PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Captain

Buckrub
10-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Larke, wherever you are, I hope you can read this somehow.

I want to thank you. I have a lot to thank you for, from helping my family get a job and a house, to fixing my father in law's fish cooker, to taking the kid that my daughter tried to adopt fishing. But one big thing I have to thank you for is my Muzzleloader.

1995 I think it was. I hated muzzleloading. I had a Knight Disc ML .50 cal and you had to be a rocket scientist to get it apart to clean it (special tool) and back together. Smoke everywhere, nasty cleaning, limited distance. I was about ready to give up ML hunting totally.

Larke had me out to his farm that October. I went during Arkansas' ML season, so I could miss it! LOL. But I believe it was the best time for him due to birthdays and other commitments he had. It was 294 degrees Kelvin, I swear. High over 95 every day of Arkansas season back home. I never got a shot at a deer but missed a bobcat. I also saw my first piebald deer, a little fawn with his mother. Larke had a pair, a mature doe and buck both piebald, with full body mount, in his living room. Just awesome.

But he introduced me to the first smokeless Muzzleloader I ever saw. Now THAT was a better mousetrap! It was the first Savage MLI, before the Feds made them change the 'module' concept. He was sighting it in one day in middle of day. That's the day he shot his ramrod out of his gun, and it HIT the target!!! LOL. I remember I asked if we could change his Moniker here from "Captain" to "Ramrod". He said "there are two kinds of people in the world. Those who have shot their ramrod out of their muzzleloader, and those who will". I laughed......I'm still waiting on being the first kind.

But that started me on the quest to get a smokeless muzzleloader, instead of giving up on that week like I was about to. It's one week the middle of October and I just go to have something to do. But I did end up with a nice custom smokeless muzzleloader out of the deal. I have a Savage that I got after seeing his, and later had a custom gun made..........or put together anyway..... a few years ago.

I missed a deer last year at a long distance with it. Drew blood but barely. I saw him later in the year healthy, so I know it was not much more than a paper cut. But I had every intention of sighting in that gun this summer, way before ML season. Well, 2020 has not been kind to me and I never got it done. Today I finally just went to the local range, got in line and got it done. First two shots at 100 yards, no scope adjustments, right on.

Then at 200 yards, a five inch drop.

Bingo. Plus no nasty cleanup like black powder would be.

Thanks again Larke.

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2020, 05:25 PM
That’s what GH is all about. Great post and I’m glad you got out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
10-07-2020, 05:42 PM
That reminds me, I drew a muzzleloader tag for this season and need to get out to sight in the smoke poles. But unlike Bucky, I will need to do lots of scrubbing as I don't have the smokeless versions and we are limited to either open sights or a scope with either 0x or 1x so 200 yards might be a bit of a stretch.