PDA

View Full Version : LEO question, but you have to read the thump post first.

Arty
10-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Sunday night i was hunting with 2 other guys at the club. We parked in the same parking area and headed in together. I shot a doe at 5:45, field dressed it drug it out, got it loaded, drove to the corner mart and got some ice on her. By that time it was nearly 7, and last light is 7:15. Rather than drive on home I went back to the parking area, changed out of my hunting clothes and boots, threw on a pair of shorts and and croks, and waited on the other two guys to get out of the woods. One of the guys came back to the truck at 7:25’ish. At 8:30 we were still waiting on the other guy. We knew he didn’t have cell service on that piece of woods, and we had determined he was lost or fell out of the stand. We decided to go in after him. I threw my pants and boots back on and we went into the woods looking for him.
Half a mile in we found him, he got turned around on the trail, and had ended up basically circling a short marked trail for an hour.
So we get back to the truck, I take my boots off and my pants off (I just put them on over my shorts). I took my flashlight and my pistol and put them in my backpack that was sitting on the tailgate. And off I went. 2 hour drive home.

Get home... can’t find my pistol. Tore truck apart. Twice. I determined that when I pulled my pants off in the parking area that it fell out of my pocket (I use a little 380 that slides into a leather back pocket holster). So I text a guy in the club that lives 15 minutes from the lease. Next morning he goes out there, looked around parking area for an hour. Short mowed grass, shoulda been easy to see. It wasn’t there.

So, I call the Virginia Beach police department to report it lost. They tell me to call Accomack county since I think I lost it there.
I call Accomack county and after taking name make model serial etc... she puts me on hold. For like 10 minutes. I get off hold and it’s someone else, “this is officer Campbell and I have your firearm”.

It was on the side of a major 4 lane highway. I hadn’t put the gun in my pack, I had sat it on the hard top cover of my pickup. It made it several miles before it slid off.

The good news is that it was found. I was very worried that a kid would find it and shoot themselves, or that a thug would find it ans kill some old lady with it.

The bad news is the officer told me that it looks like it’s been run over “a dozen times by a semi, it’s in pieces”

When I asked him when I could pick it up he told me that it had to be run through databases and “held”, and he wasn’t sure how long before I could get it. He actually said “might be several months”.

So here is the question... Why would they need to hold on to it “several months”.

??

It might be in pieces but I still want it. I can probably buy a new frame for it. And even if I can’t I still want it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2020, 12:00 PM
I think it’s on account if you’re a dumbass. Convince me I’m wrong.

Arty
10-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I think it’s on account if you’re a dumbass. Convince me I’m wrong.

What size stool do you use? If I member correctly it’s a size 44 short?

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2020, 12:12 PM
Answer: Because you’re a dumbass.

That’s as close to LDP as i can get.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Agreed. One step below a Slackass.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Where is smartass on that scale?

BKB

DeputyDog
10-06-2020, 01:23 PM
I my opinion, there is no valid reason. A check in the serial number to see if it’s been reported stolen would take seconds. If it’s in pieces, I’d guess it’s not in firing condition to do a test fire to run it through a ballistics database so that would be ruled out.

My only guess is that they are planning to run a trace through ATF on it, but those don’t provide much info. Usually dead end after the initial purchase unless subsequent transfers are through a FFL.

Of course, Indiana is nowhere near as liberal as VA so they may just think you’re a dumbass and shouldn’t be allowed to have a gun.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Dumbass 3 votes
All other reasons 0 votes

LJ3
10-06-2020, 01:43 PM
+1 for Daryl. Dumbass. He's laughing at your from heaven, you realize that, right?

Arty
10-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Sounds like I shoulda kept my mouth shut.

Thumper
10-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Dang! I've been out looking for a dumbass all day today. Who'da thunk I'd find one right here at G/H? I should'a just stayed home. :poke

airbud7
10-07-2020, 06:45 AM
scenario of gun....stranger finds gun moments after you lose it, shoots antifa protester, tosses gun on highway, police find it, now it's evidence.

LJ3
10-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Sounds like I shoulda kept my mouth shut.

Hey, at least it wasn't a pair of $600 sunglasses :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 10:00 AM
I made a reference to that episode and slinging your cellphone into the bed of your truck, but it flew over his head like a Doug Williams pass.

BKB