PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant move General Motors (and a caution to anyone here).

Thumper
10-05-2020, 11:12 AM
This weekend, I was talking to the guy who cuts my grass about the fishing trip he went on last week. He was telling me about his fishing buddy who recently bought a Chevy Colorado and he put a small camper on it that he uses for weekend fishing trips. It's not a monster set-up as he's not an avid camper, it's just a small pop-up type camper thingy to get out of the weather rather than screwing with a tent. Well, he found out last week that he has voided his warranty. WTF??? When he told me why, I called b/s, then googled it this morning. Un-frigging-believable.

Cut & Paste of an article on the net dated 10/02/2020

The growth of overlanding and the many new stock off-road midsize pickups on the market seems like a perfect match. You have a smaller, more capable pickup to get through the trails and a place to sleep under the stars — unless you own a Chevy Colorado. If you just said, huh, you’re right. Here is why you shouldn’t put a slide-in camper on the midsize Chevy truck (or the GMC Canyon).

Recently, we found yet another customer who had bent his frame on the Chevy Colorado ZR2. What makes his story unique is he had an Alu-Cab Explorer canopy on his truck. This isn’t exactly a camper, but similar to a leer, snugtop or similar topper. However, it still begs the question on a slide-in camper. Alu-Cab has been offering a camper for years and even has photos of a Colorado with the camper on its Instagram page. Rather it’s the fact Chevy specifically states do not use a slide-in camper (any slide-in camper) on the Colorado that is unique.

On page 173 of the Chevy Colorado’s owners manual, it states, quite clearly, “do not install a slide-in camper or similar equipment on the vehicle.” This is a very interesting statement considering companies like Alu-Cab offer such equipment specifically for the Chevy Colorado, and they even have installation instructions ..... Further making things interesting is this isn’t the first time Chevy has had an issue with slide-in campers. This post on GM-Trucks.com shows a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with a no-slide in sticker in the glove box.

We checked with every other manufacturer of midsize pickups, and most said you could use a slide-in camper with the longer bed option — except for the Honda Ridgeline due to lack of testing plus the fact the trunk has a max weight of 300 pounds per the owner’s manual. In fact, Toyota and Ford both sent us pictures proudly showing off their Tacoma and Ranger pickups with slide-in campers and both directed us to Four Wheel Campers to see their product options.

With the slide-in camper products available for sale and every other midsize pickup saying a slide-in camper is just fine, this leaves Chevy customers wondering if they should ignore the slide-in camper sticker. However, the danger in doing so is rather risky. For the owner we talked about in the beginning, he is out several thousand dollars replacing the frame on his truck. Since he had the slide-in camper, Chevy denied his warranty claim and the insurance company said no as well since he didn’t follow the manufacturer’s recommendation not to use a slide-in camper.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Notsure why you’d need a camper on a toy truck anyway.
Buy a fullsize and you won’t have those issues.
BKB

Thumper
10-05-2020, 11:34 AM
That's not the point. As stated, he's not an avid camper and just uses the truck for little weekend jaunts to go fishing. He pulls a little 12 (14?) foot aluminum deep-V boat with a 15-HP outboard. He doesn't need a full-sized truck and most importantly, doesn't want one. He simply doesn't want to hassle with a tent and sleeping on the ground. Who would'a thunk a mid-sized pick-up couldn't handle a small camper shell? It's ridiculous.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 04:39 PM
You’ve gone from slide in camper to camper shell.

Thumper
10-05-2020, 04:46 PM
Oh, sorry you crusty old curmudgeon. I didn't mean to add "shell" to the description. I'm just going by the fishing pics my buddy showed me and saw the "camper" in one of the pics. That's when he told me about his buddy's warranty problems. I don't know the exact model camper he had, but it looked very similar to this: (NOTE: This is a Tacoma, so it's ok) ;)

If something like that is going to bend/break a frigging frame, I'd be pretty f'ing pissed off.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 05:05 PM
Then maybe your friend oughtabuy a friggin Tacoma and not a toy truck.

BKB

Thumper
10-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Ummm, the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, etc, etc. are all MID-SIZED trucks. Apparently, only the GM models break in half. Sure, he SHOULD have bought a Tacoma imho, but I'm biased. That said, I don't care WHO builds it, a pick-up truck should be able to carry a small camper. Are you allowed to put anything in the back other than a sack of groceries? I guess if you're calling the Chevy/GMC entries "toys", you may have a point there, after reading the above anyway.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 05:29 PM
I don’t disagree at all with the notion that a midsized truck should be able to do midsized jobs. And a small slide in camper would seem a midsized job.
But I’ve looked at the Colorado and its a cheaply made piece of crap. It doesn’t compare to the Ranger or the Tacoma or the Frontier. Itsa frigging car with a bed.

I guess, like the media, I am biased. i love Chevy trucks but donnalikey the Colorado one bit.

BKB

Thumper
10-05-2020, 05:48 PM
But I’ve looked at the Colorado and its a cheaply made piece of crap. It's a frigging car with a bed. BKB

Well, it's MARKETED and CLASSIFIED as a mid-sized truck. I don't get where you say it's a "car with a bed". Any Chevy fan who went to a dealership to buy a mid-sized truck would not see a "car with a bed", they'd SEE a mid-sized truck. When I look at a Honda Ridgeline, I see a "car with a bed", but who wouldn't, especially with a dang 300lb. load limit. When I look at the GM entries, I see a "mid-sized truck".

If I bought the GM mid-sized truck and found out the restriction after purchase, I'd be livid! I simply made this post as an educational thing. I doubt many people would realize the short-coming until it was too late and I'm sure no salesman would point it out to any potential buyer.

Here's a Ridgeline and a Colorado ... I don't know of ANY non-Democrat who wouldn't see the difference. HEY! I may have just figured out the problem here! :banghead
Yes, I can see the difference HERE, the Honda looks like a "car with a bed" (which it actually is), not unlike the old El Camino or Ranchero, but the Colorado looks like any other mid-sized truck to me and it's marketed as such.

11927 11928

johnboy
10-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Colorado has a rated payload capacity of around 1450lbs. I would think if you stayed under this limit with whatever you like, they would have a problem denying warranty. Camper or bags of cement, what's the difference?

Oh yeah, checked out the Colorado/Canyon when looking for a new truck and yes, they are crap.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Speaking of light trucks, my brother still has the red Chevy LUV he drove in high school parked in his barn. It still runs and he fires it up and drives it around the farm some.

A guy has to have some real bench seat memories to keep a truck that long.

BKB

Thumper
10-05-2020, 07:08 PM
You’d sure think that Johnboy, but the owner’s manual as well as the glovebox sticker (pictured above) says “no slide-in camper”. That right there can be used to screw you over.

P-hole, my buddy (my parts manager at the time) had a Chevy Luv back in the late 70’s (in Los Angeles). We had a long grade on I-5 called “The Grapevine” and every time he’d climb that grade, his passenger side carpet would start smoking! He carried a couple bottles of water and he’d just pour water on the carpet to keep it from catching on fire! It happened with me in the passenger seat one weekend when we were in the mountains camping and riding dirt bikes. We were in his truck on an old dirt fire road climbing a long, steep grade It pissed me off because he couldn’t find his water bottle and I had to dump my beer on it! Every time he’d hit a long grade, his catalytic converter would overheat and catch the frigging floor on fire!

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 07:30 PM
I used to do work for an old man in Florida named Woodrow Wilson Spell. He called them ‘Catalina Converters’.

BKB

airbud7
10-05-2020, 07:56 PM
little kid bit y'all probably already know...
Chevy Luv = Isuzu

Ford Courier = Mazda

Thumper
10-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Ha! P-hole, I used to have a service advisor who could NEVER pronounce it. He always said “cat-lick-it” converter. He wasn’t messing around, he honestly could not pronounce it correctly. There were a few of us who tried our best to get him straightened out, but he’d get so frustrated he’d just get all tongue-tied. We finally gave up and as far as I know, he still calls them catlickit converters.

quercus alba
10-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Only thing you can do with a cattle dick converter is drive a piece of one inch galvanized pipe thru it. Several times.

Thumper
10-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Wouldn’t have worked in L. A. Ya’ had to have annual smog checks and new converters are a bit pricey.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2020, 09:08 PM
Only thing you can do with a cattle dick converter is drive a piece of one inch galvanized pipe thru it. Several times.

I cored one out with a horseshoe stake once. The car ran much better once you unplugged the damn exhaust.

BKB

quercus alba
10-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Wouldn’t have worked in L. A. Ya’ had to have annual smog checks and new converters are a bit pricey.

I lived in L.A (Lower Arkansas) and they never did a smog check on me

Thumper
10-05-2020, 09:35 PM
Maybe I should clarify. How ‘bout City of Angels? 😉

Trav
10-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Maybe I should clarify. How ‘bout City of Angels? �� I bet there ain’t a single angel in that shit hole.

Thumper
10-05-2020, 09:45 PM
There was, but I moved away. 😉

johnboy
10-06-2020, 01:54 PM
I had a problem believing that you were not allowed to carry a camper in this truck so looked it up in the Owners Manual. Yup, no camper allowed!

"Truck-Camper Loading Information

The vehicle was neither designed nor intended to carry a slide-in camper.

Caution

Adding a slide-in camper or similar equipment to the vehicle can damage it and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not install a slide-in camper or similar equipment on the vehicle."

What crap! Wonder if this is made known to potential buyers BEFORE they buy the damm thing. I think GM might be a risk for a lawsuit here. Looked online and there are a million pics of Canyons with slide in campers on board.

Thumper
10-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Yessir. When my lawn guy told me about it, I simply nodded in agreement, but inside I was calling bullshit. Out of curiosity, once I got back in the house, I asked my old friend Google about it. Personally, I found it almost impossible to believe, even after reading it. My first thought was the same as yours, do they disclose that fact BEFORE the sale? Sure, it’s in writing, but I’d have to think ANY buyer would naturally assume a small camper would be no problem.