PDA

View Full Version : The epitome of denial ...

Thumper
10-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Eddie Van Halen dead at 65 from cancer. Another great taken way too early. BUT ...

Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago.

Really???

airbud7
10-06-2020, 05:51 PM
he developed cancer in the exact spot on his tongue where he held the guitar pick...his lungs were clear?

Thumper
10-06-2020, 06:42 PM
he developed cancer in the exact spot on his tongue where he held the guitar pick...his lungs were clear?

Where would that happen to be? Like right where the end of his cigarette would be? And the throat cancer was from of all the picks he swallowed?

He led a rock star type of life.

From my good friend Google:

Smoking and drinking alcohol.

Smoking: Smokers are five times more likely to develop tongue cancer than nonsmokers.
Alcohol: About 70 percent of people diagnosed with oral cancer are heavy drinkers. This risk is higher for people who use both alcohol and tobacco.

airbud7
10-07-2020, 06:30 AM
well apparently you got your medical license since the last time we talked. explain Willie Nelson then!....He chain smokes that good s*** 24/7.....:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQANmQO2g0

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 07:01 AM
The good shit doesn’t cause cancer.

But I’m with AB on this one. I’ve never liked it when someone dies and people are quick blame them for some personal responsibility for it. My own son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 9, and of course we had to listen all of the ‘you shouldn’t have let him have that much sugar’ comments. (sugar doesn’t cause type 1, a virus does)

We’re all responsible in a bigly way for our health, but so are genetics, exposure to carcinogens, and maskless presidents (sorry had to throw that in).

Too badwe weren’t all perfect!

BKB

Thumper
10-07-2020, 07:07 AM
Heck, the REALLY good shit CURES cancer! (Doesn’t it?) ;)

Thumper
10-07-2020, 07:20 AM
In all seriousness A/B, judging from your defensive (sounding) response, I’m assuming you’re a (cigarette) smoker. If so, it would fit right into this “denial” thread. The reason I ask is, you sound just like my, life-long smoker, sister. ANY time anyone approaches the subject of quitting, she always comes up with a name of some OLD smoker who’s still kicking. She figures it’s a justification (in HER mind) that nobody can argue with. I don’t mean to sound condescending, I’m just curious.

airbud7
10-07-2020, 08:07 AM
We’re all responsible in a bigly way for our health, but so are genetics, exposure to carcinogens, and maskless presidents (sorry had to throw that in).

Yes to all^....especially the genetics part.

PS: Thumper done forgot what a :-) stands for...he done got to be a serious old Fart!... :D

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Heck, the REALLY good shit CURES cancer! (Doesn’t it?) ;)

Hell, I’ve been into the good shit for 40 years and am, so far, cancer free. There may be something to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 08:37 AM
They say that after you have stopped smoking for ten years your chances for developing cancer are about the same as non smokers. I made it nine years and nine months before I lost my left kidney to cancer. There’s no doubt in my military mind that mine was caused by many years of smoking. I can assure you that when it comes to habitsand health, the chickens do in fact come home to roost eventually. And so I am a pretty militant non smoker (the worstest kind).
But even with all that I’d never try to tell someone else what their habits need to be. I’d prefer we just go after the vampires who make billions off of our addictions.

BKB

Thumper
10-07-2020, 09:00 AM
I hear ya' P-hole AND A/B. Trust me, I understand and get sick and tired of people giving me shit about my weight. Why don't you cut down on your eating? Why don't you eat healthier? Why don't you do this? Why don't you do that? It gets really tiring, but I normally admit it's a problem instead of making excuses. I guess that's the difference.

I'm not here to preach or condescend, I just thought the "guitar pick" excuse was a real stretch ... and a goofy one at that. Cigarettes killed my father-in-law (the type cancer was 100% attributed to smoking). We had many conversations over the years and he said he smokes because he really enjoys it. (I can't relate, as I've never smoked) Just before he died as hospice was visiting, he finally confessed to me he wished he'd never picked up the "first cigarette". BTW, he died of the exact same cancer (can't remember the name) that killed Tony (Gator).

Tony (and his then wife) was a chain smoker and he always had money problems for some reason. I remember he blew the engine in his Chevy truck and had to scrape the money together to have it rebuilt. Shortly after getting it back on the road, the transmission went out, and the money was tough to come up with to fix it, but without a truck, he was out of business. Shortly after he got back on the road, he AGAIN blew the engine (cheap rebuild with no warranty I think). He had a little Chevy S-10, a total beater and managed to get by with it during the down times, but it was FAR from ideal and barely did the job. One day he told me he REALLY needed a new truck but there was no way he could afford one. I looked at him and asked how many packs of cigarettes he and Karen (his wife) smoked per day. If I remember correctly, they each went through 2 packs per day. (it may have been more, but I know it was not less). I asked how much a pack of cigs cost (I had no clue, but was shocked at the answer). I put a pencil to it and told him if he and Karen quit smoking, he could make the payments on a brand new truck, pay his insurance and much, if not all, of his gas bill with the savings!

His response was, "No way, I enjoy my cigs!" That's when I told him I didn't want to hear his bitching and moaning about always being broke and not knowing how he was gonna be able to work without his truck. A few years later he was dead from the exact same cancer that killed my stepdad. Tony and I had become VERY close friends, but had had a falling out before his death and it has always saddened me that he passed while we were on bad terms and basically, not even speaking.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever expressed this here, but after going through episodes like the above, I've grown to have total respect for those around me who have kicked the habit. Posthole, TW and Bucky come to mind, unless my memory fails me. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Len also falls into that category and probably a couple others here. I'm just a bit aggravated with my sister as she's going through some health issues right now and they are cigarette related. The docs have told her to quit or she's going to die. She went through a program (some sort of drugs while in the hospital) and it worked. She actually quit smoking ... but unfortunately, picked it back up 6-8 months later. She now refuses to listen to her doctor and also refuses treatment (to quit again). Why? She says, "I enjoy my cigarettes." She's my closest and favorite sister and it kills me to see what she's doing to herself, but who am I to interfere? Heck, I'm supposedly eating myself to death.

LJ3
10-07-2020, 09:39 AM
I've battled with smoking my whole life. Went almost 10 years without at one point. Now I smoke when I'm out drinking and I give myself permission to smoke on the Canada trip for some reason. I always regret it but there I go.

I get it's hard to watch people get sick from bad habits but you said yourself. Your eating habits have you a big ole boy now. You could change but you haven't. You're just as weak as the people you listed that got lung cancer. So I think you should prolly zip your pie hole about it when it comes to EVH. I mean that in the most loving way possible :D

Penguin
10-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Lol! Len wakes up with his "Grrrrr" in high gear. :)

Judging from his response I'm betting Jimmy's weight only started going up when disco fell into disrepute. So get up and get moving Jimmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D4hcrkI2xU

Thumper
10-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Well, I’m making Lynn drive to Orlando, so I still have my phone to check in on youse bozos. Lenster, if you’ll go back and read my first paragraph (as well as the last couple sentences of my post) you’ll see I pretty much agree with you. What baffles me (as you just demonstrated) is how defensive, and many times outright nasty, people get when you try to discuss this subject.

Thumper
10-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Ha! Sorry Willy, you slipped in here while I was writing the above. I’m not totally innocent here. My “excuse” is that I’m not capable of getting any real exercise since my 12 dang back surgeries. I gave up hunting. I gave up my “adventure” type traveling, along with most any physical activities. My love of food is all I have left. See? You can ALWAYS find an excuse, but that doesn’t mean it’s really valid.

Penguin
10-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Have a good trip Jim.

Lesson here is that while we still love each other like brothers that love does not reach to the level of our love for our smokes, cans of dip, or cheeseburgers. :)

Take care bud. :)

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Crickets must be high in cholesterol.

BKB

quercus alba
10-07-2020, 10:36 AM
I can't say that I've every intentionally listened to a Van Halen song. I googled some of their songs and the only one I recognized was Jump and it sucked.

different strokes and all that

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 10:55 AM
I wasn’t much of a fan of his music either. His music was mainly pop music for 80’s era youngsters who were hair band fans.
He once compared himself to Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton in a Rolling Stone article. I’ve never taken him seriously since.

Still. I’m sorry he died.
BKB

LJ3
10-07-2020, 03:10 PM
2 things -

1- Sorry Jimmy. I was being more of an asshole than I needed to be :) Let he who is without dog shit on his shoes take the first step on to the white carpet. It ain't gonna be me!

2- EVH was not pop music. Their brand of rock is what drove the stake thru the heart of disco, if nothing else. The song "Jump" was pop music but Eddie said "I wanted to see if I could write a good pop tune", turns out he could. When Sammy Hagar joined them they got kinda softer, not my cup of tea. The earlier stuff was hard rock.

3 - While not the hugest Van Halen fan, I like their earlier stuff. As a guitar player who loves and studies guitar, the people that play 'em, build 'em and everything that goes with it, my opinion (the same as many notorious guitar players praising EVH now) is that he was the biggest influence and game changer since Hendrix. He changed the way almost every rocker coming up behind him played the guitar. He took it places nobody else ever thought of, much less could actually play. Same as Jimi did. Nobody else has done that before or since and there's a generation of guitar players that followed in his footsteps. I would absolutely put him at the same level of influence over rock as Hendrix and Clapton.

4 - Bite me

airbud7
10-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Eddie definitely had a style that was only his...he could play two or three guitar chords and I could guess it was him.

I saw them live two times in the early 80s in Augusta Georgia

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 07:39 PM
2 things -

1- Sorry Jimmy. I was being more of an asshole than I needed to be :) Let he who is without dog shit on his shoes take the first step on to the white carpet. It ain't gonna be me!

2- EVH was not pop music. Their brand of rock is what drove the stake thru the heart of disco, if nothing else. The song "Jump" was pop music but Eddie said "I wanted to see if I could write a good pop tune", turns out he could. When Sammy Hagar joined them they got kinda softer, not my cup of tea. The earlier stuff was hard rock.

3 - While not the hugest Van Halen fan, I like their earlier stuff. As a guitar player who loves and studies guitar, the people that play 'em, build 'em and everything that goes with it, my opinion (the same as many notorious guitar players praising EVH now) is that he was the biggest influence and game changer since Hendrix. He changed the way almost every rocker coming up behind him played the guitar. He took it places nobody else ever thought of, much less could actually play. Same as Jimi did. Nobody else has done that before or since and there's a generation of guitar players that followed in his footsteps. I would absolutely put him at the same level of influence over rock as Hendrix and Clapton.

4 - Bite me

Meh. I’ll bet you like robin trower too.

BKB

quercus alba
10-07-2020, 09:38 PM
EVH was not pop music. Their brand of rock is what drove the stake thru the heart of disco, if nothing else. The song "Jump" was pop music but Eddie said "I wanted to see if I could write a good pop tune", turns out he could.

Shame it couldn't have been the other way round, In this old boys opinion Disco beat what Van Halen called music by a country mile

LJ3
10-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Meh. I’ll bet you like robin trower too.

BKB

I like a few songs. Love his strat tone but he gets a bit monotonous pretty quickly.

LJ3
10-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Shame it couldn't have been the other way round, In this old boys opinion Disco beat what Van Halen called music by a country mile

This is why we have voter ID laws. Your perceptions are severely damaged!

DeputyDog
10-07-2020, 10:12 PM
This is why we have voter ID laws. Your perceptions are severely damaged!

I though we had voter ID laws so that we could disenfranchise people and restrict the vote.

Thumper
10-07-2020, 11:29 PM
TBH, although I admired his guitar playing abilities, I never was a fan. But Hendrix he's not.

LJ3
10-08-2020, 05:47 AM
They each had their own style but they both accomplished the same thing. Because of their talent and ability, they changed the way the electric guitar was played for most people that came after them. They both changed the game in the same way. I don't like admitting it but EVH could run circles around Jimi.

LJ3
10-08-2020, 09:07 AM
I though we had voter ID laws so that we could disenfranchise people and restrict the vote.

Close. The true intent of those laws are to prevent people who listened to disco from entering a polling place.

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 09:21 AM

quercus alba
10-08-2020, 09:43 AM
sounds like Len is just ashamed of his past