PDA

View Full Version : Anybody gonna watch the debate?

Thumper
09-29-2020, 08:00 PM
It'll prolly be a train wreck, but I got'ta watch it anyway. I know Trump will embarrass me with his 6th grade mentality, but I voted for him for his business acumen, not his p/c'ness or speaking abilities. I just wish the Corona thing hadn't thrown a stick in his spokes as I'd have loved to see how well the economy would have performed under him. It was on a roll when the shit hit the fan. Things are so f'd up now, I really don't know what to expect from the upcoming election. It baffles me at how everyone is blaming Trump for all of the Corona related mess. I'm really not sure ANYBODY could have handled it any better TBH. BUT, I'm afraid it may be his downfall, I'm not sure. It'll be a close one I believe unless Sleepy Joe dozes off during the debates. It's gonna be an interesting month+ either way.

Arty
09-29-2020, 08:47 PM
I just put in my earpiece and got jacked up on amphetamines.... I’m ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
09-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Off to a great start. Trump can’t keep his frigging mouth shut for 10 seconds. What a free-for-all. It’s like a food fight in a second grade lunchroom. Sheesh! 🙄

Thumper
09-29-2020, 10:18 PM
This is a F’ing zoo!

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2020, 10:56 PM
The man is a lunatic.

BKB

Thumper
09-29-2020, 11:31 PM
Like a bull in a china shop. Uncouth. Rude. Like a spoiled child. But I voted for him for a specific reason and will do so again.

Buckrub
09-30-2020, 08:14 AM
Two goobers.

80% of Americans will vote AGAINST someone in this election. The hate for the "other side" is equaled only by the blindness to their own man's faults. Thus, I am not voting for either one of them. I AM going to vote for future policies and appointments.

Big Muddy
09-30-2020, 08:22 AM
I'll gladly take a lunatic next to me in the foxhole, rather than a pathetic pussy career politician who has lined his pockets with taxpayer money, and NEVER accomplished sheeit in the last 47 years.
If you disagree, please list three of his accomplishments(verified and factual, please).

Thumper
09-30-2020, 08:25 AM
Ha! After the "debate" (and I use that term loosely), I jumped around the channels for the different perspectives on the "other" networks (besides FOX). Wow! It's really odd how people on one side of the fence, see things TOTALLY differently than those on the other side of the fence. I think all did agree on one thing though, the debate was an out of control mess. I think Chris Wallace deserves a raise for his baby-sitting job, but some blame HIM for letting things get out of control. Frankly, I don't think ANYONE could have controlled Trump's infantile behavior. Then again, Biden isn't totally without blame either, it's just that Trump is like an out of control, spoiled brat who bullies his way through if he hits a roadblock. I vote for him because he's a successful businessman and knows how to rattle the cages of the "old guard" who are just 1-step above worthless for the most part .... (IMO).

My suggestion? The next moderator should be provided two switches on his or her desk. When Trump's 2-minutes is in progress, switch off Biden's mic. When it's Biden's turn, switch Trump's mic off. Unless something changes, I see no other way to get anything accomplished with these so-called "debates".

I did have to chuckle though. Above, both before and during the debate, I used the terms "train wreck' and "food fight". I heard the exact same descriptions on the after-debate reviews. I think on MSNBC or possibly CNN ... I was channel surfing and don't remember persactly.

BarryBobPosthole
09-30-2020, 08:25 AM
Donald Trump in a foxhole? That’s a laugh. His bone spurs remember? Maybe you should choose another eyphemism Muddy! Like ‘in the same starbucks’.

BkB

Thumper
09-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Two goobers.

80% of Americans will vote AGAINST someone in this election.

Bucky, I've only voted to vote AGAINST someone in every election since Reagan. I don't like it, it's just a reality these days.

Big Muddy
09-30-2020, 08:54 AM
Donald Trump in a foxhole? That’s a laugh. His bone spurs remember? Maybe you should choose another eyphemism Muddy! Like ‘in the same starbucks’.

BkB

Ha, as opposed to Biden and his crack-head son, huh???.....gimme a break.....at least, Trump's got sons who are avid hunters and outdoorsmen.....but, I digress.

Penguin
09-30-2020, 09:09 AM
I was comfortably in bed and asleep by the time the shit slinging started. :)

Will

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2020, 09:23 AM
I didn’t vote for either of them last time and as long as there’s a Libertarian in the ballot, and there is, I won’t do it this time either. They’re the only true conservatives left.

Big Muddy
09-30-2020, 09:33 AM
To heck with it all, I'm voting for an early spring crappie spawn. ;)

Thumper
09-30-2020, 09:35 AM
CD and Bucky ... I understand your reasoning, but I have to assume it's only a "feel good" thing for you guys. Why waste the time, effort and gas ... or at minimum, a stamp? Why not just stay home, watch tv or go fishing instead? It would accomplish just as much with the same results. I never could understand why anyone would go to the effort to cast a "protest vote" for Mickey Mouse. A third party vote doesn't stand a chance in Hell of accomplishing anything once the dust settles.

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2020, 10:16 AM
I totally disagree. If we want change, continuing to vote D or R is not going to help.

Thumper
09-30-2020, 10:50 AM
I totally disagree. If we want change, continuing to vote D or R is not going to help.

I DO understand what you're saying, but if you face reality, for all practical purposes, we are pretty much set up as a 2-party system. Maybe in the distant future, that third spoke may fit in, but I seriously doubt it'll happen in our lifetimes ... at least not to the point it's a viable option. But, to each his own. FWIW, Lynn votes the same way and I have no problem with it. It's just one less Democratic vote as far as I'm concerned (I mean, she IS a Californian and all). :wink

BarryBobPosthole
09-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Don’t fret, there’s always Kanye.

BKB

Buckrub
09-30-2020, 02:16 PM
CD and Bucky ... I understand your reasoning, but I have to assume it's only a "feel good" thing for you guys. Why waste the time, effort and gas ... or at minimum, a stamp? Why not just stay home, watch tv or go fishing instead? It would accomplish just as much with the same results. I never could understand why anyone would go to the effort to cast a "protest vote" for Mickey Mouse. A third party vote doesn't stand a chance in Hell of accomplishing anything once the dust settles.

You read too fast. LOLOL!

Read what I said again.

I said I was going to vote for the man whose appointments and policies I most agree with. That is TRUMP! But I ain't actually voting FOR Trump (semantics, yeah I know) per se, I'm voting for his results.

Just a play on words. Sorry it went over your head. If you'd take off that Monkey Mask, you wouldn't be so tall and stuff wouldn't go over your head. :D

Big Skyz
09-30-2020, 02:19 PM
So I saw someone comment online last night after the debate: "I bet the democrats are really disappointed that this is the best they have to vote for." My thinking is there are plenty of republicans thinking the same thing! I'm not thrilled with either choice, but I can't force myself to vote for that mumbling, stumbling, idiot Biden and his proven track record. Trump at least aligns most of his values similar to mine, but constantly is an embarrassment. The only good thing I can say about this year's choices is they are still both better than Hilldabeast!

Thumper
09-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Yeah Buckster, I did catch that and figured as much. I just had a brain fart and didn’t carry it through to my reply. Sky, someone on the Trump campaign crew needs to convince him to shut his pie hole and let Biden speak. If he could do that, he could give Biden enough rope to just ramble on until he hangs himself. Trump interrupts him so often, he never had time to f-up! Trump is his own worst enemy.

Big Skyz
09-30-2020, 02:46 PM
I 100% agree that Trump was his own enemy last night. I wanted to tell him to shut up. Might be the first time I've ever agreed with Biden on anything.

Buckrub
09-30-2020, 04:15 PM
Yeah Buckster, I did catch that and figured as much. I just had a brain fart and didn’t carry it through to my reply. Sky, someone on the Trump campaign crew needs to convince him to shut his pie hole and let Biden speak. If he could do that, he could give Biden enough rope to just ramble on until he hangs himself. Trump interrupts him so often, he never had time to f-up! Trump is his own worst enemy.

Yeah, really!!

I told a guy this morning that it's a real shame that everyone I know, including myownself, is thinking "If I could have been in Trump's/Biden's shoes, I could have hammered the other guy like a red headed stepchild!". And dang near every American can say the same. Know why? Cause every single American is smarter than those two.

BUT.......as Sky says......and as I said.......I'm voting for policy execution and appointments. That's Trump hands down. I ain't about to vote to let AOC run this country.

quercus alba
09-30-2020, 05:39 PM
People in general are too stupid to vote. I think Posthole and me should get to pick the president, vice president, President pro tempore and speaker of the house as well as supreme court justices. We could hold our meetings in his bass boat and you can rest assured it would be better than the choices we have now

Arty
09-30-2020, 08:56 PM
People in general are too stupid to vote. I think Posthole and me should get to pick the president, vice president, President pro tempore and speaker of the house as well as supreme court justices. We could hold our meetings in his bass boat and you can rest assured it would be better than the choices we have now

If it’s in his bass boat, just remember that it’s BYOP.

Bring your own plug.

BarryBobPosthole
09-30-2020, 09:40 PM
You’re in the ‘That Ain’t Right’ Party.

BKB

Thumper
09-30-2020, 10:54 PM
Butt plug? 😳

airbud7
09-30-2020, 11:46 PM
Trump and Biden should have a duel like the old days!

On May 30, 1806, future President Andrew Jackson kills a man who accused him of cheating on a horse race bet and then insulted his wife, Rachel.

Contemporaries described Jackson, who had already served in Tennessee’s Senate and was practicing law at the time of the duel, as argumentative, physically violent and fond of dueling to solve conflicts. Estimates of the number of duels in which Jackson participated ranged from five to 100.

Jackson and Dickinson were rival horse breeders and southern plantation owners with a long-standing hatred of each other. Dickinson accused Jackson of reneging on a horse bet, calling Jackson a coward and an equivocator. Dickinson also called Rachel Jackson a bigamist. (Rachel had married Jackson not knowing her first husband had failed to finalize their divorce.) After the insult to Rachel and a statement published in the National Review in which Dickinson called Jackson a worthless scoundrel and, again, a coward, Jackson challenged Dickinson to a duel.

On May 30, 1806, Jackson and Dickinson met at Harrison's Mills on the Red River in Logan, Kentucky. At the first signal from their seconds, Dickinson fired. Jackson received Dickinson’s first bullet in the chest next to his heart. Jackson put his hand over the wound to staunch the flow of blood and stayed standing long enough to fire his gun. Dickinson’s seconds claimed Jackson’s first shot misfired, which would have meant the duel was over, but, in a breach of etiquette, Jackson re-cocked the gun and shot again, this time killing his opponent. Although Jackson recovered, he suffered chronic pain from the wound for the remainder of his life.

Jackson was not prosecuted for murder, and the duel had very little effect on his successful campaign for the presidency in 1829. Many American men in the early 1800s, particularly in the South, viewed dueling as a time-honored tradition. In 1804, Thomas Jefferson’s vice president Aaron Burr had also avoided murder charges after killing former Treasury secretary and founding father Alexander Hamilton in a duel. In fact, Rachel’s divorce raised more of a scandal in the press and in parlors than the killing of Dickinson.

Penguin
10-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Totally off topic... or maybe not.

I have always found Andrew Jackson to be one of the most interesting historical figures of US history. Taken as a whole he had some of the most admirable traits you could imagine. Things that you would dismiss as fable out of hand if they hadn't been documented so thoroughly. But then you read on to the equally well documented cases of personal bigotry and small minded hatreds that tainted not only his life but his presidency. I have to admit I would have been on the side of his biggest nemesis Davy Crockett on most issues.

But in spite of being a mean spirited and totally despicable human being in some respects he also had otherworldly courage and sense of purpose. His sense of duty and honor is something I can't even fathom. It's not an exaggeration to say that we would have most likely lost the War of 1812 and the nation itself had he not been there to save us.

It is hard to imagine a man so blessed in the things that make a man great and so cursed in those things that make a man small. Like I said, he fascinates me.

Will

Arty
10-01-2020, 09:21 AM

I have always found Andrew Jackson to be one of the most interesting historical figures of US history. Taken as a whole he had some of the most admirable traits you could imagine. Things that you would dismiss as fable out of hand if they hadn't been documented so thoroughly. But then you read on to the equally well documented cases of personal bigotry and small minded hatreds that tainted not only his life but his presidency. I have to admit I would have been on the side of his biggest nemesis Davy Crockett on most issues.

But in spite of being a mean spirited and totally despicable human being in some respects he also had otherworldly courage and sense of purpose. His sense of duty and honor is something I can't even fathom. It's not an exaggeration to say that we would have most likely lost the War of 1812 and the nation itself had he not been there to save us.

It is hard to imagine a man so blessed in the things that make a man great and so cursed in those things that make a man small. Like I said, he fascinates me.

Will

You talk perty’

Very well said!

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Will

Jackson made his bones in the War of 1812. History hasn’t been too kind to him when viewed through today’s lens. TR is very much the same as Jackson in that regard.
I’ve been reading up on my local history and an interesting and another really flawed guy who history made a hero of is Sam Houston.
BKB

Thumper
10-01-2020, 10:45 AM
And the whole lot of them will have any of their statues torn down now because they were slave owners. So much for history.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Statues aren’t history any more than TR was a slave owner. If you taught history using statues you’d get a pretty bizarre recitation of history. We have good history teachers. Some are even in public schools. I think we should stick with that and let the statues speak for themselves.
(pun intended)
BKB

Penguin
10-01-2020, 11:55 AM
I agree Posty. Although I admit that Teddy was someone I have long admired... but I disagree with some of the things he believed. And do so strongly. On other things I am all in. We could use some of his trust busting and bank tethering about now I think.

But it seems to me like the US creates more of these complex individuals and that they tend to have a stronger flavor than those from elsewhere. Maybe the US gave them more room to move and expand (both for the good and otherwise) than they'd have gotten in other parts of the world? Who knows. Mayhap that's just my perception and not real.

But take George Patton. Other countries have made many great generals. And there have been a slew of eccentric military leaders. But almost never do they come in the same package. When you look at what he did and how he did it though? You just have to shake your head in awe. But then you read some of the things he said and it's hard to believe it is the same man. And could Chesty Puller have even come to exist anywhere else? I doubt it.

American history is full of these kinds of characters. And so many of them were complex and complicated. The history of this nation itself is of the same nature. The biggest mistake I see otherwise intelligent people making is to try and find vindication or validation in history. There isn't one single ethnic or national group I know that doesn't have shameful and/or distasteful episodes somewhere back up the line. Probably isn't one that hasn't shown the ability for greatness either.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Yep, but just one clarification. I was just pointing out that we only have the eyes and ears and brain we have now to try to understand history and its characters. We don’t have the benefit of viewing it or them with the mindset of those who were alive at the time those things happened or those people lived.
I love TR and what he did for our politics and our country. AndI think we need a Bull Moose Party today, with some obvious platform changes of course. He was also a racist, a narcissist, and a pompous ass. Knowing those things doesn’t change the history or the moments he impacted.

I just think history becomes worship too often. Maybe it is better more simply said. And people need to lighten up a little.

BKB

Penguin
10-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Amen to that brother.

So many times I've read about something or someone from long ago and just had to admit that without actually being there and living in that age I would never fully understand them/it. So many times and so many instances I have to admit I don't understand.

I read a book about the landing of the 6th Marines on Saipan. I've tried but cannot pretend to understand what that must have been like. What drove them to wade up that beach into that kind of firepower?

And Eva Braun! Can anyone tell me what in the hell she was thinking? "Hello, my name is Adolph and I am going to try start a worldwide war and kill every Jew, gypsy, and Freemason on the planet. Want to have dinner?"

I can definitely see why the subject is so fascinating to so many. I personally think archaeology and anthropology would also be every bit as interesting. A man gets to a certain age and realizes how much he doesn't know.

Will

airbud7
10-01-2020, 04:48 PM
it seems the older I get the more I'm interested in history or just anything old in general...I stopped the other day just to look at an old dilapidated farmhouse I've passed right by a many of time in my day, as I snooped around I thought to myself, man if these walls could talk I bet they would tell some cool stories.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2020, 05:19 PM
People didn’t seem to need as much room to live in back then did they?

Almost any place I’ve been to outside the US, they live in much smaller spaces than we do.

BKB

Thumper
10-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Of course back in the day, we weren't as ... ummm ... "large" as we are now. ;)

Also, the bedrooms were much smaller as a twin bed was considered BIG! I remember my ex-wife and I shared a twin bed when we were in our 20's. 'Course, she was 4'10" and weighed 92 pounds. :thumbsup

Thumper
10-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Almost any place I’ve been to outside the US, they live in much smaller spaces than we do. BKB

Ya' ever seen a NYC apartment?

Penguin
10-01-2020, 06:09 PM
You guys are right about that. A lot more work to build a place back then.

But man they did have some cool inventions on those old homes. Like the 360 wrap around porches. And those little platforms they put up on their roofs to sit on... not sure what those are called.

Will

Thumper
10-01-2020, 06:18 PM
.... And those little platforms they put up on their roofs to sit on... not sure what those are called. Will

Those are called "Widow's Walks or Widow's Watches" Willy. They're more common on seaside homes. There are some in Florida, but they were most popular in the New England area. I think they got their name from the fact wives would go up there and watch for their husbands returning from the sea. I guess the "widow" term came about because many of those old seafarers never returned. I'm not sure what the true, technical term is for those things.

Arty
10-01-2020, 06:32 PM
People didn’t seem to need as much room to live in back then did they?

Almost any place I’ve been to outside the US, they live in much smaller spaces than we do.

BKB

Damn right.
But they ain’t got guns!
:)