PDA

View Full Version : Weird Human Stuff

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 07:56 PM
So here’s two oddities of humankind I’ve experienced first hand.

1. My father in law, GRHS, had a heart valve replacement with a mechanical valve and if you were sitting anywhere close to him you could hear him ticking. And it would speed up and slow down with his heart rate and was quite mesmerizing. Like a tappet in an old Chevy. Once when we were drinking I offered to get him some STP. He got it right away.

2. My Dad stopped watches. I have bought him four or five myself and it only took a few months and they’d be goners. We tried self winding, crystal, you name it he killed it. The strangest thing.

BkB

airbud7
10-07-2020, 08:48 PM
some people can find water with a stick!

https://prd-wret.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets/palladium/production/s3fs-public/styles/side_image/public/thumbnails/image/Agriculture_in_Britain-_Life_on_George_Casely%27s_Farm%2C_Devon%2C_Englan d%2C_1942_D9817.jpg

I shit you not, it works!

DeputyDog
10-07-2020, 10:07 PM
I saw my Dad do that once when I was a kid. To this day I’m not sure if it was legit or if he was pulling a fast one in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2020, 10:22 PM
One of my grandpas witched the well in 1969 that my parents still use to this day. I watched him do it. He also guessed within 10-20 feet of how deep they’d find water.
He didn’t say anything about the sulfur.

BKB

Thumper
10-07-2020, 11:26 PM
Piece of cake here. I can dig ANYWHERE and find water a few feet down. ;)

Big Muddy
10-07-2020, 11:36 PM
My dad was an expert at dowsing underground water sources, except he used a bent wire coat hanger, as a dowsing rod....I’ve witnessed his success several times.....two shallow wells are still in operation in remote areas of our farm, which he located with that simple wire coat hanger.

I was raised on shallow well water, and as Tpost said, the water usually contained sulphur and/or iron, which turned your white clothes yellow, when washed.....as a joke, I told folks I was nearly 18 yo before I found out my drawers didn't come yellow from the store. ;)

Big Skyz
10-08-2020, 12:01 PM
I believe people do generate and give off electrical pulses. Some stronger than others. As for me I'm hard on rangefinders. When they first came out I went through 3 or 4 within just a few years. They would work fine until I got them in my hands and then they would go all haywire. It got so bad I wouldn't even dare pick up some one else's range finder for fear of ruining it. Eventually I bought a Leica rangefinder and the problems stopped, but there are a pile of Bushnell, Leupold, and Nikon rangefinders that don't like me. I posted this and then remembered I had the same problem with small camcorders when the first came out as well. Friends would buy them and they would work fine. I'd get the same models and they would all fritz out within just a couple months. I gave up on those after 4 or 5 as they were quite expensive back then. I switched to full sized camcorders and of course my smart phone and haven't had any trouble with them.

airbud7
10-08-2020, 08:19 PM
as a joke, I told folks I was nearly 18 yo before I found out my drawers didn't come yellow from the store. ;)

Thumper said Sunday through Wednesday he goes yellow in the front, brown in the back, Thursday through Saturday it's brown in front, yellow in back!....:D

Arty
10-08-2020, 10:08 PM
My grandma on my moms side, who lived until I was 35, would tell you if you had a fever just by looking at you. She never touched a forehead then an ear and then the cheek. She’d tell you from 10 feet away.
She said she could “see it”. She’d tell you when you walked into her house. Even if you didn’t know or think you had one, she would say “I see a fever in you, go get the thermometer and see”.

And she was right. Damn near always. Actually... as best me and my brothers and sister can recall, it was always. My mom says the same from her experience growing up. Along with 2 uncles and an aunt.

She was supposedly 1/4 Cherokee, but I’m pretty sure everyone’s grandma was 1/4 Cherokee if you grew up in Kentucky.

My DNA is nearly 0% Native American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
10-08-2020, 10:30 PM
I asked my grandpa about our family tree, when I was a kid.....all he'd say was, "Let those sleeping dogs lie, sonny boy." ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 10:40 PM
My Mom has told a cherokee great grandma story for as long as I can remember. I had my dna tested and I have 0% NA. So have my cousins. My Mom still doesn’t believe it. Should we call her Pocohantas?

BKB