Phelps followed by 30-seconds of silence before proceeding with the race, all to honor George Floyd, I thought they'd lost their frigging minds! When owners started slapping BLM labels all over their cars and all Rebel flags or symbols were banned --- even from a track that traditionally hosted the Dixie 500 race for many years ... all in the name of "p/c'ness" ... I finally threw in the towel. I'm done.

quercus alba
09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Jim, if I didn't know better I'd say we were becoming a couple of old curmudgeons. Too bad Cap ain't around, we'd have a trio

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2020, 11:48 AM
It sure is an odd year for all sports. I’ve tried to keep college sports separate in my head but it doesn’treally work. MLB has done a pretty admirable job of pulling off games for tv audiences but IMO none of the records or pennants or championships can be apples to apples compared to a ‘regular’ 162 game season. The Cardinals, for example, played 56 games in 44 days. How do you compare Gold Glove or MVP statistics under those big differences in circumstances? You can’t. They will. To me, earns an asterisk, not because it was harder or easier, but because in baseball it wasn’t normal. Noteworthy of the annals of baseball history, not normal enough to be considered for regular records.
College football is the same. None of this year should count for eiligibilityor records or championships, none of it. its experience, risk of injury for not much reward, and in my mind just entertainment. The almighty dollar has spoken. But not to deny young brilliant athletic minds a chance to play, universities are gobbling up all the tv revenue they can. And the teams are having trouble fielding teams.
I’m just saying the shine is off it for me too. But I still love it, and baseball, so I’ll watch.
The politics of any of this are pure bullshit and entirely meaningless. But that’s MO too.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2020, 05:34 AM
The Razorbacks and the Wolf Pack both beat ranked teams yesterday. You should have quit doing these picks a while back! [emoji41]

airbud7
10-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Nascar is gonna race on dirt track

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a34242527/the-reason-nascar-is-going-dirt-racing-why-bristol-and-why-now/

quercus alba
10-04-2020, 10:21 AM
The Razorbacks and the Wolf Pack both beat ranked teams yesterday. You should have quit doing these picks a while back! [emoji41]

The hogs really won? I watched the Auburn Georgia game.

I figured it was just some of that fake news

Big Muddy
10-04-2020, 12:29 PM
Yep, the Hogs really won it.....well, actually, the gift of turnovers won it for them.....the Dogs just couldn't get their sheeit together.....but, we were gonna be winners, either way, since we spend about as much time(and, money;)) in Arkieland, as we do in MS.....we even fly both Hog and Dog flags in both of our Ark. and MS yards. ;)

Thumper
10-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Nascar is gonna race on dirt track

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a34242527/the-reason-nascar-is-going-dirt-racing-why-bristol-and-why-now/

ANOTHER gimmick to try saving NASCAR. Someday, maybe they’ll realize it was their stupid gimmicks that have killed NASCAR in the first place. The old, loyal fans have thrown in the towel and abandoned them. Now they’re concentrating on trying to draw in the younger fans who have no clue what NASCAR used to be. During the early days of the pandemic, I thought I was tuning into a NASCAR race and it turned out to be the drivers racing on a f’ing video game! Give me a frigging break! Heck, Kyle Larson was even suspended/fired for “cussing” during one of the .... ummmm .... “races”.

It’s something I grew up with and have loved all my life, but I could give a rat’s ass anymore. It used to be a weekly event (during season) for me to watch, or even attend a race, but I’ve probably only watched 6-8 races in the last 5 years. It’s a shame, but I have better things to do these days, like watching my grass grow.

airbud7
10-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Yea!, what Thumper said.^

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/GbCNMy4c.HoMUvbDtZVpQA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NDkyO2g9MzYw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/015f6767b0c275014dffbb40a752187c

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/8f/a6/d78fa6d5d84b770a3db20eb71e998536.gif

DeputyDog
10-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Come to the light. ....INDYCAR doesn’t have “stage racing”, a playoff type championship, or “overtime” so that a race can have a manufactured dramatic ending.

In this abbreviated season, they were only able to run 14 of the 17 scheduled events, the point spread for the championship entering into the final race is the closest in a decade. Scott Dixon, who trails only AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti in all-time race wins is leading Josef Newgarden by 32 points, meaning a win by Newgarden and a mid-pack finish by Dixon will give the championship to Newgarden.

Dixon is from New Zealand but has lived in Indy so long we consider him a Hoosier. He has won 5 championships, second only to Foyt. Newgarden is from just outside of Nashville, TN and is the defending champ.

The last race of the season is coming up in three weeks from St. Pete. They are allowing fans to attend (at least for now) and I’ve been to that race and it’s pretty cool. It is a street course that incorporates an airport runway for the long main straight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201004/d05dabdf8adde1a7f0ab01e4937113f1.gif

Buckrub
10-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Yep, the Hogs really won it.....well, actually, the gift of turnovers won it for them.....the Dogs just couldn't get their sheeit together.....but, we were gonna be winners, either way, since we spend about as much time(and, money;)) in Arkieland, as we do in MS.....we even fly both Hog and Dog flags in both of our Ark. and MS yards. ;)

Craziest game I maybe ever saw. Just nuts. But our DC wasn't about to pull an LSU and try and cover MSU receivers mano-a-mano all night, and get beat for 700 yards, just to be macho! 3 man line, dropping 8, and the Pirate never did really figure it out. But both teams shot themselves in the foot, then they shot the other team in the foot, then they shot both coaches in the foot, then they shot themselves in the foot again, then they just shot all the feet they could find. We lost 5 first teamers, our best players. We might not have enough to field a team against Auburn Saturday. But if we lose and hold Auburn with their wonderful, high-dollar, extremely worthy, top notch Offensive Coordinator to about 10 points, I'll personally try and see if every one of our defenses can't get a cheeleader of their choice and a few dead presidents.

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2020, 04:17 PM
DD, I’ve never been much of a race fan. But, both my sons have “discovered” F1. The bits and pieces I’ve seen seem pretty interesting.

DeputyDog
10-04-2020, 06:26 PM
The tech in F1 is unreal. The bad thing is that on any given race day, there is only four cars at best that have a chance of winning.

The cool thing about INDYCAR currently is that there is maybe four cars in the field that DON’T have a chance of winning.

quercus alba
10-05-2020, 01:26 PM
Truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjEynp0ji6Y&feature=youtu.be